Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OpenOffice wow!

Talking OpenOffice wow!

Am I the only one whose noticed OpenOffice suddenly got a whole lot better? I've been trying to switch to Ooo for a while but always seemed to into issues during a session on how to get something done. I tried using 3.1.1 spreadsheet yesterday and everything (though different from OXP) was really obvious and intuitive, from data entry to formatting to plotting with X-Y plots. (I always used to get hung up with moving the data into a plot.) Good work, guys! I'm glad I donated...

Of course, I've known for some time that it's more stable that OfficeXP's spreadsheet. In the past when my OXP spreadsheets get larger than a certain size (about 25 worksheets), it begins to throw font-cache errors. I usually just reopen them in Ooo and the errors are gone - I can just keep growing the spreadsheet in Ooo.

Patti

Default Re: OpenOffice wow!

My biggest problem is using vba modules in OpenOffice. Especially ones that are written in Excel that I open in OpenOffice.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Glad someone likes it.

I have found the spreadsheets / graphs to be improving rapidly. My sticking point with openoffice is that some bugs just *do not ever* get fixed.

Put a long line of text into writer, so it wraps. Move the cursor to the end of a screen line, and press space. It gives you *no* visual indication of how many spaces there are there.

This, as far as I'm concerned, is a *really* stupid, annoying, important bug. Sure, it isn't earth shattering, but it's the sort of thing that will impact *every* user of OO writer.

It was first noted during the Great Cattle Drive of 1856. I know you shouldn't complain if you don't contribute. I know managing open source projects presents all kinds of complexities. I don't care, I'm going to say it: it should blooming well have been fixed by now.

Apparently it's because the code base is arcane, and there are parts of it that more or less nobody understands. They have my sympathies, but at some point they need to just bite the bullet, and drop the code base. It's upheaval, sure, but KDE seem to have survived it.

Personally, I'm itching for something else to come along, and give them some serious competition, so they *have* to start again from scratch (or just take the base from the other project), get rid of the bits they can't fix, and then move the useful features - of which there are many - over.

My *really annoyed about that bug still being there* two pence.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuseling View Post
    Apparently it's because the code base is arcane, and there are parts of it that more or less nobody understands. They have my sympathies, but at some point they need to just bite the bullet, and drop the code base. It's upheaval, sure, but KDE seem to have survived it.

Personally, I'm itching for something else to come along, and give them some serious competition, so they *have* to start again from scratch (or just take the base from the other project), get rid of the bits they can't fix, and then move the useful features - of which there are many - over.

My *really annoyed about that bug still being there* two pence.
    You mean like IBM's Symphony?

KOffice looks pretty good, but it is limited to some degree with the KDE desktop. I know it has some project to move it to Windows too and will work in Gnome but the name alone marries it to KDE.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Abiword is perhaps the other contender. I don't know - I've tried all of them, and I think they're coming along, but still need work. I think Lotus Symphony is probably the closest to being usable, but I still prefer OOo - and Symphony isn't open source.

It just gets my goat. I genuinely think open source is a better way to develop things. Although Opera is great, Firefox still eats IE for breakfast. The fundamentals of Linux just plain work better than the fundamentals of Windows. They're efficient, secure, stable, and extensible - and all this comes about specifically because it's open source.

But if you can't understand the code base of open source, the advantage is lost. If the pre-eminent project for one of the most pivotal pieces of software on a desktop is impossible to fix things in, something's gone badly wrong. It just seems like a rut - nobody uses anything other than OOo, because OOo gets more development. And OOo are sticking with what they've got, even if it's broken.

Put a long line of text into writer, so it wraps. Move the cursor to the end of a screen line, and press space. It gives you *no* visual indication of how many spaces there are there.
    Tools>Options>OpenOffice Writer>Formatting aids>Display>Spaces

Doesn't work on 3.1.1 on SUSE's version at least. Haven't tried it on the standard OO - I'll have a look.

Thanks anyway.

Interestingly, Lotus Symphony - based on old OOo code - has the same bug. Koffice doesn't. Go Koffice!

I've compiled OO 3.1 aready. Doesn't look alot different from the original but definately alot of bugs have been sorted out. I find it close to office.

I REALLY WISH they could do a PROPER Viso port to OOo
    Opensuse 11.3 KDE 4.4.4, Windows XP. Vostro 1500 with 2.0Ghz Core2Duo and 8400M GS and DELL wireless 1390 Card
    Office: PCLinuxOS KDE 4.3.5 Whitebox, 2GB RAM, 2.8GHz Pentium 4

Doesn't work on 3.1.1 on SUSE's version at least. Haven't tried it on the standard OO - I'll have a look.

Thanks anyway.
    Strange, I have the openSUSE version of 3.1.1 installed and it works perfectly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast