Huawei E156G modem: can't set up internet connection :(

I’m a complete newbie trying to set up internet connection with a Huawei E156G modem. I tried to find some information but it’s all too difficult to understand, I only got so far as to find the locations of some files they suggest should be changed. . The manual that comes with the modem says Huawei T156G works with Linux (I have an OpenSUSE 11.1, KDE) but mine doesn’t… I had to switch back to Windows to use internet :’( Viruses are attacking my computer again :’(
Could anybody please explain how to set up a connection in extreme detail?

This post was originally posted in the wrong area of our forum. I moved here to hopefully a better sub-area of the forum.

Hi Liolia;

if I can make some suggestions?

my advice is for gnome but kde should be very much the same;

plug the usb modem into a USB port with Suse running;

look at the bottom right for the two computer screens: network manager;

RIGHT-CLICK;

select mobile broadband; select ADD: click on your country; your network;

if none of those appear; (some versions of Suse do not offer prompts …)

tell us your country and provider and we research the correct settings for you …

having set up the connection;

one LEFT-CLICKS on network manager and if the mobile is set up fine, you get a line to click on to connect

for your complain , may be you could visit 3g modem to download the pdf user guide about huawei e156g

Unfortunately you did not post if you are using KDE3 or 4 and if 4 which version.

I am using 11.1 with KDE3.5 together with the HUAWEI-E620 PCMCIA modem.

Although it was possible at the end to use the modem with the KDE network manager, I would spare you a lot of trouble (never works well) and would recommend to use the UMTSMON application instead. I am writing you this using UMTSMON Ver.0.9.51. The program is easy to setup and efficient because it allows you to force 3G use instead of GPRS if two nets are available and 3G is lower in signal. The app should be in the regular repositories. If not, you find it in “software search”](http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=openSUSE%3A11.1&p=1&q=umtsmon).

Note that it might be indicated to use also the usb_modeswitch package](http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=openSUSE%3A11.1&p=1&q=usb_modeswitch) because if your modem has also a mass-storage part then it might be recognized as usb-key. Therefore the usb_modeswitch package should solve the issue (controls the sometimes so called “flip-flop” of the device).

Generally speaking the support of 3g modems in 11.1 is suboptimal compared to 11.0. With the procedure described you may solve your problem, if you do please report here.

If you are using VPN you will encounter the very same problem as me, it connects with kvpnc and openvpn but does not tunnel the whole traffic through it. There should be work around, so far I am still searching.
Good luck.

You can download the full huawei e156g modem manual here,E156G PDF manual
HUAWEI E156g,3g USB MODEM:850/900/1800/1900MHz, 3.6 Mbps HSDPA

Thank you all for your replies :slight_smile:
But the modem just won’t work. I tried reading the full manual for HUAWEI E156G, like huaai and gmodemcomhk suggested and there was nothing but specifications useful for someone who knows what they mean (that’s not me)… so the manual was useless.

UMTSMON application sounds like it could solve the problem if I knew how to use or install it as I can only go online using a windows xp.

I tried following the instructions of pdc_2 (they were just what a newbie like me needs), but there is no icon for network manager in the tray. A search in the start menu only showed some KNetworkManager/KDE3 (a green globe icon). It did turn on, a grey globe appeared in the right corner of the screen. I right- and left-clicked it like a hundred times but all it showed me was one menu. The first line said that the Network Manager is NOT RUNNING, then there was a menu for configuring sounds and alerts (nothing about connections, broadbands or anything like that) and the most promising menu called “edit connections”.

Unfortunately the latter was only an empty list of connections with tree buttons on the right (create, edit and delete). “Create a connection” showed me a strange menu, apparently for configuring wi-fi, half of the options were grey and unaccessible. I tried everything there was but didn’t find a thing that reminded me of usb-modem, mobile broadband or anything like that.
I also tried to look for mobile broadband in the “personal settings”/Networks menu, without any results. Searching for mobile broadband in the Help menus didn’t give any results either. :frowning:

At least I found out that my system is:

System:openSUSE 11.1 (i586)
KDE:4.1.3 (KDE 4.1.3) “release 4.9”

USB modem: E156G
Provider: Velcom
There is no username but only a PIN code of 4 digits.

The saddest thing is that this USB thingie is the only way for me to access internet and it seems that I’m the only person in the world who can’t set it up on Linux.

try sakis 3G;

Sakis3G installation - Sakis3G wiki

has worked well for me

follow opensuse instructions

in this post

[SOLVED] well done; and feedback on a first time use: still needing help](http://forum.sakis3g.org/smf/index.php?topic=29.0)

sakis guided me how to create an icon to assist the activate

The easiest thing is to do a network connect with ethernet, install the UMTSMON from software search (I gave you the link) and then try with wireless. No ethernet connect available? You may also download the rpm on a usb stick from software search and install it with yast once switched to Linux again.

It works! :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your advice, good that some people are always ready to help! :smiley:

if you are still out there liolia, tell us what you did that made it work for you …

if you have huawei modem trouble next time!just call E-lins.