Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: HP Probook 4510s high fan speed

  1. #1

    Unhappy HP Probook 4510s high fan speed

    My new HP Probook 4510s with openSuse 11.2 or 11.3 Milestone 4 always ends running the fan at high speed. There must be a change in the BIOS because in others HP laptops (nx6125, nx7300) it didn't occur. This annoying problem keeps me away from using it with Linux. If any developer gets involved in solving this problem will much appreciated.

  2. #2
    palladium NNTP User

    Default Re: HP Probook 4510s high fan speed

    angelpena wrote:
    > My new HP Probook 4510s with openSuse 11.2 or 11.3 Milestone 4 always
    > ends running the fan at high speed. There must be a change in the BIOS
    > because in others HP laptops (nx6125, nx7300) it didn't occur. This
    > annoying problem keeps me away from using it with Linux. If any
    > developer gets involved in solving this problem will much appreciated.


    i guess it came with a Redmond sticker on it..

    the best way to make sure your hardware runs linux well is to buy a
    machine with linux installed...HP, DELL, IBM, Lenovo, Asus and several
    others sell such machines..

    and, i don't think the makers guarantee if you buy a machine with
    Linux on it that Redmond, Apple, Wii, Playstation, Atari, SUN and etc
    products will run well on it...

    --
    palladium

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City Area, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    7,381

    Default Re: HP Probook 4510s high fan speed

    On 03/31/2010 11:11 AM, palladium wrote:
    > angelpena wrote:
    >> My new HP Probook 4510s with openSuse 11.2 or 11.3 Milestone 4 always
    >> ends running the fan at high speed. There must be a change in the BIOS
    >> because in others HP laptops (nx6125, nx7300) it didn't occur. This
    >> annoying problem keeps me away from using it with Linux. If any
    >> developer gets involved in solving this problem will much appreciated.

    >
    > i guess it came with a Redmond sticker on it..


    As you say, this situation is likely caused by an error in the BIOS
    coding. Complaining here about how annoying it is will not help fix it.
    You need to be more proactive and post this difficulty on the mailing
    list at linux-acpi@vger.kernel.org. You will need to be very specific
    about what kernel version you are running, etc.

  4. #4

    Default Re: HP Probook 4510s high fan speed

    Thank you very much. This is the information I was looking for.

    In Spain until now is not possible to buy a HP laptop with linux.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    804

    Default Re: HP Probook 4510s high fan speed

    Quote Originally Posted by angelpena View Post
    Thank you very much. This is the information I was looking for.

    In Spain until now is not possible to buy a HP laptop with linux.
    Have you tried downloading the updated BIOS from HP? I just bought that same computer and it seems to be running very well (but I'm using 11.1 because I couldn't get 11.2 to install).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •