Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synaptics not recognized by OS [KDE][AcerAspire-5542][OpenSUSE 11.3][x86_64]

Default Synaptics not recognized by OS [KDE][AcerAspire-5542][OpenSUSE 11.3][x86_64]

Hi everyone, I recently moved to openSUSE from mint Isadora, and got this problem, I can't use the lock/unlock touchpad button. It works fine the first time (It locks the touchpad), but cannot unlock it back, I was searching a lot in this forum but can't find an answer that suits my needs. (I've got the same problem on Isadora, fixed it but i just like OpenSUSE more than Isadora)

All the answers where related to the synaptiks drivers, and my OS simply can't find it, I uninstalled the synaptiks package and re-installed it back, but Desktop Settings -> Mouse & Keyboard -> TouchPad keeps showing a warning that no synaptiks it's installed.

I will higly appreciate all the help you can give. If no one found this bug before, I will appreciate a link to where report the bug.

PD: To make this post understandable, I need one of the following solutions;
    *Get opensuse tho recognize the synaptiks drivers or
    *a tweak to make the touchpad on/off button to work as expected.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Synaptics not recognized by OS [KDE][AcerAspire-5542][OpenSUSE 11.3][x86_64]

The manufacturer does not support the advanced features of the touchpad. There is a link from the synaptics website to here:
    Linux Driver for the Synaptics TouchPad
    I believe you would have to package the driver yourself (help here!) before installation. There are no guarantees that the features you require would be available.

Default Re: Synaptics not recognized by OS [KDE][AcerAspire-5542][OpenSUSE 11.3][x86_64]

I've Installed kcm-touchpad, but it's no working,
    synclient -l output is
    Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?
    But there is a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-synaptics.conf that I didn't create!
    Does this mean that it found the device at least once? or does the file come as default when Suse detects it is a laptop?

How can I Know why isnt' synaptics loading? Should I open a new thread with this specific quiestion?

Quote Originally Posted by galileopy View Post
    I've Installed kcm-touchpad, but it's no working,
    synclient -l output is
    Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?
    Same problem here. And I have a Dell machine, this is a command line tool, and I actually changed from 64 to 32 bits, because I guessed maybe 64 bits is not so common on laptops and there is no driver available.

So I think the KDE, Acer and x86_64 tags could be removed from this thread The problem seems to be very generic.

I'd guess all the graphical front-ends use the same backend, so the issue is really to get synclient work.

Quote Originally Posted by Caged_Monkey View Post
    The manufacturer does not support the advanced features of the touchpad. There is a link from the synaptics website to here:
    Linux Driver for the Synaptics TouchPad
    Hmm, that link is completely obsolet. It points to a newer page, but the newer one is not availalble anymore.

Blog Entries

I think both of you don't have a synaptics touchpad. This happens a lot: manufacturer says it's synaptic, and it isn't.

BTW mine has a non-synaptic touchpad, works fine here. Looks like kcm_touchpad is not available for KDE 4.5.2.....
    - Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 30 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540, openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 + KDE 4.10 + GNOME 3
    - ASUS A73SD, Intel + GT610M Optimus, 6 GB, 120 GB SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed

Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    I think both of you don't have a synaptics touchpad.
    That could be the case. The kernel detects mine as a PS/2 mouse. Wonder how to find out what it really is. hwinfo command does not reveal anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    I think both of you don't have a synaptics touchpad. This happens a lot: manufacturer says it's synaptic, and it isn't.

BTW mine has a non-synaptic touchpad, works fine here. Looks like kcm_touchpad is not available for KDE 4.5.2.....
    My similar Acer also ID'd a PS/2 mouse but actually has an Elantech touchpad. I was only able to confirm this by booting Windows and checking Device Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by caprus View Post
    My similar Acer also ID'd a PS/2 mouse but actually has an Elantech touchpad.
    Are you able to configure it in any way? What does synclient say? (mine actually works, but I need to configure it because it is much too sensitive)

Quote Originally Posted by caprus View Post
    I was only able to confirm this by booting Windows and checking Device Manager.
    Had that idea, too. But the machine in question is not dual boot and Microsoft does not offer LiveCD. (Would be interesting to see their bloatware fit on a CD

Quote Originally Posted by geuder View Post
    Are you able to configure it in any way? What does synclient say? (mine actually works, but I need to configure it because it is much too sensitive)
    I wish I could offer more encouragement, but I've not had much luck yet. However, part of the reason may be that I've been on the road for the past month and could not give this problem my full attention. I'll be home late next week, so I'll try again then. For a summary of my trials to date you could check here and here.

Had that idea, too. But the machine in question is not dual boot and Microsoft does not offer LiveCD. (Would be interesting to see their bloatware fit on a CD
    Blue Ray disk ?
    MS user 1988-2008, Linux user 1998-present, openSUSE user since 2004
    (The first computer I used had a punch card reader)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast