Can't update? Updater hangs

Hi all,

I’ve installed Opensuse 11.2 today, but whenever I want to run the updater from Yast the updater hangs. I can’t abort it and it doesn’t do anything anymore.

I’ve tried reinstalling the system (5 times by now), no difference. Doesn’t matter if I use wireless or wired connection, either.

I’m using Gnome, if that makes any difference, default installation (so I didn’t alter any packages)

Are there any error messages?
Have you checked the md5sun on the download of the install, and the media you burnt to?

And welcome to openSUSE forums!

No error messages, it just hangs like that. Usually when downloading a package, the progress bar stops just doesn’t continue anymore. Aborting doesn’t work, although the abort button seems to respond (sometimes it comes with the question whether to abort or not, but regardless of the answer the update screen stays stuck in its current situation)

Can you put the disk you used to install openSUSE in your CD/DVD drive

reboot and run the option to check the disk from there? the option will be on the first screen you see.

“Checksum is wrong, CD-rom is broken”.

I would never have guessed this an option since the installation itself worked fine. I’ll try burning it again and see if it works better after that. Thanks :slight_smile:

Also check the download, Did you download from hereSoftware.openSUSE.org

There is an md5sum for your download that needs to be checked before trying another burn

Hello Neko_Koneko,

That’s true and if burning fails a second time try burning it at the lowest possible speed.

Good luck!:wink:

I’ve redownloaded the ISO (32-bit this time instead of 64-bit). Checked it, checksum was okay. Burnt it with verification, no problem. Disc still said it was broken though >:( I installed it though, just to see if maybe it’d work anyway. Right now it’s updating (everything else is working fine, I’m using the computer I just installed Suse onto right now) but it seems to be hanging again :frowning:

I really don’t get it. This time I used a different ISO, and I burnt it on another computer. Checksum was okay and data was verified, yet it doesn’t work - again. My initial enthousiasm is starting to die down a bit… :frowning:

Well, I just gave up on the whole thing and went to watch some telly… and when I came back it had finished installing almost all the updates. Maybe I’m impatient? Lol. The updater is slow but at least it seems to work :slight_smile: That’s good. Thanks everyone for your help and advise. Hope I’ll be able to stick with Linux for a bit longer this time instead of going back to Windows after a few days :shame:

I’ve redownloaded the ISO (32-bit this time instead of 64-bit). Checked it, checksum was okay. Burnt it with verification, no problem. Disc still said it was broken though

I would not have installed from a disk that showed any errors.

If your download is from a reliable source and it checks out OK, and you have burnt to a media that you know to be reliable with your burner, and at the slowest speed available, then it is time to try a burn from different burning software.

This would not be the first time I have seen a windows CD burning program fail on a burn that needs to be as accurate as an OS does, even if it seems fine for every thing else.