Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boot problems

Default Boot problems

Ok, so I installed openSUSE recently alongside Windows Vista. Vista is on a C partition. D and E are partition I created on windows before installing openSUSE. D and E are both empty. This morning I decided to merge D and E into one. I didn't realise this would affect anything, as I've done this before with no problems. But now when I start up the computer it won't even getto the grub screen where I can choose to boot either Windows or openSUSE. Instead, I get this:

Code:
    GRUB Loading stage1.5

GRUB Loading, please wait...
    Error 15
    Can anyonle please help me so I can at least choose to boot Windows so I can fix this? I don't mind if I have to reinstall Linux, but I need windows. Any help here is appreciated. Please note I'm a noob at this, so you might have to explain a lot.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Boot problems

Do you have a Vista DVD?
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Do you have a Vista DVD?
    No. The only disc that came with my notebook (which was bought new April last year) was a XP "product recovery media". Vista was already installed.

But if it comes down to re-installing an OS, I would want it to be openSUSE, not Windows.

BTW, if I re-installed windows, which is on C drive, would I lose all my personal files that are on C drive?

Blog Entries

You should be able to copy all the files from windows with your Linux Install, either to your linux partition or a backup external drive
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by diddy29 View Post
    Code:
    GRUB Loading stage1.5

GRUB Loading, please wait...
    Error 15
    Since error 15 means "file not found" I think the reason is that you have one partition less after merging the D: and E: partition. So grub doesn't find the files any more. Could you please boot the system with a Linux (!) live CD? Please type on a console after doing so:

Code:
    fdisk -l
    Also mount the partition where /boot is and go to /mountpoint/boot/grub and type

Code:
    cat menu.lst
    You need to be root to do so.

bye

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by erikro View Post
    Hi,

Since error 15 means "file not found" I think the reason is that you have one partition less after merging the D: and E: partition. So grub doesn't find the files any more. Could you please boot the system with a Linux (!) live CD? Please type on a console after doing so:

Code:
    fdisk -l
    Also mount the partition where /boot is and go to /mountpoint/boot/grub and type

Code:
    cat menu.lst

bye

Erik
    Ok. Thanks, I'll try that. Luckily I still have the live CD.

Blog Entries

You could post a fdisk -l for us

and or try this
    Re-Install Grub Quickly with Parted Magic - openSUSE Forums
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

Quote Originally Posted by erikro View Post
    Hi,

Code:
    fdisk -l

Code:
    cat menu.lst

bye

Erik
    I have sucessfuly run the live CD. I went to the terminal and typed in fdisk -1 and got the following:

Code:
    Absolute path to 'fdisk' is '/sbin/fdisk', so running it may require superuser privileges (eg /root)
    What does this mean and how do I go from here? I'm not sure how to do what you mentioned in the rest of your post. I am a n00b at Linux so could you please walk me through step-by-step? Thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by diddy29 View Post
    I have sucessfuly run the live CD. I went to the terminal and typed in fdisk -1 and got the following:

Code:
    Absolute path to 'fdisk' is '/sbin/fdisk', so running it may require superuser privileges (eg /root)
    What does this mean and how do I go from here? I'm not sure how to do what you mentioned in the rest of your post. I am a n00b at Linux so could you please walk me through step-by-step? Thanks.
    User "root" is the name for the administrator and of course the administrator has superuser permissions.

The regular user on the liveCD is user "linux" and the password for the regular user is <enter> . The password for the root/administrator on the liveCD is also <enter>

Try this:
    Code:
    su -c 'fdisk -l'
    and press <enter> if prompted for a password. That line means run the command 'fdisk -l' with administrator (root) permissions.

Note also, fdisk -l is a lower case letter L, not number 1

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast