Boot to Level 3, then Yast and More....

Boot to Level 3, then YaST and Software Management and More

You might want to do this if you can no longer boot to your Desktop User Interface, and you are not all that comfortable with or knowledgeable with CLI. But we do briefly address CLI here too. It will give you access to the YaST Control Centre. Things we might want to do from here:

1. Add and Remove Software and or Updates (Software Management)
  2. Edit login settings like auto-login (User and Group Management)
  3. Add / Remove Repositories (Software Repositories)
  4. Manage the Bootloader (Bootloader)

not a complete and comprehensive list

Actually, anything in the YaST Control Centre can be managed here, just as in the full UI Desktop. You just have to get familiar with keyboard navigation, mostly the {TAB} key.

This guide will show you how to boot to level 3 and proceed to start YaST. It should be noted that it is not necessary to start YaST, you can login, become super user (su) and perform tasks from the CLI. Eg; Install nvidia drivers manually.

This is a OpenOffice presentation slide show you can download:
Level 3 Boot and Start Yast Slide Show

If you prefer to** look at the slide show directly online**:
Live Slide Show

Very nice caf.

I didn’t know YaST could be run that way.

Really. You surprise me.
Well we learn something every day I guess.

Rofl. You have no idea how nice this would have been to know like 12 hours ago.
I am new to openSUSE (kinda new to linux in general) and was installing nvidia drivers
in gnome, reboot, and all of course… wouldn’t boot to the gui. I went through the trouble
of running the livecd (which takes 5mins to even switch a window) and researching the cli
to install repos manually.
It was a good learning experience but would have been nice not to have that headache

Thanks for the slideshow!