Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: On "Repair Installed System": "Kernel panic"...

Default On "Repair Installed System": "Kernel panic"...

I recently bought a new computer, brand new parts, assembled by a friend that I trust. I brought it home, installed OpenSUSE 11.2, and tweaked it over the course of last week, then I experienced a problem, with one of the programs causing a segmentation fault, and crashing.

Another symptom that began at that time was that attempts to move large amounts of data between computers (ftp via router), with no other activity, the computer would simply freeze up -- the image on the screen would literally freeze-frame at the time that it occurred. The keyboard froze as well, making any attmempts to restart using ctrl-alt-delete, or to switch to the other computer (via a shared input/output and monitor switch) impossible.

I felt that the best remedy would be to use "Repair Installed System". However, when I attempted this, I hit another glitch. After it loaded the kernel, it entered VGA mode with details of progress -- which wasn't much. It ends suddenly, with a Call Trace (final entry being "child_rip+0xa/0x20"), and the machine and keyboard lock up again, much like above.

Within these details, these lines seem to be the important indicators of what's going on:

ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
    VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(3,1)
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3,1)
    My root partition is located at sda1, so I attempted again using the Boot Option "root=0802" and experienced the same lockup, with a little more information:

EXT3-fs: sda2: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240).
    EXT2-fs: sda2: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240).
    No filesystem could mount root, tried: ext3 ext2 iso9660
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,2)
    I have two identical hard drives: ATA WDC WD6400AACS-0 -- both are formatted with the ext4 filesystem, which the installer is NOT attempting. Using the Boot Options of "rootfstype=ext4" and "root=0802" result in the same error.

I AM ABLE to "Boot from Hard Disk", so the kernel I currently have installed and configured appears to be uncorrupted. But if I attempt any *other* selection from the OpenSUSE Installer provided by the DVD -- Installation, Repair, Rescue, Check Installation Media, Firmware or Memory Test -- it loads the kernel from the DVD, and locks up as above. I attempted to reinstall the OS entirely, for example, but couldn't get past the Kernel Panic.

I have experienced this problem twice. The first time came at the end of last week. At one point, I unplugged the sdb drive, attempted a few things but went nowhere, then replugged sdb. I'm not sure what it did, but it fixed *something*. I was able to successfully open Repair Installed System as I wanted, but those attempts failed. After another hour, I chose to attempt a complete reinstallation, which *was* finally possible, and it was successful. (My apologies for not being more detailed about these processes -- I didn't think to log what I was doing at the time, and I'd rather describe them vaguely than remember incorrect details...)

I ran with this new installation for a few days, I am again encountering segmentation faults, and the machine locking up soon thereafter.

If it matters my motherboard is an ASUS M4A79T Deluxe.

Thanks for hearing me out. I looked for my problem in the forums, but found nothing quite like this. If it's there and I missed it, please point me in the right direction! Also, if more information is needed about my hardware, please let me know...

Wildcat

palladium NNTP User

Default Re: On "Repair Installed System": "Kernel panic"...

read to bottom (because i change my mind halfway down)

kernel panic is *very* often caused by bad RAM...suggest you boot from
    openSUSE install media and select "Memory Test" from the first green
    screen...it will take a while to do a complete check....most folks say
    run it overnight, at least..

oh, and while you have the disk in, if you didn't already then check
    the install media also....a bad install could also cause memory
    clashes and freezes...do this: http://tinyurl.com/yajm2aq

WAIT: reading your note again i think it kinda likely you have a bad
    install disk *or* some flaky hardware *or* setup (too many things
    messed up)...check the install disk first: if you burned the disk
    yourself, did you md5sum check the iso BEFORE burning the disk? and
    THEN check the disk...see details of how to do all of that here:
    http://en.opensuse.org/Download_Help

the install disk MUST be 100% ok (Garbage in, garbage out.)

and go though the motherboard's manual and select the correct bios
    setup for your system...

then, you can come back and see if anyone else has some specific
    advice based on your logs..

and, let us know how you get on..

--
    palladium

What video there is a nasty bug that corrupts the FS with certain ATI cards and kernel combinations. Happens when you run a OpenGL program.

Thanks for the response, palladium. I'll attempt your suggestions a bit later and see what happens.

An update on the machine's behaviour when it's completely booted: On Friday, I set up an FTP between machines, of a large data transfer, and then went to bed -- started the process at 1100. I woke up that evening and checked, and the computer (and screen) were frozen at around 1300 hours. So, after 2 hours of file transfer, it locked up. (The file was, in fact, the ISO image of either SUSE 11.1 or 11.2 -- 5 GB. And it choked on it.)

Today, I did a similar thing, leaving it alone after a reboot. No file transfers this time, but I had it read and convert an audio stream into an MP3, and download a handful of others automatically. When I got up this evening, all was well -- there were no glitches.

So, I'm fairly certain that the FTP is bogging down and choking out my computer. I've no idea if this is related to the bad fs stuff.

Also, the program that was crashing with Segmentation Fault earlier today was Seamonkey. After the reboot, it was functioning normally without crashing. Friday, the seg-fault offender was Audacity -- now that I think about it, I don't believe I tried to restart it after rebooting. I guess I assumed it was a bad install of that program. It works fine now, after the complete system installation.

Again, I'll try your suggestions, and get back to you with what I find.

Thanks again!

Wildcat

Suggestion; FTP may use temp files on the root partition if you run out of space on root it can lock things up.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Suggestion; FTP may use temp files on the root partition if you run out of space on root it can lock things up.
    Thank you for your input as well, gogalthorp! To answer your first question (I was in a rush earlier and ran out of time to respond), I'm using a BFG Tech BFGE98512GTXPOCE GeForce 9800 GTX+ -- an NVIDIA card. So I think I'm outside the possibility of an ATI corruption, but I suppose anything remains possible.

As for FTP, I did not know that, re: temp files. I'll test that a bit later, and see if that is indeed the case. My Root partition is only 20 Gb or so, and I can easily see it cramping up with temp files, especially if they aren't cleaned up properly after an FTP session.

As y'all can imagine, I'm really *really* hoping this is "just" a bad kernel or disk or installation, and NOT my hardware!

Thanks again, and I'll keep you posted!

Wildcat

I'll tackle these one item at a time, rather than lumping them all into one massive reply...

Quote Originally Posted by palladium View Post
    oh, and while you have the disk in, if you didn't already then check
    the install media also....a bad install could also cause memory
    clashes and freezes...do this: http://tinyurl.com/yajm2aq
    Sometimes, I forget the value of owning multiple computers -- while the machine in question is balking at letting me use the DVD's functions, I realized I have two others that *aren't* "broken"! So, dropping the disk into my laptop, I ran Check Install Media, and the result is: "Checksum wrong. This CD-ROM is broken."

I have another copy, burned on the same computer, with the same method... I'll double-check that as well. I imagine I'll get the same result, as it also game me the same fits on the new machine. At the same time, I'll burn another copy at a slower rate or something, unless another method is advised...

Wildcat

Quote Originally Posted by palladium View Post
    kernel panic is *very* often caused by bad RAM...suggest you boot from
    openSUSE install media and select "Memory Test" from the first green
    screen...it will take a while to do a complete check....most folks say
    run it overnight, at least..
    I was wrong about the Memory Test portion of the disks posing the same problem. It works. Unfortunately, it didn't take long at all to determine something is well and truly borked. over 1200 errors detected, before I gave up and rebooted. I can only assume this was a test of the first RAM stick. Which sucks, because it might be difficult to remove without having to shift the CPU cooling fan apparatus. :/

And I'm sure it didn't get anywhere near testing even the second stick.

More as I learn about it...

Wildcat

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat4Ever View Post
    I was wrong about the Memory Test portion of the disks posing the same problem. It works. Unfortunately, it didn't take long at all to determine something is well and truly borked. over 1200 errors detected, before I gave up and rebooted. I can only assume this was a test of the first RAM stick. Which sucks, because it might be difficult to remove without having to shift the CPU cooling fan apparatus. :/

And I'm sure it didn't get anywhere near testing even the second stick.

More as I learn about it...
    Wish I could just edit my most recent post to update -- I hate inflating my post count by replying to myself. :P

I pulled the number one stick and started the tests with only two -- and kicked up more errors. I've reinstalled the first (in the #3 slot, easiest access), and am going to run a full-on test overnight.

Wildcat

No need to continue if it is kicking errors. If all modules are bad there is a possibility you have incorrectly speced memory. Be sure that the memory is correct for the motherboard. Also since this is a brand new mother board it is possible that something is not right on it. Also check the BIOS to see if something is being over clocked all should be default at least at first.

It is a wonder that computers run at all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast