Thread: hdmi doesn't work

Default hdmi doesn't work

I connect my laptop to my TV with a hdmi cable but the tv says "no signal".
    What can i do?
    I think that it would be automatic.
    Do I need to configure anything else?
    thanks.

Default Re: hdmi doesn't work

Bump... I'd like to learn the fix also.

Blog Entries

Red face Re: hdmi doesn't work

jcslahoz please tell us the model and brand of laptop that you are using. Does your laptop have a DVI or HDMI connector on it? You can not connect a VGA connector from the laptop to an HDMI connector on the TV and get it to work.

On the Laptop, you need to turn on the compatible monitor output or you need to reboot the computer while the TV is turned on and set for the HDMI input your computer is connected to.

Finally, if you are using openSUSE, with the TV turned on and set to the correct HDMI input, go to your openSUSE menu, personnel settings, computer administration, display, size & orientation and see if your TV and internal monitor are both listed. If the TV is present, it may be disabled. If it is disabled, you need to enable it.

Thank You,
    Last edited by jdmcdaniel3; 06-Apr-2010 at 18:51. Reason: reworded second paragraph
    My Blog: https://forums.opensuse.org/blogs/jdmcdaniel3/

Software efficiency halves every 18 months, thus compensating for Moore's Law

Its James again from Austin, Texas

Default Re: hdmi doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by jdmcdaniel3 View Post
    jcslahoz please tell us the model and brand of laptop that you are using. Does your laptop have a DVI or HDMI connector on it? You can not connect a VGA connector from the laptop to an HDMI connector on the TV and get it to work.

On the Laptop, you need to turn on the compatible monitor output or you need to reboot the computer while the TV is turned on and set for the HDMI input your computer is connected to.

Finally, if you are using openSUSE, with the TV turned on and set to the correct HDMI input, go to your openSUSE menu, personnel settings, computer administration, display, size & orientation and see if your TV and internal monitor are both listed. If the TV is present, it may be disabled. If it is disabled, you need to enable it.

Thank You,
    This advice + the following if your graphics card is Nvidia.
    Run the nvidia-settings to set up the second display (that is, TV).
    Code:
    nvidia-settings
    openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) with Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop and KDE 4.11.2 on MacBook Pro
    Latest MS Windows version used: Win95