Thread: many things dont work after parallel installation

tritigr NNTP User

Default many things dont work after parallel installation

Hello all,

I tried to upgrade my 11.1 installation to 11.2. To do this, I copied my installation to another partition of the hard drive, but used the same partition for /home. So after upgrading on one partition, I thought I should have a fallback, because of the old installation on the other partition.

As the upgrade didn't go well, I wanted to go back to the old installation, but a lot of things don"t work anymore:

- automount of usb sticks and cds in gnome.
    - switching off the computer with the "switch off" button works (somehow), but hibernation and suspend just do nothing
    - worst of all, most yast administration tools have stopped working with the following message: (even yast in text mode crashes when I select something).

/usr/lib/YaST2/plugin/libpy2gtk.so.2: /lib/libpopt.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/librpm.so.0)
    /usr/lib/YaST2/plugin/libpy2gtk.so.2: /lib/libpopt.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/librpmio.so.0)
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'YUIUnsupportedWidgetException'
    what(): Unsupported optional widget type: ContextMenu
    YaST got signal 6 at YCP file Wizard.ycp:691

I thought that there should nothing of system relevance reside in /home???

Oh, in the meantime I made a repair with the CD which installed the popt package again. Now zypper always complains:

zypper: /lib/libpopt.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/librpm.so.0)
    zypper: /lib/libpopt.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/librpmio.so.0)

Any hints anyone??

Til

Default Re: many things dont work after parallel installation

Quote Originally Posted by tritigr View Post
    Hello all,

I tried to upgrade my 11.1 installation to 11.2. To do this, I copied my installation to another partition of the hard drive, but used the same partition for /home. So after upgrading on one partition, I thought I should have a fallback, because of the old installation on the other partition.
    If you did copy your installation to another partition, then try to boot this installation, your /etc/fstab is more likely not going to mount what you want. You should edit /etc/fstab and change the device name of the root partition (if you have only one) beeing mounted by the system ( or UUID or disk ID, since there are several possible syntaxes). Then you should be able to start your old system. There should be nothing wrong with your /home partition. Make also sure that grub does boot what you want. You might have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (it doesn't hurt to have it reflecting the reality on both systems).

tritigr NNTP User

Well, I actually could boot into the copy and do the upgrade. Also, after some fiddling with grub, I managed to also boot to the "old system" again. But now, the old system has a lot of problems, and I was wondering if this could be due to side-effects that the new system was maybe writing something to the shared /home dirs.

I guess I will have to set up a completely new system (

Til

Quote Originally Posted by tritigr View Post
    But now, the old system has a lot of problems, and I was wondering if this could be due to side-effects that the new system was maybe writing something to the shared /home dirs.

I guess I will have to set up a completely new system (

Til
    cat /etc/fstab on both systems
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst

The system itself doesn't need /home. Users do. Either log in as root or create a new user with a different name!

Just a thought since you did manage to run the new system changes may have happened in the home on the desktop's directory.(KDE,Gnome???) Personally I never do an upgrade I always do fresh install and tell the installer NOT to format the home partition. Also since things change I feel it is best to rename the older .kde/.kde4/gnome directories and start out with a new desktop. This is particularly try when jumping up several version numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    Personally I never do an upgrade I always do fresh install and tell the installer NOT to format the home partition.
    That's exactly the way I proceed too.