Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did an upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3. System boots but hangs at the desktop.

Default Did an upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3. System boots but hangs at the desktop.

Hi,

I upgraded OpenSUSE 11.2 to 11.3 today using Zyyper on my laptop. Everything went fine with no errors whatsoever. At the end, a message was displayed at the terminal asking me if I want to see the notifications. I pressed "Y" and the system hanged there and then. I had to do a hard reboot.
    After reboot the system booted fine but hanged at the desktop with no response from the keyboard, mouse, touchpad, etc.
    The situation's same after many reboots. System boots fine but hangs at the desktop. Screen resolution changed to 800x600.

Only power button works! I use it to log off and then do a reboot. No other key works. Any way to repair this installation guys?

My laptop specs are:
    (Lenovo G550) Core 2 Duo T6600, 3GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, Intel X4500MHD on-board graphics.
    I have a tri-boot setup, other OS'es being Ubuntu and Vista with Ubuntu being the default OS.

Thanks in advance for your time and replies.
    Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, 3GB DDR3, 320GB, Intel X4500MHD | OpenSUSE 11.3, Ubuntu 10.04, Windows Vista

Default Re: Did an upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3. System boots but hangs at the desktop.

I would guess that you have graphic driver issues.

Try this: on the boot selection screen, type "3" and <enter> to boot into runlevel 3. Does that hang as well?

Try searching this forum for your Intel graphics card. You may have to install a proprietary driver.

By the way, not that this would help you now, but for the future: if you have a choice with the laptop, pick a model that has either a Nvidia or ATI card in it. I find that it's a lot less work to get Linux distros to work on them if they have one of those cards in them.
    Desk: AMD Phenom II X4 945 8GB RAM Radeon HD 3300 Arch Linux Xfce 4.8
    Lap: Intel 2.13GHz Core i3 M330 8GB RAM nVidia GeForce 310M Arch Linux KDE 4.7.3

Blog Entries

Default Re: Did an upgrade from 11.2 to 11.3. System boots but hangs at the desktop.

Did you try a failsafe boot?
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

@ twelveeighty

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I typed "3" at the boot selection but that didn't help or I must say didn't show up. Nothing happened after I pressed "3".
    I must tell that I have Ubuntu as the default OS and I have to choose OpenSUSE from the list.
    Thanx for the advice regarding Nvidia and ATi Sir. I'll keep this in mind when I make another purchase.

@ caf4926

Yes Sir, I tried failsafe boot but got on the same hanged desktop. Can we repair the installation? I have the 11.3 installation DVD.

Thank you guys for your time and replies.
    Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, 3GB DDR3, 320GB, Intel X4500MHD | OpenSUSE 11.3, Ubuntu 10.04, Windows Vista

Blog Entries

Try creating a new user account via level 3 Yast
    Boot to Level 3, then Yast and More....
    Login with it or try (you must have auto login disabled too.
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

Blog Entries

Another one: rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf if you have one. Or remove it. That way you would leave it all up to the system's autodetection and -configuration.
    - Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 30 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540, openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 + KDE 4.10 + GNOME 3
    - ASUS A73SD, Intel + GT610M Optimus, 6 GB, 120 GB SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed

Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    Another one: rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf if you have one. Or remove it. That way you would leave it all up to the system's autodetection and -configuration.
    Yep good idea

At the login become su -

do this

Code:
    mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.old
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

@caf4926

Thanx for the reply. I created a new user through "Yast" following the odp presentation from the link You provided. But result's the same. I have got a login screen now but can enter anything, no mouse or keyboard functions available. One thing I noticed is that the "Analog Clock" widget on the desktop is working.

@ Knurpht

Thank You for the reply. Please have a look at the screenshot from the link below. There's no X-org.conf file Sir, only a folder named "xorg.conf.d".

Thank You for Your time and replies.

Blog Entries

That is the wrong dir

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

xorg.conf is a file

So just go to /etc/X11

is there a file in there: xorg.conf
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

@ caf4926

Thank You for the reply.
    No Sir. There is no "xorg.conf" file. I am sorry that I posted the wrong screenshot. I navigated to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and came back in X11 directory but the path is shown as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d in the previous screenshot-dunno why.

I am posting the screenshot again. Please have a look.

Thanx for Your time and replies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast