Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 11.3 x64 DVD Install vs. liveCD

Default 11.3 x64 DVD Install vs. liveCD

A new problem needs a new thread.

Following the latest installation ( see this Partitioning of a (new) Windows 7 HD), a new problem arose after the install completed.

Environment: Gateway NV, i5-430, 4GB, 500GB HD (partitioned), Intel GMA

sda1,2,3 : the normal Windows 7 stuff
    sda4: extended, containing openSUSE (sda5 (swap), sda6( / ) and sda7 (/home)

followed by about 115 GB empty.

11.3 x64 fails to boot in normal mode, yielding a black screen. Addition of acpi=off will allow boot to complete successfully ~10% of the time. However, the Intel GMA is not recognized. Research found this Graphics Card Driver for GMA HD Please, but, frankly, this is beyond me.

Failsafe boot completes successfully. However, in every case, the repos are "locked" by /usr/sbin/packagekitd, and never release. (By never, I waited up to 30 minutes).

Needless to say, this is a bit of a problem. However, there is a bright side: the liveCD (Gnome) boots, recognizes the Intel GMA, and works wonderfully. This begs the question: might the DVD install, which experienced some wrinkles during its two (2) attempts, have a problem that the liveCD does not have ?

In absence of any alternatives, I plan to restore the HD to original condition (as shipped), re-partition from the liveCD, and re-install. Any comments on any and all of the above remarks are appreciated.

BTW: I am writing this from the liveCD with Firefox. The sound card and wireless are recognized, but not configured in the liveCD environment.

Sean

PS: I have not had this much fun (seriously) in a few months!
    Lap: Gateway NV79, i5-430, 4GB, 2 x 500GB HD, Intel GMA HD
    openSUSE 12.3 x64, KDE 4.12.4, Ubuntu 12.04LTS+10.04.3 LTS, Windows 7

Lap: openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.12.4, Windows/XP/SP3 guest and a Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS boarder

Blog Entries

Default Re: 11.3 x64 DVD Install vs. liveCD

Why re-partition

Just re-install over the top if that's what you want to do

In the live cd, open a terminal, type: su
    once root, type: lspci -v

Around the top of the output it should tell you what driver is loaded for the graphics
    Don't post everything here
    or paste it all here: SUSE Paste
    and link us
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

(from the liveCD)

Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    	Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 031c
    	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 28
    	Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
    	Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    	I/O ports at 3050 [size=8]
    	Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
    	Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
    	Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
    	Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
    	Kernel driver in use: i915
    The live CD seems to exercise the above quite well. The desktop effects (OK, I know, it's only Gnome) are great. Other than the hesitation accessing the DVD-drive periodically, this is not that bad! I am burning a KDE liveCD (I would be doing this anyway, for a complete set).

Lap: openSUSE 12.3, KDE 4.12.4, Windows/XP/SP3 guest and a Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS boarder

Blog Entries

Was your install done as KDE or Gnome?
    KDE and intel seem to have some issues around the forum. I would plan for Gnome. Why not just try installing Gnome from the Live CD
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

The install was for a Gnome desktop from the (full) DVD install. I usually install Gnome (I like it), then add KDE when the Gnome environment is stable.

I will re-install, and post back later.

Thanks for the assist.

Sean

Attempting install of liveCD over previous installation hiccup'ed with a "-0007" error. Attempts to boot Windows met with errors, necessitating a Windows recovery. This is not a problem, for the 5 or 6 files were backed up.

At this point, I restored the partition layout to factory re-partitioned with Windows, and ran the install of the live CD. All went well, until the required boot. After the green logo (large, 1024 x 768, vga-0317), followed by the green logo (small, 1600 x 900), the black screen popped up. The PC was not dead, just blind, as a great deal of HD activity went on.

"Failsafe" boot-mode works correctly. After several test boots of the "normal" config, the resolution comes from either "nomodeset" or "acpi=off", which allows boot and operation with restricted graphics (1024 x 768).

"Desktop effects" is off. All updates were applied, including the kernel, updated to 2.6.34.7-0.3. The net effect is that the DVD install and liveCD install result in the same environment, although the liveCD was a faster install.

I have found several forums entries re: the Intel GMA, although it seems that I am not the only person experiencing these problems.

As for my earlier post, regarding ~10% successful boot on the previous installation, the liveCD install has yielded exactly ZERO success without "nomodeset", "acpi=off" or selection of Failsafe mode.

I will be starting the second phase (wireless, USB and external HD testing, and install of KDE 4.5.1) in the next few hours. The net result will be a 64-bit mirror (except for userdata files) of my 32-bit 11.3/KDE 4.5.1 laptops and box.

Blog Entries

My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

I have read that item. Either my eyes or fingers (or brain?) are burned out, but when I do
    Code:
    Run Level 3. Now typically, when reconfiguring a graphic card, it is best to do this NOT in X window, but rather in the full screen terminal run level 3. One boots to run level 3 by pressing "3" (no quotes) when the initial grub boot menu first appears. By pressing "3" one will see the "3" appear in the options line. Then boot normally. That brings one to a full screen text login. Login as a regular user.
    I do not get Runlevel 3, just a black screen. Nothing like the scrolling lines I get in Failsafe mode.

As soon as the GRUB menu appears, I press 3, which goes to the "Boot Options" line, I boot and nothing different occurs.

My thoughts keep returning to the question "Why does it work OK with the liveCD (1600 x 900, all graphics features, etc), and fail on the system installed by that same liveCD ? Two differences immediately come to mind: the liveCD uses a different driver or the problem lies in GRUB or the bootloader.

During the install, a message was displayed that
    Code:
    the bootloader is not completely below 128 GB ....
    and the ... may not boot properly
    Is that problem still valid ? The entries boot Windows, and SUSE with "nomodeset" or "acpi=off".

Blog Entries

the bootloader is not completely below 128 GB .... and the ... may not boot properly
    Don't worry abut that.

I do not get Runlevel 3, just a black screen. Nothing like the scrolling lines I get in Failsafe mode.

As soon as the GRUB menu appears, I press 3, which goes to the "Boot Options" line, I boot and nothing different occurs.
    This is troubling...You should be able to boot to level 3

In the default boot my vga is (vga=0x314)
    What is yours
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

vga=0x317. I will try changing that to 0x314 and see what shakes out.

Just to re-cap: my options line should read

Code:
    3 vga=0x314
    ?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast