Printer Samsung CLP-310

Hello Experts,
does anyone of you know how to get the above mentioned printer running under opensuse 11.2 ? It looks like that there is no driver available. With the previous version all worked fine.
Suggestions are appreciated!

Did you have a look here?
Printer: Samsung CLP-310 | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation

Thanks for the link but the ‘make’ give me an error:

In file included from src/compress.cpp:33:
include/algo0x13.h:28:21: error: jbig.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
In file included from src/compress.cpp:33:
include/algo0x13.h:52: error: ‘jbg_enc_state’ does not name a type
make: *** [optimized/src/compress.o] Fehler 1

It look like something is missing!
Any idea?

Not familiar with Samsung printers, but is there no similar driver you can try via CUPS? (For example CLP-315).

I would have thought that the foo2qpdl driver would already be available from the installed CUPS database without having to try and install externally.

This might also be worth a try

Samsung Printers

Usually there are readme instructions with these packages to help you install them correctly.

This Ubuntu-based HOW TO may offer useful info too.

Thanks for your reply.
I was looking around and found a Unified Linux Driver.
The printer is working but the quality is not quite good.
The download of foo2qpdl was quite slow and stopped at 17%.
The splix driver prints an error msg like this:

SPL-C ERROR - Please use the proper driver
POSITION: 0x0 (0)
SYSTEM: src/xl_image
LINE: 606
VERSION: SPL-C 5.35 11-20-2007

Does anyone has a workaround and have experience with the splix?

If you want to use the splix driver, you’re probably bettter off getting support from the developers at

SPL driver for UNIX

I don’t know which version of the driver you’re using, but you should be aware of this issue

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=375258

OpenSUSE do not appear to use a recent version of the splix driver because of possible patent issues within the code.

I did a quick search for a splix RPM via Webpin, and found this

splix driver package

BTW, is the error you get happening while attempting to install the driver, or while configuring, or using it?

I get the error printed on the test page.

I get the same error message when attempting to do a test print using openprinting. I am using opensuse 11.2. Any suggestions?

I can only suggest reviewing all links to other sites I provided previously. In particular did you try downloading the driver avaialble from

Samsung Printers

The CLP-300 driver tarball might be ok.

I did ow that machine. With the unified drivers of Samsung it works, but it installs you a noteworthy amount of dysfunctional software (any other expression here would be censored) and also it creates you a security risk on the machine because it sets wrong permissions. This suboptimal windoze like programmed “help program” interferes also with the printing routing of the pdf readers. In synthesis, I had to first go through an useless and unwanted and not deactivatable dialog of Samsung. Then I had to print but sometimes it was even tedious because the settings of this stupid “Samsung Control Center” with the kind software to make me buy new toner (wow) did conflict with the settings of the OS.
I eventually solved my problems: I gave the printer to a friend using windows. Next printer will be HP.

I eventually solved my problems: I gave the printer to a friend using windows. Next printer will be HP.

Good strategy! Thanks for sharing your expeience stakanov. I hope others read it, before considering buying a printer from a manufacturer who doesn’t support Linux users well.

If our OP has already bought the machine, there have been some distributions that “extracted” the driver in order to make it work without the “Unified Control C…”. I know for sure that some Samsung drivers with that problematic were extracted for Ubuntu, but I do not know whether it would be possible to use them in OpenSUSE and with what kind of modifications. In general, as soon as the Samsung printer models get “older”, often they appear integrated into the foomatic OSS driver. Then they work flawlessly. There should be a listing in Yast that shows the supported printers. Yet it is really irritating that they did choose such an invasive software to be bundled obligatorily with the driver and that the latter causes even security concerns, leave aside that it does not work well. Would like to know what “manager” of the marketing and sales department had the brilliant idea.

I would say that if the reason you bought the printer was that the packaging claimed support for linux (like I did with my scx-4200), demand a refund and tell them you are reporting them for false advertising.
Only then will manufacturers like Samsung seriouslystart supporting linux.
My scx-4200 had similar problems, but 2 years later works without Samsung drivers.
Like all cheap printers, the cost price is low but the running costs are high compared to some of the more expensive brands. Over the lifetime of the printer this makes a difference!
(I still run my old hp 4L which I bought new nearly 20 years ago!)

I already did with Windows Vista, tried to get a refund (Vista gave only bluescreens and general protection faults at the time) on my Q35pro but the management told me that “this was not possible”. One should be millionaire and just take them to court. Here in Europe they do not take it so seriously about false advertising. The still to often rely…guess what…that “self control of the industry” rotfl!

And yes, perfectly pertinent, the claimed compatibility was the reason for which I bought it, and the experience is the reason for which I write of it here :wink:
Well seen.

Either return the printer or take them on in a small claim court. (Claim damages for cost of printer and time spent troubleshooting the problem - as long as it’s not too large, the small claim court fee isn’t too big. It will cost them more to defend the claim.)
Also report them to the advertising standards of the country.
EU law says it has to be fit for purpose, so if it’s crashing, it can’t be fit for purpose!

Well for the laptop that is now comming years too late. It was Vista and it was before MS authorized the downgrade to XP. The printer itself…I could have done it /still do it. But the machine is now down in Spain and I am now in the North of the EU. So I promise you something: whenever it happens again to me I will do so, just for the sake of principle. Although I will also try to avoid from the very beginning to fall into the trap, inform myself sorrowly and buy something proven compatible. Thanks for giving me that hint, actually EU regulations and laws are an avalanche and one strugles not to lose the overall picture on one’s rights.

I sometimes find it interesting to read the original thread of a post.

I notice that the original statement was

Printer Samsung CLP-310
Hello Experts,
does anyone of you know how to get the above mentioned printer running under opensuse 11.2 ? It looks like that there is no driver available. With the previous version all worked fine.
Suggestions are appreciated!

that seems to me to suggest something changed between opensuse 11.1 and 11.2 and the printer now no longer worked; whereas it worked fine under linux before

OpenPrinting is an excellent source of information on printing

about the CPL-310 it says:

Printer: Samsung CLP-310 | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation

says

The Samsung CLP-310 (USB) is a cheap color laser printer.

This printer is compatible with the CLP-300 and is supported by the SpliX and foo2qpdl open software printer drivers. SpliX gives a better color output.

a recent post in this OpenPrinting file (4 months ago) noted

Splix is not working at all with this printer. you need a recent foo2qpdl

and in response a more recent post (2 months ago) in this same OpenPrinting file said

I’ve installed the current foo2qpdl which is included in the foo2zjs source package and the printer runs fine.

Hi
I have the same printer. It works perfectly…with …come to that later
Download the Linux driver from Samsung
personal colour laser printing - CLP-315 - Colour Laser Printer - Print, Multifunctions & Copiers | SAMSUNG
follow the instructions…should work. Works on my Desktop and Laptop and integrates into the menu.

However !!! the Samsung deamon is constantly checking the printer !!! Takes 5-8% of CPU. Must be badly written.
What I did with the help of this forum, I wrote a cron script to check the printer every hour.
Here is the thread:
How could I configure a process so it does not run continouesly

Cheers Otto

Regarding the PDF printing interference by the Unified Driver: this seems to be caused by Samsung’s symlinking the lpr command to some (expletive) of its own - restoring /usr/bin/lpr.orig helped in my case.
The Splix drivers worked well on Kubuntu with my scx4200 where the Unified Driver completely refused to work - it might be worth it trying them on SuSE too.

I have a samsung ml-1740. It’s worked out of the box in every linux distro I’ve ever tried.