Staying logged in

Currently this seems to be implemented in a slightly buggy manner.

Sometimes I stay logged in across restarts of Firefox and even restarts of my computer. I can view my profile, start threads and respond to threads without re-logging in.

Sometimes, after a restart, I go to the forum main page and it shows “My Profile” and I click it and can view my messages fine. but when I try to reply to a message, it asks me to log in.

Sometimes it simply logs me out when I try to refresh the page after a restart.

I’m not 100% certain why this seems to act this way, but I have one guess: could it possibly be that I log in sometimes on two different computers, and this case will cause the other computer to log me out?

FYI the forums are tied to openSUSE/Novell login which has a default
timeout of 60 minutes then cuts the connection. I suspect this is what
you are running into.

Kim - 9/22/2010 12:45:42 PM

No, that cannot be it because sometimes I am able to shut down for the night, come back the next day, restart the computer (9 hours later), startup the browser, go to forums.opensuse.org and reply to messages and post new ones without relogging in.

6tr6tr wrote:
> No, that cannot be it because sometimes I am able to shut down for the
> night, come back the next day, restart the computer (9 hours later),
> startup the browser, go to forums.opensuse.org and reply to messages and
> post new ones without relogging in.

he is correct, the timed log-out is no longer assured, nor
consistent…and, hasn’t been for months…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

Hey 6tr6tr,

>No, that cannot be it because sometimes I am able to shut down for the
>night, come back the next day, restart the computer (9 hours later),
>startup the browser, go to forums.opensuse.org and reply to messages
>and post new ones without relogging in

Then you are running into some kind of anomaly with the login system
which we here in the forums aren’t in control of. The login system has
a 60 minute connection timeout (which I’ve tested) and the forums have
an 8 hour connection timeout.

Kim - 9/22/2010 3:59:12 PM

There is a session timeout, I’m sure, or maybe its a per session cookie, either way its very annoying to have to login every time i come to the forum.

Sometimes, after a restart, I go to the forum main page and it shows “My Profile” and I click it and can view my messages fine. but when I try to reply to a message, it asks me to log in.
Worse is that it allows me to type a message out in the basic editor, but if I use the “Go Advanced” button, or sometimes just posting the reply,it asks me to log in, then the message is lost.

Kim, thanks for that info re connection timeouts. :slight_smile:

I have had similar results to @6tr6tr, usually when I shutdown overnight without logging off forum. Next day boot, SeaMonkey (mainly) will restore my logged-in forum session. I can browse, and e.g. use New Posts. I can prepare a reply to a post, but on sending it I am also forced to re-login and then the system adds the post to the thread. At that point, browser back/forward buttons go nowhere, so I re-select forum home page and all works normally.

The irritation comes when in a hurry I forget that process will happen. lol!