Thread: How to add openSUSE 11.2 on a Multiboot USB?

Default How to add openSUSE 11.2 on a Multiboot USB?

Hi all,

I have a large multi-boot USB flash drive which I use for everything imaginable (rescue+recovery, portable OS, media drive, check out new distros etc). It's based on Grub4DOS installed to a FAT32 drive. I've managed to get all the common distros/bootables to work fine (Puppy, Parted Magic, SysRescueCD, UBCD, etc) *except* openSUSE 11.2

I copied all the files from the ISO to the flash drive and added an entry to my menu.lst:

Code:
    title openSUSE_Live_(KDE)
    kernel /boot/x86_64/loader/linux ramdisk_size=512000 ramdisk_blocksize=4096 splash=silent quiet preloadlog=/dev/null showopts 
    initrd /boot/x86_64/loader/initrd
    but it fails to boot. (I get some 'BAR 6' memory error)

I suspect this might be due to the new "hybrid" ISO technology. Unfortunately, the "dd" solution isn't a feasible option for me.

Is there any way to boot the new openSUSE in my current setup? Thanks.

Default Re: How to add openSUSE 11.2 on a Multiboot USB?

Looking at advice around, for example making a persistent USB boot, and the official page Live USB stick - openSUSE you can install into another partition.

So perhaps you can shrink your FAT partition, and then dd the image in (I believe bs=32k is correct rather than 4MB instruction in release notes which seems to fail on some drives).

I realise that might not be a good solution, if not perhaps you can explain why and then see where it goes?