Newbie - a few questions

Hi, I’ve just did a fresh installation of opensuse (openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64)) and have a few problems. If anything of that was already discussed and solved, please point me in the right direction, i was unable to find anything.

1. Right after the installation, I tried changing the Desktop Theme. After that, mysteriously all the titlebars disappeared from the windows and I was unable to open the applauncher. What was that?! KDE died?

2. I was happy to see that flash in Firefox was working right out of the box since I was unable to solve that while on live CD. Even youtube was working.
    Interestingly, now I suddenly get no sound from youtube. I tried running

speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav

as I’ve found someone suggested to test the sound. I get nothing. However the annoying welcome and shutdown sound of the OS works well.

1. There’s a crazy penguin boot screen. How can I disable it and start loading the OS straight away?

Thanks in advance, I’m thankful for any help.

HW: Lenovo T400 C2D T9400, 3GB

Hi,

This is the bootloader, and the screen you speak of is where you can choose to boot with different options, it’s not generally recommended to bypass it completely but you can, or you can change the amount of time it displays for.

I personally consider the default, 8 seconds, to be too long, and I have it set to 3 seconds.

It is discussed here: Change from bootlist to loading screen - openSUSE Forums

p.s. it only has the winter penguin theme for Christmas.

Regards,
Barry.