Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which driver to Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT AGP 256MB?

Default Which driver to Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT AGP 256MB?

Hi,
    I didn't found working driver for my card yet. Using OpenSUSE 11.2 KDE, Motherboard MSI 648F Neo, Pentium4 2.8GHz, 2 x 1GB DDR.

I've found, that my card should be supported according to HCL/ATI Video Cards - openSUSE

Installation following ATI drivers - openSUSE Easy Way didn't work because of chcecksum difference (x11-video-fglrxG02), Repositary Way too. Hard Way Installation resulted to disability of Graphic Environment and I wasn't able to fix that (finally, I somehow get running KDE, but Kwin always broke down, so system was unuseful).

I also tried packages found by Software search (Software.openSUSE.org), so package 'xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd' but nothing works for me, some of them provide result of "glxingo | grep direct" -> "No", some of them "Yes", but in this case I wasn't able to run "glxgears", because of error "drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -22. Kernel failed to parse or rejected command stream. See dmesg for more info." Desktop Effects I cannot run anyway.

I'm newbie here and I don't know what do to now, how to get graphic acceleration working. It will be great if is here someone with exactly same, or similar card, he could write a step-by-step guide to do that. Starting with fresh installation of OpenSUSE (not corrupted by my previous tries) is not problem.

If there are some important information that I'd missed, please specify them.
    Thank you very much!

Default Re: Which driver to Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT AGP 256MB?

The new Catalyst 10.2 should work on your card. It works fine with my 4870.
    If anything, the card being an old agp card could be an issue.
    Starting with a clean install probably would be a good idea.

This is how I installed Catalyst 10.2:
    1. Download it from Ati's site:
      https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...x86.x86_64.run
      and save it in your home directory
    2. open your home directory with Dolphin, select the downloaded file, right click > Properties > Permissions > check "is executable"
    3. open a Konsole window and enter:
      su
      Press enter and input your root passwort.
    4. To install the neccessary packages, enter:
      zypper in kernel-source linux-kernel-headers kernel-syms module-init-tools make gcc
    5. When it's done, launch the installer with:
      sh ati-driver-installer-10-2-x86.x86_64.run
    6. In the installer, select to generate a distro-specific package and choose "openSuse 11.2", either x86 or amd64, depending if you have 32-bit or 64-bit.
    7. When it is done generating the package, close the installer and enter in the konsole window:
      init 3
    8. Now to install the generated package, enter:
      rpm -Uvh fglrx64_7_4_0_SUSE112-8.702-1.x86_64.rpm (for 64-bit or just "x86" for 32-bit)
    9. Once it is done installing, enter:
      sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx
    10. In the upcoming dialog, tell it to accept the defaults.
    11. Finally, enter the following to reboot the PC:
      init 6

It should work after that - it does for me.
    OpenSuse 11.2 x64 + Kde 4.4.2 Release 234

Thank you for your time! Your instructions looks very clear and easy to understand, but I have problem on point 6, I couldn't create a rpm package. It always finish by error with any version of OpenSUSE package. I did that from fresh installation, precisely following your instructions, tried re-download, older version of driver, re-install OpenSUSE again, but that still doesn't work

My /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log
    Code:
    Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SLE10-IA32
    /tmp/ati.BkHp43
    Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SUSE103-IA32
    /tmp/ati.mGa6er
    Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SUSE110-IA32
    /tmp/ati.OBUQjI
    Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SLE10-AMD64
    /tmp/ati.R7Ars7
    Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SUSE103-AMD64
    /tmp/ati.AS4ylj
    Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SUSE110-AMD64
    /tmp/ati.V5VXcD
    Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SLE11-IA32
    /tmp/ati.XrbgQr
    Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SUSE111-IA32
    /tmp/ati.1pmink
    Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SUSE112-IA32
    /tmp/ati.KzF2qg
    Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SLE11-AMD64
    /tmp/ati.xywHH3
    Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SUSE111-AMD64
    /tmp/ati.37MH6m
    Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SUSE112-AMD64

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trebisuse View Post
    I did that from fresh installation, precisely following your instructions, tried re-download, older version of driver, re-install OpenSUSE again, but that still doesn't work
    The first thing that comes to my mind when I see those error messages is the likelyhood that the wrong command was sent. Can you also include the precise syntax of the command you sent?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    The first thing that comes to my mind when I see those error messages is the likelyhood that the wrong command was sent. Can you also include the precise syntax of the command you sent?
    Sorry for longer delay,
    Sure, I did exactly these steps:

1. Downloaded installer to ~/Download/ati-driver-installer-10-2-x86.x86_64.run
    2. Set tick on Properties -> Permissions -> Is Executable
    3. Entered to the Konsole:

Code:
    trebi@linux-ds1o:~> su
    Password:             
    linux-ds1o:/home/trebi # zypper in kernel-source linux-kernel-headers kernel-syms module-init-tools make gcc                                                    
    Loading repository data...                                                      
    Reading installed packages...                                                   
    'module-init-tools' is already installed.                                       
    Resolving package dependencies...                                               

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
      gcc gcc44 glibc-devel kernel-debug-devel kernel-default-devel 
      kernel-desktop-devel kernel-pae-devel kernel-source kernel-syms 
      kernel-xen-devel linux-kernel-headers make                      

12 new packages to install.
    Overall download size: 107.2 MiB. After the operation, additional 396.4 MiB 
    will be used.                                                               
    Continue? [y/n/?] (y): y                                                    
    Retrieving package linux-kernel-headers-2.6.31-3.4.noarch (1/12), 726.0 KiB (2.6 MiB unpacked)                                                                  
    Retrieving: linux-kernel-headers-2.6.31-3.4.noarch.rpm [done (0 B/s)]           
    Installing: linux-kernel-headers-2.6.31-3.4 [done]                              
    Additional rpm output:                                                          
    post linux-kernel-headers-2.6.31-3.4 /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.F8LPrg 1                  

Retrieving package make-3.81-130.2.i586 (2/12), 353.0 KiB (979.0 KiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: make-3.81-130.2.i586.rpm [done (95.4 KiB/s)]                      
    Installing: make-3.81-130.2 [done]                                            
    Retrieving package kernel-source-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.noarch (3/12), 67.3 MiB (333.8 MiB unpacked)                                                                   
    Retrieving: kernel-source-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.noarch.rpm [done (136.2 KiB/s)]       
    Installing: kernel-source-2.6.31.12-0.1.1 [done]                                
    Retrieving package kernel-default-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.i586 (4/12), 6.2 MiB (6.5 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: kernel-default-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.i586.rpm [done (122.6 KiB/s)]
    Installing: kernel-default-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1 [done]
    Retrieving package kernel-pae-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.i586 (5/12), 6.7 MiB (7.1 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: kernel-pae-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.i586.rpm [done (200.4 KiB/s)]
    Installing: kernel-pae-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1 [done]
    Retrieving package kernel-xen-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.i586 (6/12), 5.3 MiB (5.6 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: kernel-xen-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.i586.rpm [done (283.9 KiB/s)]
    Installing: kernel-xen-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1 [done]
    Retrieving package kernel-debug-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.i586 (7/12), 6.4 MiB (6.7 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: kernel-debug-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.i586.rpm [done (197.5 KiB/s)]
    Installing: kernel-debug-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1 [done]
    Retrieving package kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.i586 (8/12), 6.7 MiB (7.0 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.i586.rpm [done (134.8 KiB/s)]
    Installing: kernel-desktop-devel-2.6.31.12-0.1.1 [done]
    Retrieving package glibc-devel-2.10.1-10.5.1.i686 (9/12), 4.4 MiB (20.2 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: glibc-devel-2.10.1-10.5.1.i686.rpm [done (184.5 KiB/s)]
    Installing: glibc-devel-2.10.1-10.5.1 [done]
    Retrieving package gcc44-4.4.1_20090817-2.3.4.i586 (10/12), 2.8 MiB (6.0 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: gcc44-4.4.1_20090817-2.3.4.i586.rpm [done (165.9 KiB/s)]
    Installing: gcc44-4.4.1_20090817-2.3.4 [done]
    Retrieving package kernel-syms-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.i586 (11/12), 451.0 KiB (1.0 KiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: kernel-syms-2.6.31.12-0.1.1.i586.rpm [done (416.8 KiB/s)]
    Installing: kernel-syms-2.6.31.12-0.1.1 [done]
    Retrieving package gcc-4.4-4.2.i586 (12/12), 6.0 KiB (0 B unpacked)
    Retrieving: gcc-4.4-4.2.i586.rpm [done (0 B/s)]
    Installing: gcc-4.4-4.2 [done]
    linux-ds1o:/home/trebi # cd Download
    linux-ds1o:/home/trebi/Download # sh ati-driver-installer-10-2-x86.x86_64.run
    Created directory fglrx-install.KKh8Yu
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.702................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    ==================================================
     ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
    ==================================================
    Detected configuration:
    Architecture: i686 (32-bit)
    X Server: X.Org 7.4 and later releases
    4. "ATI Proprietary Linux Driver 8.702 Setup" ran (graphic version)
    I set "Generate Distribution Specifix Driver Package" -> "SuSE Packages" -> "SuSe/SUSE 112-IA32"

Then, when I clicked on "Exit" button, it says "There were errors durning installation. Details can be found in /usr/share/ati/flgrx-install.log"

Code:
    /tmp/ati.uSGK6Y
    Package build failed!
    [Error] Generate Package - error generating package : SuSE/SUSE112-IA32

Blog Entries

4. "ATI Proprietary Linux Driver 8.702 Setup" ran (graphic version)
    I set "Generate Distribution Specifix Driver Package" -> "SuSE Packages" -> "SuSe/SUSE 112-IA32"

Then, when I clicked on "Exit" button, it says........
    You deviated from the method I follow, so I'm afraid I can not help. I typically instead:

Code:
    sh ati*.run --listpkg
    which will tell me what I need for the next option, when I run:
    Code:
    sh ati*.run --buildpkg SuSE/SUSE112-AMD64
    (or something similar)
    after which I run:
    Code:
    rpm -Uvh fgl*.rpm
    followed by:
    Code:
    ldconfig
    aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
    ... its all documented clearly here: ATI/The Hard Way - openSUSE

... sorry, ... you are following some other method that I know nothing about. I think that is Tokugawa-Ieyasu's method, so he will need to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    You deviated from the method I follow, so I'm afraid I can not help. I typically instead:

Code:
    sh ati*.run --listpkg
    which will tell me what I need for the next option, when I run:
    Code:
    sh ati*.run --buildpkg SuSE/SUSE112-AMD64
    (or something similar)
    after which I run:
    Code:
    rpm -Uvh fgl*.rpm
    followed by:
    Code:
    ldconfig
    aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
    ... its all documented clearly here: ATI/The Hard Way - openSUSE

... sorry, ... you are following some other method that I know nothing about. I think that is Tokugawa-Ieyasu's method, so he will need to help you.
    Apparently both the repo and the one you listed above are broken. This is ATi's problem, not the user's.

okey, problem with generating package solved by installation of all these programs
    • kernel-source
    • qt3
    • compat
    • compat-libstdc++
    • libstdc++
    • libstdc++-devel
    • libgcc
    • xorg-x11-libs
    • xorg-x11-devel
    • Mesa
    • Mesa-devel
    • fontconfig
    • fontconfig-devel
    • expat
    • freetype
    • freetype2
    • freetype2-devel
    • zlib
    • zlib-devel
    • gcc
    • patch

so I'd continued to 8. - "rpm -Uvh fglrx64_7_4_0_SUSE112-8.702-1.x86_64.rpm" but it said that Kernel didn't compile , because it need "kernel-source", but that is installed. Don't it need specific version or something?

and also there was a problem with command sax2 -r, result was a black screen, so I had to reset, but maby It's a bug mentioned here HCL/ATI Video Cards - openSUSE

okey, problem with generating package solved by installation of all these programs
    so I'd continued to 8. - "rpm -Uvh fglrx64_7_4_0_SUSE112-8.702-1.x86_64.rpm" but it said that Kernel didn't compile , because it need "kernel-source", but that is installed. Don't it need specific version or something?
    As I wrote, that command is for the 64-bit version.
    From your post above, you installed everything for the 32-bit version, so you can't compile a 64-bit version for that.
    If you're unsure which version you have, enter at a command prompt:
    uname -r

To get the name of your 32-bit file, go to your home directory where you've compiled it and enter:
    ls fglrx*.rpm

You shouldn't run sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx until after you've installed the driver, otherwise you'll likely have trouble.
    OpenSuse 11.2 x64 + Kde 4.4.2 Release 234

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JerichoKru View Post
    Apparently both the repo and the one you listed above are broken. This is ATi's problem, not the user's.
    I installed the exact same Catalyst 10.2 proprietary driver from that repos around 5 days ago (on an ATI HD3450, 64-bit openSUSE-11.2) and it worked. It definitely is NOT broken for my test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast