[SOLVED]: kdm user / passwd prompt missing
Thanks. I'm better now. The first post in the Google search was the ticket. Took me a bit to get my card to work after that though so I think the PCMCIA WLAN card and AUTOLOGIN feature and -debug are all related somehow.
At some point I will be doing a clean install (on another system most likely) and will be very methodical in my note-taking. I typically don't take notes if I can find the information readily but then I sometimes miss order of execution that is valuable in troubleshooting.
For the record, the solution is (openSUSE 11.2 / KDE4):
(1) Click on the gecko (Kickoff Application Launcher at bottom left on default LiveCD install).
(2) Click Computer then YaST Control Center.
(3) Click System then '/etc/sysconfig' Editor.
(4) Click Desktop then Display Manager in the tree and then find
(5) If your username is listed in the string field at the top right part of the window, click Default to clear (or just clear it out yerself).
Using root privileges, edit:
...so that the following line is active and free of anything in the quotes:
(Gee, and I wonder why I prefer the CLI. ;-)
Non-IT technical professional using Linux distros at home in my spare time.
Redmond and even Cupertino just don't get it.
Boca Raton got it but Armonk lost it.
Watch out for Mountain View!