Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird crashes when attaching file

Default Thunderbird crashes when attaching file

Since yesterday, Thunderbird has started a new habit of disappearing into thin air when I click on Attach file. Has anyone else come across this? A Google search only reveals a few references to similar crashes some time ago running under XP. I'm asking here first because I can't recall changing anything at all in my email configuration recently so it might be Linux. openSUSE, or KDE4-specific. Attaching a file by drag-and-drop still works.
    Running KDE 4.3.2, OSS 11.1.
    Günter

Desk: openSUSE 12.3, KDE4.10.2, Intel i3, 8Gb, Kingston 64Gb SSD, 2 SATA, dual monitors.
    Lap: Toshiba Satellite L300, openSUSE 12.3, KDE4.10.2, Intel C2D 2.1GHz CPU, 4Gb, Intel X3100 video.

Default Re: Thunderbird crashes when attaching file

I experienced the same problem with Thunderbird on openSUSE 11.1 / KDE 4.3.1 recently. It wasn't only Thunderbird. Whenever I tried to browse for a file from the webBrowser (when using gmail), the window crashed just the same. The weird thing was that I have 3 machines all with openSUSE (same configuration) but only one of my machines had the crashing problem. I deleted my Thunderbird profile thinking my profile was corrupt. That didn't help. It wasn't until I completely uninstalled Thunderbird and Firefox and did a fresh install of both that the problem finally went away.

Not exactly sure what caused it to happen on just that one machine, but a reinstall fixed it.

Thanks for that, at least I'm not the only one! As 11.2 is imminent, I'll probably struggle on and simply attach files to outgoing messages using drag-and-drop for now, as 11.2 will mean a fresh install anyway. Unless, that is, someone comes up with a specific solution in the meantime...
    Günter

Desk: openSUSE 12.3, KDE4.10.2, Intel i3, 8Gb, Kingston 64Gb SSD, 2 SATA, dual monitors.
    Lap: Toshiba Satellite L300, openSUSE 12.3, KDE4.10.2, Intel C2D 2.1GHz CPU, 4Gb, Intel X3100 video.

Actually, on closer inspection drag-and-drop also doesn't work... It appears to work, but all I get in a test message sent to myself is the filename mixed in with my signature, and no attachment. Looks like I might have to reinstall, or just use Gmail IMAP through a browser until 11.2 comes out. Or switch to 11.2 RC right now...
    Günter

Blog Entries

Re-installation would be completely unnecessary.
    Run thunderbird by starting it from a terminal and watch the error when it crashes.
    Where is you TB package from?

I have TB 3.0 beta 4 in Fedora and no problem
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

OK, here's the terminal output:

hgm@linux-3y62:~> thunderbird
    *** nss-shared-helper: Shared database disabled (set NSS_USE_SHARED_DB to enable).

(gecko:30518): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: invoking List() failed for type GProxyVolumeMonitorHal: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
    /usr/bin/thunderbird: line 134: 30518 Segmentation fault $MOZ_PROGRAM "$@"
    hgm@linux-3y62:~>
    I'm using 2.0.0.23-6.2, from the openSUSE Build Service.
    Günter

Blog Entries

Not sure what your problem is here.
    I'm not using Mozilla repo ATM because I'm RC2, but when I do use it I don't necessarily have packages supplied solely by Mozilla, but some may be from Updates. I have never had issue doing it this way. For me Updates and Mozilla would typically have the same priority, but AYK if Updates has a newer package ver than some in Mozilla, you can end up with a supply of packages from different repos.
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

I hadn't done an update of any Mozilla stuff for ages before this problem reared it head, a few days ago. I then did a Thunderbird update to see if it would help but it didn't.
    Günter

Blog Entries

Are there any packages showing blue or red in the mozilla repo view?
    My openSUSE 13.1 KDE Box
    My Articles

Only Lightning which I didn't bother to update as I don't use it.
    Günter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast