Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: openSuSE 11.3: Kernel Update 2.6.34.4-0.1: "initrd" broken ?

Default openSuSE 11.3: Kernel Update 2.6.34.4-0.1: "initrd" broken ?

Hi all,

I hope this does not offend if it's not posted in the correct forum, but I did not find anything more appropriate...

OK, I updated to Kernel 2.6.34.4-0.1 (desktop) using the online actualisation (Updater Applet). It installed the kernel OK, but the initrd seems to be broken: After a restart the PC got stuck just after "GRUB" and I landed in the mini-shell.
    The kernel resp its initrd was not able to load from an ext4 root partition.

After lots of rebooting using the original kernel and checking ... too long a story. Then I re-did the "initrd" just by running "mkinitrd" again, after that I was able to successfully boot again.

Did anybody have a similiar experience ? Is it possible that the official "initrd" of kernel 2.6.34.4-0.1-desktop is broken ?

Regs,
    Thomas

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSuSE 11.3: Kernel Update 2.6.34.4-0.1: "initrd" broken ?

There have been issues with this
    Keyboard & mouse freezes

Your problem sounds like a hiccup during the update process
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Hi,
    I have the same problem!!
    Anatoly

Hi?
    I updated to Kernel 2.6.34.4-0.1 (desktop) using the online actualisation (Updater Applet). It installed the kernel OK, but the initrd seems to be broken: After a restart the PC got stuck just after "GRUB" and I landed in the mini-shell.
    The kernel resp its initrd was not able to load from an ext4 root partition.
    Did anybody have a similiar experience ? Is it possible that the official "initrd" of kernel 2.6.34.4-0.1-desktop is broken ?
    Regards
    Anatoly

Hm, I did the update again on a notebook, but there it went fine; GRUB's "menu.lst" was correct and the labtop booted correctly. I wonder if the more complicated setup of my first box tripped the installation:
    - I have 2 disks: "sda" (HDD) and "sdb" (SSD, later added)
    - GRUB is installed in MBR of "sda"; boots a kernel located on "sdb"; root file system is on "sdb"
    - So GRUB's active "menu.lst" is found on "sda2, but a copy resides on "sdb2 as well; that's were the installation made the changes
    - The installation changes were incomplete (as I can see now after the 2nd installation on my notebook):
    - "kernel" entry started with "resume=....", had NO entry naming the kernel itself
    - "initd" entry was completely empty
    -> At that time I assumed there was now a kind of a default option to GRUB; no "kernel" = use "vmlinuz", no "initrd" = use
    "initrd.gz"...obviously not. Of course, here GRUB failed immedeatly with "file not found" as no kernel was given to it.
    - After fixing this issues manually in the active "menu.lst" on "sda" (above is the "long story" of my first post), the real problem of landing in the mini-shell (which does not know about file system type "ext4") began.

Thomas

I've now updated two laptops and the only obvious change was that the GRUB list had a changed order on the dual boot machine. So is the problem dealing with an unusual menu.lst?

Blog Entries

I know the installer didn't get it right when I installed on my box and it wrote sda (first boot device) as hd1 in menu.lst

After a proper reboot my system was Jeffed. I had to boot a live cd and manually edit menu.lst correctly.
    Not something your average user is likely to find easy.
    I figured the problem later when I went to the Yast > Bootloader
    Hidden away there the HD order was wrong, sda was in second place, so I moved it up, let it propose a New configuration, double checked everything, let it run and bingo, it worked. I mean it was working anyway from my manual edit, but I just wanted to figure the issue.
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

Blog Entries

I assume now, that this is happening only on multi disk systems?
    - Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 30 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540, openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 + KDE 4.10 + GNOME 3
    - ASUS A73SD, Intel + GT610M Optimus, 6 GB, 120 GB SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed

Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

I am installed 11.3 only one new disk, only one system. Normally, OK. Add next 2 disks late, OK, update every 3 days, OK, update yesterday, and... crash. Only minimal Bash-like grub. First hdd 1,5 Tb, /sda1-swap, /sda2-ext4. next disks mount /home, +1Tb,/sdb +0,5 Tb,/sdc.
    Anatoly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    I assume now, that this is happening only on multi disk systems?
    True for me.
    But an easy fix ;-)
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast