Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USB 3.0 & openSUSE 11.2 (Kernel Version 2.6.31) Does it Work?

Blog Entries

Question USB 3.0 & openSUSE 11.2 (Kernel Version 2.6.31) Does it Work?

It is my understanding that the Linux kernel version 2.6.31 and higher supports USB version 3.0 and I saw other references to the NEC USB 3.0 adapter chip-set. I wonder if anyone here has gotten or tried to use a USB 3.0 device under openSUSE 11.2?

I recently purchased an external hard drive enclosure that supports USB 3.0. Should I purchase a USB 3.0 adapter and give it a try under openSUSE 11.2?

All comments are welcome.

Thank You,
    Last edited by jdmcdaniel3; 05-Apr-2010 at 18:53. Reason: Title Was Wrong
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Blog Entries

Smile Re: USB 3.0 & openSUSE 11.2 (Kernel Version 2.6.31) It Works!

Well, it would seem I did not get an answer to my question about using USB 3.0 devices with openSUSE 11.2, so I decided to find out for my self.

I am happy to report that indeed YOU CAN GET USB 3.0 to work with openSUSE 11.2 !

Now, I like to boot openSUSE from a external USB hard drive and this is only possible if the motherboard BIOS can work with the USB 3.0 ports directly, but alas, my motherboard does not work. Support for USB 3.0 devices, when the motherboard did not come with native USB 3.0 support, only comes about after the Operating System is loaded. I am able to use a USB 3.0 hard drive both in openSUSE 11.2 (without loading any new driver) and with Windows 7 (after loading a new driver).

Here is what I used for my USB 3.0 testing:

1. BUFFALO USB 3.0 PCI Express card model IFC-PCI1E2U3 (Cost $45US from Amazon.com)
    2. VANTEC NexStar3 External USB 3.0 Drive Enclosure model NST-380S3-BK (Cost $50US from Fry's )
    3. Segate Barracuda 3.5" Sata Hard Drive model ST315005N4A1AS-RK (Cost $90US from Fry's)

I do not think the hard drive type matters except it must be SATA to match the external hard drive enclosure.

Now you know, USB 3.0 Native Support in openSUSE 11.2 exists today and is ready for you to use!

Thank You,

Default Re: USB 3.0 & openSUSE 11.2 (Kernel Version 2.6.31) Does it Work?

I would assume the the USB 3.0 Standard is backward compatible, so the question would be are you getting USB 3.0 speed (as I understand it about time 10), or is it just working....?

Blog Entries

Smile Re: USB 3.0 & openSUSE 11.2 (Kernel Version 2.6.31) It Works!

Yes, I am getting USB 3.0 speeds. Now by that I mean it is faster than USB 2.0 on my computer. I think the maximum speed is 5 Gb/s, but as best as I can tell, the actual speed I got must be around 102 Mb/s (0.1 Gb/s). This compares to 34 Mb/s from my USB 2.0 hard drive. Loading files is about three times faster when compared to USB 2.0, but no where near the alleged maximum. None the less, it is cheap fix to get a 3x external hard drive speed-up. As they say, your mileage may vary and my test does not consider computer or actual hard driver performance. I copied 17.5 GB's of files to/from the same drive and measured the time to determine my speed.

The only problem is without native USB 3.0 support in your motherboard BIOS, you are not going to boot any OS from an external USB 3.0 hard drive. I have been looking at motherboards and both ASUS and Gigabyte offer USB 3.0 support built into their motherboards. The only thing I do not know if it still works like an add-in card or can it support external booting with a USB 3.0 drive? I plan on picking a new motherboard to try, but once again I need a new CPU and memory as well to make it work. That is kind of out of my budget for the moment.

Thank You,

Blog Entries

I need to update one line about my speed test, but the new forum setup does not seem to allow an edit so here is the corrected info:

"the actual speed I got must be around 102 MB/s (0.8 Gb/s). This compares to 34 MB/s"

Sorry for the error...

Thank You,

Blog Entries

I stumbled across this thread a few minutes ago, as I am contemplating purchasing a new external hard drive to get even more offline storage.

I noted some of the external hard drives in our local PC shop support USB-3.0, so naturally, I was curious about USB-3.0 and linux.

Hard drive I'm considering (I already own an external USB-2.0 drive from Fantec): FANTEC GmbH - 1.5 TB USB-3.0 external drive

... but I can see I need to also find a USB-3.0 pci-e card.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    ... but I can see I need to also find a USB-3.0 pci-e card.
    Turns out our local store only has this PCI-e USB-3.0 card: LogiLink | PCI Express Interface Card USB 3.0 2x LogiLink | 25.06.2010 ... I need to research it a bit

Blog Entries

The FANTEC GmbH - 1.5 TB USB-3.0 external drive drive I am considering notes they are "linux" compatible. But since I see no entry on the LogiLink | PCI Express Interface Card USB 3.0 2x LogiLink I decided to send LogiLink an email, and see what they say about Linux compatibility with a 2.6.31 or newer kernel. I don't really expect an answer, but sometimes one is pleasantly surprised.

Blog Entries

I took a look at the openSUSE HCL, but I could not find any mention of USB-3.0 external drives, nor of PCI-e cards supporting USB-3.0. Clearly some are supported, but as is typical the HCL lags.

Blog Entries

Smile Re: USB 3.0 & openSUSE 11.2 (Kernel Version 2.6.31) Does it Work?

Well oldcpu, I have tested exactly one external USB3 drive enclosure and one pcie USB3 card. Both work just fine with openSUSE 11.2. The only odd thing I ran into was that ever so often, the drive would not mount. So, oddly, as if it might really make any difference, I placed the mount command last in my fstab file. It seems to make it mount every-time. Is it possible the fstab mount order makes any difference? Well it did for me.

Of course, the real thing is the speed, It seems three time faster than my USB2 drive, but no where near as fast as the specification. I can not boot from the USB3 drive because my computer BIOS does not understand how to use it. USB3 only starts working after openSUSE or Windows is loaded, this is important to understand. None the less, such a speed up is worth consideration, even if you can't load openSUSE on it.

Now one final note, don't forget about eSATA. eSATA is just an externally mounted internal SATA drive. You need an eSATA drive enclosure, an eSATA cable and a PCI card slot eSATA adapter plate. I found one of these quick hard drive test rigs with eSATA made by Thermatake for $55 at Best Buy. I had a cable and adpter from one of the many motherboards I have purchased.

The thing about eSATA is that it is as fast as an internal SATA drive, but the eSATA cable can only be ran a short distance, like 18" or so from your case. I did setup one and loaded openSUSE on it which works like a champ. The drives sits right on top of the PC as that is as far as I can get with the cable.

Thank You,

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast