lost my bar at the bottom of the screen?

clean install of 11.3-64 on my 64 bit intel box. have had desktop lockup a few times and did a ctr/alt/bs to reboot the gui. lately, I right clicked on the bar at the bottom of the screen and went to properties. then clicked on “left” for bar position and bar totally disappeared. when I move the cursor all around the screen even on the edges and hit the left mouse button (thought that would bring it back) nothing happens. so how do I get my bar back?

thanks,
charles…

Main Panel - Windows Live

what does that mean?

Hi,

I see two possibilities:

Either your desktop is extended beyond your screen: does your mouse dissapear if you move it passed the edge of the screen?

Or, something strange happened and you closed the panel. Unlock widgets and go to the left side of your screen: add panel.

Do a console login
http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pCyTqEB2CVJRkUpG6G21JFjWLr8Ng-t3gN5lkgeToNZUMw-CnVghUkI0hVJd2ZSEsFFiWfVRDMgQsU3_BWHM9bQ/console.login.png?psid=1

Then once logged in as you do this

mv .kde4 .kde4-old

now do:

startx

shultzjr wrote:
> what does that mean?

do you know how to click on a link?

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

Sounds better than loosing a screen at the bottom of a bar :smiley:

first, thanks guys for all your help, but
what it says I should see i don’t see, no login terminal choice.
I do see 4 different gui’s to log into at the bottom of the startup screen but terminal isn’t one of them. add panel is not on the list either when I right click the desktop.
when I try a ctl/alt/bs to kill the x11 session it just goes to a gui login screen again. I would like to edit some startup file so that I see all the commands being executed instead of a “dumb” picture and just boot to a command prompt. then I could go into a gui if I need/want too. sorry about not seeing the link before since it doesn’t show up that way unless one moves a mouse over it. I started with slackware long ago and used other distros now been using suse for about a week. going to use suse/redhat (or centos) for the business side of things. the standard install gives one 4 virtual terminals and my cursor does not disappear off the screen.

later,
charles…

This can happen if your plasmaappletrc file gets corrupt. I’ve had it happen a few times when going from single-> dual screen and v.v.

To fix, you need to edit ~/.kde4/share/config/plasmaappletrc (or that file somewhere in ~/.kde4)
and look for panels/containers that have their width/height/x/y coordinates set to negative values. They’ve in essence moved off the screen, and changing the coordinates back fixes the issue.

DO NOT do this while logged in to KDE… instead, use another WM (XFCE, ICEWM, Gnome) to make this change, then go back after saving the changes.

I think that my default desktop is gnome and that is the one that is messed up.

See if you can boot to level 3 and start Yast and create a new user login account:

Level 3 Boot and Yast - Windows Live

shultzjr wrote:
I would like to edit some startup file so that I
> see all the commands being executed instead of a “dumb” picture and just
> boot to a command prompt. then I could go into a gui if I need/want
> too.

that can be done! easily!

when the first green screen comes up, type a single 3 (which will
appear on the boot parameters line) and hit enter…that will cause
you to boot to runlevel 3 and see a sign in prompt (no X running)…

then to get to the X GUI type startx…

careful, do not log in as root and then launch the GUI as
root…always do that as you, a simple user…

AND, as soon as you have typed and entered 3, then press Esc and cover
screen will fall down and you can watch the boot messages (as god
intended)

you can automate both processes, easily…and, a little googling in
the forums should turn up exactly how…

> I started with slackware
> long ago and used other distros now been using suse for about a week.
> going to use suse/redhat (or centos) for the business side of things.

if you are looking for a business server you just need to know that
the default install is now tailored for desktop users…you can easily
add all the server ‘stuff’ by opening YaST, go Software > Software
Management and (with only THREE repos enabled: oss, non-oss and
update) spin the “Filter:” (near the top) from “Search” to “Patterns”
and scroll down to “Server Functions” and pick all you want…and,
you may probably want to look for other ‘patterns’ like “Console
Tools” in Base Technologies and maybe some in “Development”

if you wish as you install your production system, you can do all of
those choices DURING install…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD [posted via NNTP w/openSUSE 10.3]

I had that problem when I set the firefox in auto start.
By removing autostart I resoved that.

the rest of the story:

I repartitioned, reformatted and did a clean 11.3 install. but before that I emailed myself my bookmarks so I wouldn’t have to do them over. on a 1T drive it will be 400G for suse, 400G for fedora, and what’s left for the data files all in their own separate partitions. at least my bar is back.

thanks…