Opensuse 11.2, how to install an older Kernel, as recent kernel is not compatible?

A few days ago yast did update my computer to a new kernel-desktop 2.6.31.12-0.1.1.

My mainboard is an ASUS P4P800-VM with Intel ICH5 chipset. This new kernel is not able, to poweroff my computer. Older kernels were able to poweroff the computer.

How can I roll back to the older kernel? Yast does only offer the recent kernel.

In /boot there are only files of the recent kernel.

ASUS P4P800
Intel Pentium 4 HT, 3000 MHz, Frontside 800 MHz/Cache 1 MB
3 GB Ram
AGP nVidia 7600GS/512 MB, nVidia driver 190.53, installed from yast.
PCI WLan TP-Link 951N (Atheros chipset, WLan N, driver ath9 was automatically installed)

Yast should offer you the “old” kernel via software management in the tab “version”.

Another way would be zypper in kernel-$FLAVOR=2.6.31.8

THX,

zypper install kernel-desktop=2.6.31.8

did work, my machine does poweroff again. I now did tell yast2, that kernel-desktop 2.6.31.8 should be kept for the future. Will yast2 offer new kernels, which could be released in the future? Could it be, that future releases of (graphik)-drivers might not be able to install at an older kernel?

A fix for the shutdown issue should be on the way.
You can set a lock on the installed kernel via yast, but then any newer version will not be offered.
Just have a little patience and take a manual look at the kernel package for the next days :wink:

Search the forums for “multiversion”; when applied the system will not update/replace the current kernel, but install the new kernel alongside the older one. Both will appear in GRUB.
This could be a workaroung for many new users that don’t know how to handle a kernel update, they would have the old kernel to fall back to.

I can not see, that a kernel update is on its way for now. There is no new entry at

Index of /update/11.2-test/rpm/i586

Could someone of the Professionals here post this issue to the kernel developers?

THX

There is still no update on its way. Could someone of the moderators please inform the kernel development crew about the issue?

Hi
You need to report as a bug, see here;
http://en.opensuse.org/Bugs

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.3 Milestone 2 (i586) Kernel 2.6.33-rc7-3-default
up 2:55, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.07, 0.08
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 195.36.03