Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11.2/gnome flakey auto bootup & shutdown

Default 11.2/gnome flakey auto bootup & shutdown

I didn't notice any relevant complaints regarding 11.2 in the archives. The bootup & shutdow may be different problems.

Randomly my recent install boots up fine or hangs with a blank black screen. A Ctl Alt F2 gets me to a prompt. Startx returns a lockfile comment that X is already running.

From here I can shut 11.2 down and restart it OK. There must be a bootlog kept in /var somewhere.

I haven't tried the non-automatic bootup.

The shutdown randomly drops back to the logout screen. Usually a shutdown command from there will shut it down. Sometimes shutdown doesn't work, but restart will finish the shutdown.

Is the 11.2 autoboot function with gnome solid? Heboland

Blog Entries

Default Re: 11.2/gnome flakey auto bootup & shutdown

Try booting in failsafe from the boot menu
    Then post the result of this from a terminal

Code:
    zypper lr -d
    13.2_Laptop_Spec
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thank you for your response caf4926!
    The output response to your command is so nicely formatted, I hope to capture it here.
    Can I attach a text file? Will this do? Heboland

frank[2290] zypper lr -d
    # | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service
    --+-----------------+-----------------------+---------+---------+----------+-------+-----------------------------------------------------------------+--------
    1 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:/// |
    2 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.2-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    3 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss |
    4 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    5 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.2-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
    6 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.2-Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /update/11.2 |
    frank[2291]

Blog Entries

That's fine.
    Is your system up to date.

su - terminal

Code:
    zypper up
    Personally I recommend not using auto login. I am not really a gnome user, though I have just recently installed gnome to test it. It seems fine, though slower to boot than kde.

Log files are in /var/log
    13.2_Laptop_Spec
    My Articles

Thanks again caf4926.
    I'm on dial-up, so I have to choose my updates frugally! Does the zypper up get me an update list or does it attempt the update also.

In previous experience the dial-up link won't last until the repositories get synced up. That makes the SW management mad!

I poked around in /var without finding anything. Boot didn't reveal anything. On this install I switched to gnome hoping to ease the size of the updating required. Mostly I want to update security only.
    Heboland

Blog Entries

Dial-up
    Yikes!

zypper lu
    will list the updates, but expect it as long as your arm.
    If it's a Laptop, get it to a internet cafe if you can

zypper ve
    will veryfy everything
    13.2_Laptop_Spec
    My Articles

Thanks caf4926!
    No, I have a desktop. I see there is a manpage for zypper.

One thing that may be useful is how to start gnome if I get to the black screen. I thought that ctl alt F2 killed the X server, but it still seems to be running.

There is probably a command I could enter at the prompt that would tell me what level of booting I was at.

Another step I could take from the black screen prompt might be to look at a log file. Heboland

Blog Entries

Ctrl+Alt+F2
    then login
    then type: init 3
    hit enter again

then try: startx
    13.2_Laptop_Spec
    My Articles

Replying to myself, I just recovered from a black screen!

Using the ctl alt F2 to get a prompt, I logged in as root. Runlevel gave N 5. I tried init 3 which started by killing gdm (gnome display manager)?

Runlevel then gave me 5 3. From here I executed gdm and gnome loaded.

Regarding the boot logs in /var, is the boot.omsg the previous boot.msg? Heboland

Thanks caf4926 - I just noticed your post to try startx.

I'll give that a try, but I have some questions about gdm you may be able to help me with.

gdm --help shows a gdm --debug option and I tried that once from runlevel3. That must write a log somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

What would be neat would be to invoke that debug option so the autoboot SW would record the whole autoboot process.

One of the autoboot hangs actually displayed the login menu on the black screen with the word autoboot as the user.

Another outcome displayed some of the gnome taskbar icons, but they were inactive.

I know your help time is limited and that a manual login would probably work. Do you think the gnome forum would be interested in this behavior or does this belong here?

Heboland

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast