Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: HELP! Function keys missing... (Lenovo edge)

  1. #1

    Default HELP! Function keys missing... (Lenovo edge)

    Hey everybody,

    I have a strange problem.
    I installed a fresh 64bit installation of 11.3 on my new Lenovo edge 15'' laptop.

    It was great!
    Everything (and I mean everything) worked right out of the box and I was really impressed.

    I tried to install some VOIP software (yes it was skype...) and now everything just went down the toilets...

    The hotkeys stopped working completely, and the USB ports are not working.
    I guess something changed some configuration files without me knowing...

    Does anyone has any idea how to fix this?

    Thanks,
    Ran

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,693

    Default Re: HELP! Function keys missing... (Lenovo edge)

    ranr01 wrote:

    >
    > Hey everybody,
    >
    > I have a strange problem.
    > I installed a fresh 64bit installation of 11.3 on my new Lenovo edge
    > 15'' laptop.
    >
    > It was great!
    > Everything (and I mean everything) worked right out of the box and I
    > was really impressed.
    >
    > I tried to install some VOIP software (yes it was skype...) and now
    > everything just went down the toilets...
    >
    > The hotkeys stopped working completely, and the USB ports are not
    > working.
    > I guess something changed some configuration files without me
    > knowing...
    >
    > Does anyone has any idea how to fix this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ran
    >
    >

    Which skype did you install, I mean where did it come from (skype homepage,
    some repository). If from the skype website, which of the different versions
    available there (rpm, dynamic, static?)?
    Are you using gnome or kde (this is most probably unrelated to your problem,
    but who knows)?




  3. #3

    Default Re: HELP! Function keys missing... (Lenovo edge)

    I downloaded the skype suse rpm from their website.
    I'm using KDE.

    Anyway I'm not sure that the problem is even related to skype.
    I installed and uninstaled several packeges (skype, pulseaudio, ekiga, linphone and some I don't remeber) while trying to get some VOIP app running smoothly.

    Thanks,
    Ran

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,693

    Default Re: HELP! Function keys missing... (Lenovo edge)

    ranr01 wrote:

    >
    > I downloaded the skype suse rpm from their website.
    > I'm using KDE.
    >
    > Anyway I'm not sure that the problem is even related to skype.
    > I installed and uninstaled several packeges (skype, pulseaudio, ekiga,
    > linphone and some I don't remeber) while trying to get some VOIP app
    > running smoothly.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ran
    >
    >

    If you do not remember exactly what you installed do the following

    rpm -qa -last > lastrpms.txt

    in a terminal.
    This will craete a text file lastrpms.txt which contain your installed
    software and the date/time when it was installed.
    Hope that helps to identify what are candidates for the problem.



  5. #5

    Default Re: HELP! Function keys missing... (Lenovo edge)

    Quote Originally Posted by martin_helm View Post
    ranr01 wrote:

    >
    > I downloaded the skype suse rpm from their website.
    > I'm using KDE.
    >
    > Anyway I'm not sure that the problem is even related to skype.
    > I installed and uninstaled several packeges (skype, pulseaudio, ekiga,
    > linphone and some I don't remeber) while trying to get some VOIP app
    > running smoothly.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ran
    >
    >

    >>>If you do not remember exactly what you installed do the following
    >>>
    >>>rpm -qa -last > lastrpms.txt
    >>>
    >>>in a terminal.
    >>>This will craete a text file lastrpms.txt which contain your installed
    >>>software and the date/time when it was installed.
    >>>Hope that helps to identify what are candidates for the problem.


    Thanks for the advice.
    Unfortunately that did not work. the only records I have there are from a month ago. (I use zypper and yast to install pkgs I don't know if they use rpm)
    Isn't there just a file with the key-bindings that I can just download?
    Or isn't there a way to get suse to rescan and reconfigure the computer again?
    It is not a hardware compatibility issue since everything worked all right in the past.

    Ran.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,693

    Default Re: HELP! Function keys missing... (Lenovo edge)

    ranr01 wrote:

    >
    > Thanks for the advice.
    > Unfortunately that did not work. the only records I have there are from
    > a month ago. (I use zypper and yast to install pkgs I don't know if they
    > use rpm)


    All which is installed via zypper and yast is in this list. If you don't
    have it there something very starnge happens on your machine. The newest
    package installs are always on top of the list, maybe you looked at the end
    of the list where the oldest installs are (yast and zypper use of course the
    underlying rpm system).

    I am working with gnome but you should be able to change/restore the
    keybindings in the kde control panel manually (I do not know how it is named
    exactly since I do not have it).
    I do not know if one can download somewhere some kind of config file with
    the keybindings, maybe someone else has an idea how to reset your kde to the
    original state.
    A very brute force method is to delete or rename the .kde4 folder in your
    home directory, but then you loose all your kde settings (and be aware
    kontact's emails are also stored in that folder).


  7. #7

    Default Re: HELP! Function keys missing... (Lenovo edge)

    Thanks for your advice. I'm sorry I did not reply sooner.
    The reason is that for a couple of days I had my fn key back!!!
    everything worked fine.
    Today they stooped working again...

    It's like the computer has free will or something.

    Anyway I'll try and tinker with the .kde lib and let you know what happened.

    Ran

  8. #8

    Default Re: HELP! Function keys missing... (Lenovo edge)

    Quote Originally Posted by ranr01 View Post
    Thanks for your advice. I'm sorry I did not reply sooner.
    The reason is that for a couple of days I had my fn key back!!!
    everything worked fine.
    Today they stooped working again...

    It's like the computer has free will or something.

    Anyway I'll try and tinker with the .kde lib and let you know what happened.

    Ran
    Nothing I do helps.
    It drives me CRAZY.


    Ran

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,693

    Default Re: HELP! Function keys missing... (Lenovo edge)

    ranr01 wrote:

    >
    > Nothing I do helps.
    > It drives me CRAZY.
    >

    What happens if you create - just for testing - a new user and login as this
    new user? Is the problem also there?

  10. #10

    Default Re: HELP! Function keys missing... (Lenovo edge)

    Now they started working again.
    I have no idea why...
    Thanks for your help anyway.
    If it happens again I'll try what you suggested.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •