Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What temp should my Hard drives be?

Default What temp should my Hard drives be?

I just downloaded hddtemp and ran it and got:

/dev/sda: 43C
    /dev/sdb: 48C

Is this bad/ok?

Default Re: What temp should my Hard drives be?

That looks a bit high to me but it is in working temp. You might consider more case air flow ie more fans and make sure cables are not blocking air flow around the drives.

6tr6tr wrote:
    > /DEV/SDA: 43C
    > /DEV/SDB: 48C

ok

--
    DenverD
    CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

That's about the same temp as my notebooks C2D processor. Hmm, assume you have a desktop pc? Maybe it should be a bit cooler. I expect sdb is on top of sda, right?

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    That looks a bit high to me but it is in working temp. You might consider more case air flow ie more fans and make sure cables are not blocking air flow around the drives.
    Just to test, I've had the side wall of the computer completely off (so it's open to the room). The room is 23.3C. After 35 minutes of this the HDs' temps went up!

/dev/sda: 45C
    /dev/sdb: 49C

Quote Originally Posted by consused View Post
    That's about the same temp as my notebooks C2D processor. Hmm, assume you have a desktop pc? Maybe it should be a bit cooler. I expect sdb is on top of sda, right?
    impressive, you're 100% correct.

Probably because you screwed up the air flow from the cooling fan(s).

Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    impressive, you're 100% correct.
    "Elementary"... Hot air rises, so the the upper one should always be warmer, unless it has its own cooling system.

If you have the space allow some additional space between drives. This is purely an air flow problem and some cases are better then others. Also as good practice tie up you internal cabling with straps and try to route them to allow max flow around all components. You may also consider an additional case fan or two. There are also heat sinks that can be purchased that help cool components like drives and memory. Then there is always water cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    If you have the space allow some additional space between drives. This is purely an air flow problem and some cases are better then others. Also as good practice tie up you internal cabling with straps and try to route them to allow max flow around all components. You may also consider an additional case fan or two. There are also heat sinks that can be purchased that help cool components like drives and memory. Then there is always water cooling.
    Unfortunately, I can't move the wide gray cables. They barely fit the HD's as it is (their length is ridiculously short and I barely got two HD's on there, with one at the end of the cable). How much is an extra case fan and where would I put it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast