Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install Xampp in suse linux 11.2

Thumbs up How to install Xampp in suse linux 11.2

Hi,
    i am new to suse linux, please any one tell me how to use Xampp and also how to configure mail agent in it

Default Re: How to install Xampp in suse linux 11.2

The required steps are described on apache friends - xampp for linux
    Special effects <- KDE 4.2 Showing off
    More KDE -> PINK KDE

Ok different noob here- I downloaded xampp per the web site cited and file roller places it in the download files window (but where exactly is this link at?) I tried to locate it as a local user and as a root and cannot find the tar file to extract it?

I'm trying to stay away from using root anymore than necessary but when some of these non rpm files are downloded and installed it becomes somewhat of a challenge to use/locate them when installed as root. forgive my ignorance.
    Perhaps you could give me a quick course in using visudo to setup sudouser?

Quote Originally Posted by willedoit View Post
    I'm trying to stay away from using root anymore than necessary
    Then you should stay away from Xampp in the first place.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (R.J. Hanlon)

wow, that's real helpfull advice?? almost as if your one a those who like to start a lil flame eh?

Read the Xampp-Homepage and what they say about Xampp, especially where NOT to use it.

If that is not enough, Install it (instructions are on that page, easy to find) and try to start it as a non-root user.

If you really want to use a LAMP(P)-system, then install the packages provided by your distribution, everything there, so why install some 3rd-party stuff?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (R.J. Hanlon)

I use LAMP distribution provided by the openSUSE. If you want to run a webserver It is simple to use the builtin package set and configure it rather to install XAMP or anything. You can find here how simply you can configure LAMP in SUSE with few easy steps.
    http://www.susegeek.com/internet-bro...suse-110/rotfl!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by willedoit View Post
    wow, that's real helpfull advice?? almost as if your one a those who like to start a lil flame eh?
    Please, you're right, but ignore this. You will see there's loads of people here that will provide help.

The install and configuration on openSUSE is super-easy:
    Install the Web and LAMP Server pattern through the software installer. This will install all needed.
    Configure the webserver through Yast-Network services-HTTP server.
    That's all. If you need more help on configuring/getting it running/solving problems, the best you can do is post a new thread in "Network".

As a rule: for any software you're looking for, first check if packages are available for your openSUSE version. This is the place to start:
    Software.openSUSE.org

Good luck.
    - Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 64 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540, openSUSE Factory + KDE
    - ASUS A73SD, Intel + GT610M Optimus, 6 GB, 2 x 120 GB SSD, openSUSE Factory + KDE

Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

@willedoit I apologise for the unhelpful remark by Akoellh in his first post.

@Akoellh, we've asked you before to stop being rude to the community members. Please reconsider how you talk in these forums.
    Last edited by swerdna; 04-Apr-2010 at 05:34.

Thanks folks, I was aware there are a couple o' flavors of ?amp but was unsure what is available in the OPENSUSE distro - so the different flavors I searched for in the repos came up blank.

I wish ill to no body but with reference to malice and stupidity I would wonder if one knows the difference twixt stupidity and ignorance? nuff said.

I plead ignorance using linux (this is a curable affliction-with a lil help from the likes of the last two posters).

I realize that root privileges are needed to setup/maintain the tools in lamp, but it would appear that one is encouraged to use root privileges
    judiciously/moderately.

Since you folks are obviosly more experienced hands at the gui interface (gnome in this case) could you run down how to access files- downloaded by file roller-from the commandline?

Thanks again folks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast