Symbol lookup errors after updating libkdecore4

After updating libkdecore4 to version 4.5.1-297.7 from repository Index of /repositories/KDE:/Distro:/Factory/openSUSE_11.3, a lot of applications fail to start or crash shortly afterwards (Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome). Especially kdm does not start, and startx with environment variable WINDOWMANAGER set to /usr/bin/startkde (the default value on my openSUSE 11.3) fails with:

/usr/bin/kde4-config: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData11detach_growEPii
/usr/bin/kde4-migrate: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/kde4-migrate: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData11detach_growEPii
kde4-config: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData11detach_growEPii
kde4-config: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN9QListData11detach_growEPii

I guess I cannot do much except for waiting for an update which fixes these problems, but is there any repository-specific bug tracker I could report this issue to?

Thanks,
Frank

Try this:
upgrade qt to version 4.7 (Index of /repositories/KDE:/Qt47/openSUSE_11.3). Probably you must remove python-kde4 and some kde plugins.
By

the repo you’re using is being switched to qt4.7, and will soon become KDE 4.6. is this what you want? if you’re intending to continue KDE 4.5.1, you should use

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.3/

phani.

For me this issue started when I added the repository you mentioned, but this one is also switched to Qt 4.7. >:(
so far the stable repositories >:(

Also installing the Ati fails. >:(

Is there a quick fix or do I have to role back everything.

Regards,

Boudewijn

Since this problem appeared on my “production” machine, I’ll stick with KDE 4.5. Therefore I switched to Upstream release (KDE SC 4.5) repositories, see KDE repositories - openSUSE. A distribution upgrade (or actually a downgrade in my case), i.e., zypper dup, helped to get back to a sane installation state.

Thanks for your replies!
Frank

Same problem here, could not start some apps anymore so I restarted X and saw kdm crashed.
I edited /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and changed DISPLAYMANAGER to lxdm to boot LXDE.

I will try correcting the repositories…

I solved all the dependencies, for me synce was blocking a update to Qt 4.7. Now KDE is running but installing the ati driver still fails, probably because of a Qt 4.6 dependency.

So I’m also going to disable the Index of /repositories/KDE:/Release:/45/openSUSE_11.3 repository.

The reason why I added this repository was that with my old set of repositories KDE was downgraded to 4.4.4 even with the Upstream release (KDE SC 4.5) enabled.

I changed my KDE repository to the upstream kde 4.5 sc and I’m back on KDE again :slight_smile:

umpf, for me & many others the repo i mentioned works fine. what distro are you using?

Also installing the Ati fails. >:(

i’m using nvidia, but i’ve read a lot about ati problems recently. far as i remember that’s connected with one of the recent kernel updates. i’ve seen a mailing list post linking to a work-around, let me see if i can find it…masterpatricko: Build ATI fglrx RPMs on openSUSE – part 2 is one of them. there’s many posts about ati driver problems with the new kernels in the opensuse mailing list. depends a lot which card, which driver, and which version you’re using it seems. here’s the opensuse mailing list archive: openSUSE Mailinglist Archive: opensuse look in the latest one, i.e., this month.

Is there a quick fix or do I have to role back everything.

“stable” KDE 4 at the moment is 4.4 i believe. if there’s nothing messed up with your present repos and you can’t get 4.5.1 to work, i’d downgrade to 4.4. IMO there’s quite some improvements in 4.5.1, but 4.4 isn’t bad either…

phani.

I’ve solved my issue. The extra packages repository was, by mistake, still in the factory directory. So it happens that a package with qt4.7 was installed.
Changing this repository to the right one solved the qt4.7 issue, but to make it work I fist had to downgrade KDE to 4.4.4 and then upgrade to 4.5.1 with the
correct repositories.

The ATI install problem is a know one because the ATI driver are incompatible with the latest kernel update, which was available in the new repository.

It seem to be solved, only have to wait for the 10.10 drivers.
Regards,