Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jury Says Novell Owns Unix Copyrights

Default Jury Says Novell Owns Unix Copyrights

Jury says Novell owns Unix copyrights - Salt Lake Tribune

A federal jury Tuesday found that Novell Inc., and not The SCO Group, owns the copyrights to the Unix computer operating systems used by many businesses.
    The decision ends a long-running legal battle between the two companies and between Lindon-based SCO and IBM. It also likely means the end of SCO, which already is teetering in bankruptcy court

After a three-week trial and closing arguments from each side before presiding Judge Ted Stewart, the jury filed out of the courtroom to begin deliberations Friday. The jury went home 4 hours later and reconvened this morning.

Default Re: Jury Says Novell Owns Unix Copyrights

NOVELL: Novell News Blog Archive Decision in the SCO Group vs. Novell Jury trial

Today, the jury in the District Court of Utah trial between SCO Group and Novell issued a verdict.

Novell is very pleased with the jurys decision confirming Novells ownership of the Unix copyrights, which SCO had asserted to own in its attack on Linux. Novell remains committed to promoting Linux, including by defending Linux on the intellectual property front.

This decision is good news for Novell, for Linux, and for the open source community.

Good news. Is it too much to hope that this is the end of the matter? Probably...

Not until a stake is driven through SCO's heart, followed immediately by exposure to sunlight.

Blog Entries

I note Red Hat shares are up 2.8 % on heavy volume after a series of down days. ... Possibly related? ... who knows... I lost my crystal ball a long time ago, but I do note the market dislikes uncertainty, and this verdict removes (for now) some of the uncertainty.

Good news. M$ always used this case to scare organizations using Linux.
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro
    Latest MS Windows version used: Win95

7. Default Re: Jury Says Novell Owns Unix Copyrights

Quote Originally Posted by suezuh View Post
    Not until a stake is driven through SCO's heart, followed immediately by exposure to sunlight.
    Even then there's a way to revive it if one knows the dark magics
    I'm confused...No, wait...Maybe I'm not...

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath5000 View Post
    Even then there's a way to revive it if one knows the dark magics
    Says the user with the nickname "Wrath5000"

From SLT via Groklaw:

Former U.S. District Judge Edward Cahn, the trustee for SCO's bankruptcy filed in Delaware, said the company is "deeply disappointed" in the jury's verdict in the dispute over which company owned the copyrights to Unix, which is widely used in business computing. But Cahn said SCO intends to continue its lawsuit against IBM, in which the computer giant is accused of using Unix code to make the Linux operating system a viable competitor, causing a decline in SCO's revenues. "The copyright claims are gone, but we have other claims based on contracts," Cahn said.
    I wonder if this is the same Edward Cahn who directed Zombies of Mora Tau?

This is good news indeed! Open Source is saved for now anyway.
    On a related (though it may not look it) note.
    It does clear the way for any companies that were thinking of acquiring Novell.
    Challenge your preconceptions, or they will challenge you.
    My 32 bit: E Machines T3103| VIA On board graphics|512MB RAM
    My 64 bit: Gateway 5670| Nvidia GeForce GT610 |CPU AMD Phenom 8400|4G RAM
    Opensuse 13.2 KDE 4.14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast