Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Won't save display settings

Default Won't save display settings

Hi,

when I set my screen size (e.g., to 1680X1050) to anything other than the default, it won't save the change permanently. It means I have to change it each time I start OpenSuSE.

Anyone know why this is? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Won't save display settings

You haven't told us how (specifically) you are you trying to change it? Are you using KDE or Gnome? If you want it to be permanant, you can create/modify xorg.conf accordingly, (or via a strartup script with xrandr commands), although anything other than the native display resolution will usually result in less visual clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    You haven't told us how (specifically) you are you trying to change it? Are you using KDE or Gnome? If you want it to be permanant, you can create/modify xorg.conf accordingly, (or via a strartup script with xrandr commands), although anything other than the native display resolution will usually result in less visual clarity.
    Thanks for your reply.

I'm using the System Settings module in KDE.

The default setting is different from the native setting, so I need to change it.

It's perplexing as to why it won't simply save the settings.

Ok, now I understand. The systems settings does not stick - it actually sets the diplay mode via xrandr. Restarting the X-server causes the default mode to be used again.

There are 2 appraoches to fixing this (xrandr or xorg.conf edit). Post your xorg.conf file if you can:

Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    If using openSUSE 11.2/11.3 this config file might not exist, in which case one can be created.

XRandR Approach: One way to permantly set a preferred resolution via xrandr is to do the following. Type

Code:
    xrandr
    to get a list of available resolutions.

There is a (hidden) ~/.xprofile file for each user which is executed on login. You can edit that file with an editor like this

Code:
    kwrite ~/.profile
    Then add a line like

Code:
    xrandr --output default --mode 1680x1050
    Then restart the X-server, or logout and back in again.

That will cause that display mode to be used after logging in.

Alternatively, you can create a bash script to do the same, make it executable (with 'chmod +x name-of-your-script' , and put it in .kde4/Autostart/

For example

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    xrandr --output default --mode 1280x1024
    If you want this to happen earlier (during Xorg startup), then the xorg.conf approach is better. I can run you through that when you supply your existing xorg.conf file.

Thanks! Ok, there doesn't seem to exist an xorg.conf file. (I also looked in the directory.)

Code:
    :~ # cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    cat: /etc/X11/xorg.conf: No such file or directory
    Should I create the file?

Blog Entries

We need some more info:
    please post output of
    Code:
    su -c 'lspci'
    (enter rootpassword when asked for)
    You can check which driver is used for the videocard by entering "sysinfo:/" in the address bar in Konqueror.

You may also take a look here: openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users
    - Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 30 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540, openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 + KDE 4.10 + GNOME 3
    - ASUS A73SD, Intel + GT610M Optimus, 6 GB, 120 GB SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed

Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Quote Originally Posted by Knurpht View Post
    We need some more info
    Ok, here it is...

Code:
    :~ # su -c 'lspci'
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL Memory Controller Hub (rev 04)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d3)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FR (ICH6/ICH6R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    02:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306 Fire II IEEE 1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller (rev 80)
    02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    02:04.0 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem

You can check which driver is used for the videocard by entering "sysinfo:/" in the address bar in Konqueror.
    Vendor: Intel Corporation
    Model: 915 G
    Driver: intel

Thanks. I will look at it now.

For users who prefer to work without the (deprecated) xorg.conf, the xrandr approach is good. Did you try that? Otherwise proceed with the graphics card guide and generate a xorg.conf as explained there.

same problem here on opensuse 11.2. I am going the xrandr way, but i am stuck with:

Then add a line like

Code:
    xrandr --output default --mode 1680x1050

What should i put for output default?
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

What should i put for output default?
    As far as I understand, you can use that line for any default display. If you prefer, you can use the exact name for your display. Typing

Code:
    xrandr
    in a terminal should give you this info (eg LVDS, VGA-0).

Otherwise trawling through /var/log/Xorg.0.log will provide details about display name(s) too.

Code:
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    BTW, try the command in a terminal first for immediate effect (and testing purposes). When you're happy with results, consider putting within one of the script locations.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast