Linux is safe .....again

Groklaw - Digging for Truth and
NOVELL: Novell News » Blog Archive » Decision in the SCO Group vs. Novell Jury trial

<:) <:)

Its great news.

I note there is a bit of a thread going here, but thats in the tech news section, and I think this chit-chat is a better forum area: Jury Says Novell Owns Unix Copyrights - openSUSE Forums

… I was sleeping on the switch, and wish I had purchased some Red Hat shares, as I think that stock was UP on the news. By the time the idea occurred to me, the markets had been closed for 10 minutes.

I’m a bit amazed that SCO still are contemplating pursuing their law suit vs IBM !

From Salt Lake Tribune:

But Cahn said SCO intends to continue its lawsuit against IBM, in which the computer giant is accused of using Unix code to make the Linux operating system a viable competitor, causing a decline in SCO’s revenues.
I can’t wrap my head around that. … If Novell owns the Unix copyright, how can SCO get money from IBM for code whose copyright they SCO don’t own. … Guess I could never make a lawyer! :X

I’m a bit amazed that SCO still are contemplating pursuing their law suit vs IBM !

Yes, it makes no sense at all.

Reading this FSF statement they explain

SCO’s confusing use of names makes the basis of its claims unclear: has SCO alleged that trade secrets of Unix’s originator, AT&T—of which SCO is by intermediate transactions the successor in interest—have been incorporated by IBM in the kernel, Linux, or in parts of GNU? If the former, there is no justification for the broad statements urging the Fortune 1500 to be cautious about using free software, or GNU programs generally.

Not only this, but SCO has also as part of its business, distributed copies of the kernel and GNU/Linux software…yet allegedly containing their ‘trade secrets’. Have they violated the GPL as well?

I suspect the conspiracy theorists would have a field day here, … especially if they go back 6 or more years, to where SCO got some of its initial funding and encouragement to adopt its legal course of action the past 1/2 decade. … For example, there is this “conspiracy” allegation, that some how Microsoft was involved, by introducing investment firm BayStar Capital to SCO and also by purportedly (but likely a without merit allegation) “guaranteeing” the BayStar Capital investment in SCO: Investment firm confirms Microsoft link to SCO - Business - News and BayStar Confirms Microsoft Connection to SCO Investment

… anyway, I hope this is all over now. It causes uncertainty, and uncertainty in an operating system use is typically never good for both users and packagers of an open source operating system.

Sounds as though everyone is confused, ignorant, or just don’t want to take the time to figure out the pathway to resolve this matter.

SCO is screwing up, regardless, and aren’t even coherent enough to catch the slightest glimpse of it. This type of argument would probably work with any company slightly involved with UNIX and UNIX like code with one exception that being Novell.

SCO engaging Novell in the suit reduced the company’s credibility and platform to a level of trifling that a court of business law can not entertain.

SCO beat themselves before they even picked up the phone.