Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new partition on external drive - permissions: root drwxr-xr-x

Sulzbach (Taunus), Hessen [Hesse], Deutschland [Germany]

Default new partition on external drive - permissions: root drwxr-xr-x

Hi

I tried two times to make an new partition (after the FAT partition on it) on my external hard drive with YaST>Partitioner.

Fist I had tried ext3 now I have ext2 on it.
    Both times the partition (or the corresponding folder in /media) was only writeable to the superuser/root but not to a normal user (readable to the normal user). Root is the owner.

The FAT-Partition on the same external drive is owned by the normal user who was logged in as I plugged the USB-cable in.

I can unmount both partitions als normal user in natilus.

1. Can I start nautilus as root to change the permissions?
    2. What have I done wrong? Should I use an SuSE Live-CD or an CD with an special partitioning-program instead?

Greetings
    pistazienfresser

----

Now I am using (on my Samsung X20) openSuse 11.1 and Gnome 2.24.1 (mostly, 1 account is using KDE) and Kernel Linux 2.6.27.45-01.1-pae. "/home" is on an separated partition (as part of an extended partition). I have also 2 NTFS partitions for Windows XP (System and Data), and a FAT, a root (/) and a swarp partition.

I have an other laptop on that I have installed 11.2 a few days ago.

Blog Entries

Default Re: new partition on external drive - permissions: root drwxr-xr-x

Linux filesystems have real ownership info as compared to FAT filesystems where the ownership info is faked up from the mount option. Therefore if you want the partition to be writable to users, the top directory and the mountpoint must be owned by the user or writable to the user.

If you just want a user to be able to put files in a directory in the partition, simplest way is to mkdir a subdirectory, then chown it to the user. Thereafter, the user can do what they like underneath that subdirectory.

Thanks ken_yap!

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    Linux filesystems have real ownership info as compared to FAT filesystems where the ownership info is faked up from the mount option.
    Is the owner of this ext2 file system every root/superuser of the linux I have plugged the external drive in? Or is it only the root of the linux I have made this partition with?

That root is the owner of an new file system may be so. But why can I only make an new file system also only "writable only by the owner" by default. Is this necessary, too?

Therefore if you want the partition to be writable to users, the top directory and the mountpoint must be owned by the user or writable to the user.
    Is there an easy way to do this? Is /media/disk-40 the top directory or the moutpoint?

If you just want a user to be able to put files in a directory in the partition, simplest way is to mkdir a subdirectory,
    Can I also run a graphical program as su to do this?

then chown it to the user. Thereafter, the user can do what they like underneath that subdirectory.
    If I want more users/more users on more systems to be able to write: should I leave the ownership to root but chmod/change the writing ability to the user-group?

Can/Should I make me an user with sudo-abilities to do things like that in an graphic way? Or would the sodoer not be able to do (some) things like that?

Greetings pistazienfresser

P. S.:

SDB:Basics of partitions, filesystems, mount points - openSUSE

When a the partition to be mounted has a label (e.g. Backup), it will use that label and will mount at /media/Backup/. When there is no label it will mount using the device type as a name and thus mount at /media/cdrom/ or /media/disk/. It will add numbers to avoid double names (/media/disk-1).
    How to I add a label to my partition? "disk-1" - "disk-40" seems not perfect to me ;-)

Greetings
    pistazienfresser

Read

Code:
    man tune2fs
    for ext2/3

or

Code:
    man reiserfstune
    for reiserfs (suprise, surprise).
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (R.J. Hanlon)

Quote Originally Posted by pistazienfresser View Post
    P. S.:
    How to I add a label to my partition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Akoellh View Post
    Read

Code:
    man tune2fs
    for ext2/3 [...]
    Thanks.
    Do you mean this?:

Code:
    NAME
           tune2fs - adjust tunable filesystem parameters on ext2/ext3 filesystems

SYNOPSIS
           tune2fs [ -l ] [ -c max-mount-counts ] [ -e errors-behavior ] [ -f ]  [
           -i  interval-between-checks  ]  [  -j  ]  [  -J  journal-options ] [ -m
           reserved-blocks-percentage  ]  [  -o  [^]mount-options[,...]   ]  [  -r
           reserved-blocks-count ] [ -s sparse-super-flag ] [ -u user ] [ -g group
           ] [ -C mount-count ] [ -E extended-options ] [ -L volume-name  ]  [  -M
           last-mounted-directory  ]  [  -O  [^]feature[,...]   ]  [ -T time-last-
           checked ] [ -U UUID ] device

DESCRIPTION
           tune2fs allows the  system  administrator  to  adjust  various  tunable
           filesystem parameters on Linux ext2/ext3 filesystems.

OPTIONS
    [...]
    Code:
     -L volume-label
                  Set  the volume label of the filesystem.  Ext2 filesystem labels
                  can be at most 16 characters long;  if  volume-label  is  longer
                  than  16  characters, tune2fs will truncate it and print a warn-
                  ing.  The volume label can be used  by  mount(8),  fsck(8),  and
                  /etc/fstab(5)  (and  possibly  others)  by specifying LABEL=vol-
                  ume_label instead of a block special device name like /dev/hda5.
    so?:
    1.a9 log in with F2+Control+UP as "root"
    OR b) UserNomal>Gnome>GnomeTerminal>su+passwordSU
    Code:
    cd /media/disk-40
    Code:
    tune2fs -L external_ext2
    a) F7+Control+UP OR b) [exit AND exit]

Is there also something for setting the partition as writeable for all users by default?

Greetings
    pistazienfresser

Is there also something for setting the partition as writeable for all users by default?
    Permissions are given when you mount it.

See mount command

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Permissions are given when you mount it.

See mount command
    The volume is mounted by default when I plug it in the USB. That's fine.

In the man mount pages I found only:
    Code:
    -w     Mount the file system read/write. This is the default. A synonym
                  is -o rw.

[...]
    users
        Allow every user to mount and unmount the file system. This option implies the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev (unless overridden by subsequent options, as in the option line users,exec,dev,suid).
    Same under: mount - Linux Command - Unix Command and mount(8): mount file system - Linux man page

I think -w is only about writing for the owner (root) not for every user.

So I do not know what I should write in fstab.
    I do not want to change any permissions in the folders on this partition.

If there is no other pragmatical way I will do so:
    new partition on external drive - permissions: root drwxr-xr-x - openSUSE Forums
    Linux filesystems have real ownership info as compared to FAT filesystems where the ownership info is faked up from the mount option. Therefore if you want the partition to be writable to users, the top directory and the mountpoint must be owned by the user or writable to the user.

If you just want a user to be able to put files in a directory in the partition, simplest way is to mkdir a subdirectory, then chown it to the user. Thereafter, the user can do what they like underneath that subdirectory.
    But will this work still if I plug the external drive in an other Computer or simply make an new installation of my operating system on the same Computer?

pistazienfresser

Blog Entries

The account UIDs of the owners of the files would have to stay unchanged for this to work.

The account UIDs of the owners of the files would have to stay unchanged for this to work.
    Thanks.

User identifier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So only "1000"-"1003" or also the Login and the Name as shown under GNOME>YaST>User and Group Administration (I made a screen shot)? Have the passwords also to be the same?

Greetings pistazienfresser

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast