Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installation to a USB stick using Suse Studio Image Writer

Default Installation to a USB stick using Suse Studio Image Writer

I'm trying to use the image writer and it isn't working. The help page (SDB:Live USB stick - openSUSE) says:

2b. Or install SUSE Studio ImageWriter for Microsoft Windows

3. Insert your USB stick (1 GB minimum). Note: Any data on it will be lost!

4. Launch SUSE Studio Image Writer (It's located in the application menu under Utilities, Archiving, USB Key Writer)
    Imagewriter

5. Now simply drag the downloaded Live CD ISO file from the file manager, and drop it on the Imagewriter Window. Then click "Write". And in a minute or two you're done and ready to go!

Well, my image writer looks different than what shows in the help page. I try to drag n drop and can't do it. If I "choose file", the image writer only allows me to pick a .raw file, not .iso.

BTW, I'm running XP.

Default Re: Installation to a USB stick using Suse Studio Image Writer

I want to install Suse 11.3 on my 4Gb USB stick and have it work like it's on a hard drive, not like a "live cd". I want to be able to install programs and add files and have it still be there the next time I boot.

How can I install on a USB stick?

As I understand the 11.3 CD images can now be persistent....

But you must realize that USB sticks are not made to be active devices. Due to limitation on cheap flash memory they will wear out quickly if ther are lots of erase write cycles.

I'm just trying to make a bootable device so I can use it to boot up windows pcs and virus scan them. I found a help topic that gives a boot script to make use of the leftover partition of a usb after installing suse one so it works like a hard drive install, but that didn't work for me. I wiped the usb and went to re-install with new version 11.3 and I can't install it with the image writer.

I have tried aswell with the tool but it only accepts .RAW archives, no .ISO archives.
    Currently I am trying to see if the makers of LiLi Linux Live USB Creator can make LiLi compatible tool for Live persistent USB for openSUSE.
    On their website you can submit new Linuxes for inclusion in their appliance, and I call upon all on this forum to submit the regular openSUSE Linuxes for inclusion
    for if there is demand for it they said they would make it work for LiLi.
    So don't submit your own creation for inclusion as those do not qualify, but submit the openSUSE linuxes as posted on DistroWatch and when they include that it should make any self made openSUSE compatible aswell I think.

Blog Entries

Hi
    Your better of to use SuSE Studio and build your own image (as a .raw) and use that. You can then customize and test before downloading and installing on a usb device.

Welcome - SUSE Studio
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

As a simpler method, try scrolling down the sdb page till you get to 'Install the hard way'.
    There is a link to the dd tool for windows.
    Try using this.
    This will allow you to copy the live kde or gnome iso to the stick.
    I take it that what you want to do is create a persistent install that will remember your settings. The 11.3 live isos do this atumatically on first boot. They format the unused partition as the pesrsistent storage..

If you are wanting to add extra programs to the default live iso, you are better off using MalcolmLewis's suggestion of creating your own build image in suse studio.
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    (How to ask questions)

Hi, thanks for your tips.
    Currently I am at my seventh version of my own built at suse studio.
    After posting I solved the problem the following way:
    The iso I installed to my usb using UNetbootin. Ofcourse no perstistence made there.
    Then I used PDL-Casper-RW-Creator from Pendrivelinux website to create a 3 GB image file to store my settings etc.
    Now I have my own suse linux running from my usb.

I do think though that there should be a tool made specificly for opensuse to install to usb with persistent feature.
    If I knew how to I would make it.

Cheers

an easy way to let the studio recognize the image is just change the format of the image. In windows under folder option under the show hidden button just unclick the "show hidden formats' then jus change the iso to raw on the image file and it would work thanks

When you run the Image Writer it loads up click on select then where it ask you to open a *.raw file, click on in the text box where it is labeled file name type *.* click the open button next to it you can now open *.ISO image files too instead of just *.raw files then copy them to a USBdrive with the writer. *.* stands for all file types or just all files.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast