Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clean up orphaned files?

Default Clean up orphaned files?

What is the best way to try and clean up orphaned files in openSUSE 11.2 gnome? My understanding is there is not a zypper command for this.

thanks for suggestions....I'm trying to lean out the system.

Default Re: Clean up orphaned files?

What do you mean by 'orphaned files' in Gnome?

like unused dependencies of programs that have been installed and later uninstalled that are no longer needed by anything. Unused config files, that sort of thing.

Normally when you remove a package, zypper will remove other packages that that packages depends on, as far as they are not needed by another package, so that should not be too many oprhaned packages.

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    Normally when you remove a package, zypper will remove other packages that that packages depends on, as far as they are not needed by another package, so that should not be too many oprhaned packages.
    Sure about that? That's what I would like to think, but from what I've witnessed, it's only removing the main program...this from a console and Yast Package Manager....try it yourself and check it. Apt doesn't either but has autoremove.

I was hoping for some other way of doing this. I just tend to try out a lot packages.

When you remove a package from the cli with :

zypper rm packagename

it will tell you what other packages it's going to remove and ask you for confirmation. I guess that YaST would do the same.

Other Linux distros have an option to remove orphans, like apt-get autoremove in Ubuntu or urpme --auto-orphans in Mandriva. I would assume that if zypper doesn't have it, that's because it is not needed.

I wonder if the Smart package manager doesn't have the ability to list orphaned packages (?).

Quote Originally Posted by please_try_again View Post
    When you remove a package from the cli with :

zypper rm packagename

it will tell you what other packages it's going to remove and ask you for confirmation. I guess that YaST would do the same.

Other Linux distros have an option to remove orphans, like apt-get autoremove in Ubuntu or urpme --auto-orphans in Mandriva. I would assume that if zypper doesn't have it, that's because it is not needed.

I wonder if the Smart package manager doesn't have the ability to list orphaned packages (?).
    Yes...I know about Ubuntu...but I'm new to openSUSE..still trying to learn the commands, etc...I thought I read 'somewhere' that an autoremove equivalent was a feature request in openSUSE? don't know where I saw that...FATE maybe? i'll look....I'm liking openSUSE very much, haven't used it in 2 years or so...KDE then.

Blog Entries

As far as I know packages are left behind when you remove an application.

In Software Management, IF you use the QT UI you can view the packages by repository and select 'System'
    This will let you see the entire list of installed packages and their status is indicated by the version numbers text colour
    Black= OK
    Blue= Update available
    Red= Roll back available OR this package is no longer available (which might be for a number of reasons: It has been dropped entirely, you have removed or disabled the repo from which it came and none of your current repo's supply it)

Beyond that, I don't know. But I would be interested to know if there was a way to verify if all the packages installed are actually required.
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

take a look at an application in the packman repo called rpmorphan to identify possible packages that seem to have no purpose.

i use it occasionally and identify possible extraneous packages and then remove them using yast2 (even thou you can remove them with the program, i am not comfortable with doing it that way).

hope this gives you some alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by j_xavier View Post
    take a look at an application in the packman repo called rpmorphan to identify possible packages that seem to have no purpose.

i use it occasionally and identify possible extraneous packages and then remove them using yast2 (even thou you can remove them with the program, i am not comfortable with doing it that way).

hope this gives you some alternatives.
    thanks...that is what I was looking for. may not matter though, I've just realized I can't play my m4a files with Banshee using openSUSE. I know all about patents, I'm from the U.S....but I've already paid for those codecs over and over and over with Windows, Apple, etc etc...and I'm not paying again. I thought this had changed.

Going back to my old distro I guess....sux....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast