Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you NOT like about openSUSE?

Default What do you NOT like about openSUSE?

I don't mean this to be a flamebait post, I just wondered what the actual end users of openSUSE think could be improved.
    HP dv6645, Nvidia 8400m-gs, KDE 4.

Default Re: What do you NOT like about openSUSE?

The golden cage and too many dependencies, take compiz try running compiz as your wm.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Too much repositories. I mean we have by default main oss and update. They can be unified. Even non-oss could be included. KDE Base and Community also could be unified. I'm sure there are more examples but you get the idea.
    FeatherMonkey i'm running compiz as my window manager on Gnome and i have no dependecy problems.
    openSUSE 11.4 | KDE 4.6
    AMD Athlon64 X2 5000+ | 2GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD 3450 | Gigabyte M68SM-S2L | 320 GB HDD

Blog Entries

The default repos are: oss, non-oss, update. Just 3. What you add is a matter of choice/needs.
    I'd say there are too many choices in the list offered in Yast Repositories.

But I've been testing this week: Fedora, Mepis, Mint, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, openSUSE.
    I'd been testing openSUSE-Gnome (I'm a KDE user by default) - hen I gave these others a run.
    I'm back in openSUSE-Gnome again. Honestly, it so darn good! It's wanting for nothing. Brilliant!

Tell you what too, Mepis 8 used kde3.5.10
    It was a sweet reminder of how flippin quick and responsive it is.
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

@Siminin run it with no gnome or kde I want a WM not a DE

It's the golden cage if you want it as provided Suse works well but the minute you go outside the box things get messy. Take my example I want just a WM not a DE. The best would be LXDE then I suspect it would drag in Openbox but I want LXDE with compiz, LXDE doesn't depend on openbox.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

I don't like that:
    1. encryption choice
    2. wallet integration
    3. tendency to clutter with different repositories
    4. that OpenOffice in the OpenSuse version is incompatible with quite a number of add-ons.

I do not like that I have to use an LVM to encrypt root/swap/home. The encryption as of encryption howto should be eased by scripts and should not be rocket science. Or a very good documentation should be available in order to facilitate to learn enough about boot scripts to get it fixed.

The wallet integration is not working (at least in 11.1) for the Firefox Password and for other programs (like Opera or Chromium). It should work.

Openoffice has a compatibility problem with quite some add ons and supplemental programs (like Duden vocabulary of German language or some extension available for free that would be useful but do not compile in the Openssuse version of Openoffice.

Ah, I forgot: i do not like the default setting that supplemental users can view the content of the other home directories. Don't see the reason for this.

There are other things like that VPN does not work well or that Networkmanager in KDE is a pain....but this is not OpenSuse responsibility IMHO.
    Just "clicking away" security warnings about a change in repo signature ? Not able to control?
    Then please vote for
    https://features.opensuse.org/312047
    openSUSE should have an efficient web of trust.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by growbag View Post
    I don't mean this to be a flamebait post, I just wondered what the actual end users of openSUSE think could be improved.
    Many of the things that could be improved with openSUSE also apply to other distributions.

In general, compared to other non-Linux operating systems (MS-Windows OS and various MacIntosh comes to mind), the manufacturer driver and custom application support is bad. That can be improved for openSUSE.

The is especially true in hardware that tends to be more exotic.

We see this in the situation with printers, with wireless, with sound devices, with graphic cards, with webcams, and even with selected USB hard drives.

I see many areas where openSUSE has done well, but there is still tremendous room in my view for improvement in these very same areas. But I don't want to get into that subject, because it is too open for misinterpretation and flame wars. We have too many skirmishes going on now on our forum as it is.

Blog Entries

That the installation is too fragile w.r.t. changes in hardware and booting configuration. The repair option needs to be improved to make it almost omniscient and be able to fix up moves onto a new machine or a mistake in editing the GRUB menu that less skilled users cannot fix on their own. Even better if a repair tool could be installed as a "recovery" partition.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    That the installation is too fragile w.r.t. changes in hardware and booting configuration. The repair option needs to be improved to make it almost omniscient and be able to fix up moves onto a new machine or a mistake in editing the GRUB menu that less skilled users cannot fix on their own. Even better if a repair tool could be installed as a "recovery" partition.
    This ties in with one of my few gripes. I use an external Seagate USB drive to make a portable Linux OS. I actually use my desktop PC and a live CD, and then install to the USB drive as a regular hard drive. I use Kubuntu on it because it seems to boot on any machine I try it on. I started with Opensuse, but it would often choke because it didn't recognize most of the hardware it was booting on after configuring it's self for my desktop PC. Opensuse doesn't do as well with booting after hardware changes.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Blog Entries

Smile Re: What do you NOT like about openSUSE?

I would say I have two basic problems, but both point back to the software repository system. First, I wish we could offer a new user the option to add and be updated from Packman, kind of like other propitiatory media is done. Then, users could get going with multimedia right away. I know why it is has not been done so far, but this one problem really puts some folks off.

Second, the repository system can mess up your whole computer if you do not know what you are doing. There must be a better way to get the latest version of Firefox for instance. We all know the risks of too many repository entries and the problems of dealing with application conflict problems. Anyone that does not understand the system, may give up Linux after blowing up their installation of openSUSE the very first time. Some people may not find it fun try to diagnose some very odd problems one can create as well.

I use openSUSE because I love the way it works and I do not mind doing some setup work if needed. These are just my thoughts on the subject.

Thank You,
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast