Almost 100% CPU usage by NTFS drivers! Any solution?

I am have been noticing nearly 100% Usage by the NTFS driver. According to top the “mount.ntfs-3g” use up to 100% when I am accessing NTFS partitions (one 1 core I believe). My CPU is reasonably fast Intel E8400 3.0 ghz. I find it horrible that its stuck at nearly 100% just because I decide to heavy access the NTFS file systems.

I have been google online and have seen dozens of similar complaints. Most people haven’t found a real solution. Is there really any good solution for this?

When I was running Windows XP, I never noticed anywhere near 100% usage when access the Hard drive heavily. Is the Linux NTFS drives just very bad in performance compared to the native Windows drives? >:(

ntfs is a windows file system and ntfs-3g is an open source implementation of it.

I have no such issue on any of my machines. And so it begs the question: Are you using bleeding edge packaging or doing something out of the ordinary that could account for your experience?

NTFS-3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did a test on my computer and while the total CPU is near 100%, less than 30% can be attributed to the driver. Other processes are also being used besides the NTFS partition driver. I do not know just what kind of tasks you are performing, but I had to copy 20 GB of data to have any sort of sustained CPU usage. If I was copying that much data, I would expect the system to slow down, though my Web Browser keep on clicking during the test. Each person is entitled to their opinion, but I think it is much ado about nothing and normal Linux kernel operation. And, one could switch to a pure native partition format like EXT3 or EXT4 to help improve speed.

Thank You,

It was running heavy torrent usage. Maybe its the multiple non-sequential writes at the same time that set this off? I doubt there any experimental driver that I am using. From what I hear even native partition likes like Ext3/4 maybe have high cpu usage issues.

In normal file copy (say 5 GB), it is still using 46% usage. Maybe I will take screenshot next time I kick of bunch of torrents.

Main reason I use NTFS is that is readable by Windows also.

How much disk space do you have on your NTFS partition ? I found that the ntfs-3g driver would poll the CPU quite heavily when I was short on disk space.