Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to configure USB modem in opensuse 11.1

Default How to configure USB modem in opensuse 11.1

I have bought a new USB modem from my service provider. The model they provided is "Huawei EC1260" Huawei Terminal. As usual the official support is for windows and mac.

I tried to install this device using two methods..
    1) Set knetworkmanager settings to "traditional with ifup". Then in wireless setup there is a choice of having "usb" (A tick box). I selected that, and setup completed successfully but the knetworkmanager was not up(I did ifdown wlan0 (wlan0 was the wireless config name), ifup wlan0 and the rcnetwork restart.)

2) Again knetworkmanager was set to "traditional method with ifup. This times while adding the connection I specifically selected the type "USB", then clicked to finish the configuration. The configuration finished without any errors but when I checked the Network Configuration screen no USB device was added there.

Are there any specific steps to configure a USB modem, Please let me know any directions, steps, etc that can help me configure this device....

Please let me know if any clarification or information is needed.
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540
    Dell 620 S Desktop, 6GB, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2310 CPU @ 2.90GHz, openSuSE 13.1
    +KDE 4.11.5, Kernel 3.16.3-1.gd2bbe7f-desktop x86_64

Default Re: How to configure USB modem in opensuse 11.1

Oh.. forgot to mention I am using KDE 4.1, planning to upgrade to KDE 4.3 once my device starts working..
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540

Blog Entries

Try two more approaches:

As swerdna mentioned, you can see if your device is supported by NetworkManager. It will need to be enabled in YaST > Network Devices > Network Settings. With knetworkmanager running, it should appear in the list of available connections. This very much depends on the chipset used in your device.

If not supported yet by NM, (as with my Sierra Compass 597 device), you will need to configure as a modem (via YaST). Then connect using KInternet.

Now, many broadband wireless modem devices also behave like cdrom devices as well when initially plugged in, so you may also need some help with creating a udev rule to deal with this, so that only the modem device is active. There are numerous HOWTOs concerning this if you search. Post again if you have problems.

Lightbulb Re: How to configure USB modem in opensuse 11.1

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    As swerdna mentioned, you can see if your device is supported by NetworkManager. It will need to be enabled in YaST > Network Devices > Network Settings. With knetworkmanager running, it should appear in the list of available connections. This very much depends on the chipset used in your device.

If not supported yet by NM, (as with my Sierra Compass 597 device), you will need to configure as a modem (via YaST). Then connect using KInternet.

Now, many broadband wireless modem devices also behave like cdrom devices as well when initially plugged in, so you may also need some help with creating a udev rule to deal with this, so that only the modem device is active. There are numerous HOWTOs concerning this if you search. Post again if you have problems.
    check posts by me techwiz03 re the mc950d USB wireless as I think this uses the same chipset. The system In my case decided the device was /dev/sr0 but not mounted. If this is your case too, you may need to issue eject /dev/sr0 or whatever it decided was the filesystem portion of the device and then it will be seen as a modem and work. I and others posted ways to test but struggling to remember the commands. Think one was lsUSB.
    When your up to your a** in Alligators it's pretty hard to remember you intended to drain the swamp (author unknown)

Thanks all for your pointers. I will just try them out and let you know of the outcome...
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540

I am not still able to use my USB device as a modem. Here are the steps I took.

First I created a rule as per deano_ferrari beacuse I felt that my USB was not getting detected as modem.
    Then I have given the output of dmesg after I plugged in the USB device. (Please let me know if anything is wrong with it).

The rule is working as /dev/modem is linked to REL_MODEM which I have named the device in the rule.
    But I am not sure if it is forcing the device to work as modem..

Code:
     linux-5brr:/etc/udev/rules.d # cat 10-my-rules.rules
     KERNEL=="sr1", SUBSYSTEM=="block", ATTR{size}=="67584", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{product}=="HUAWEI Mobile", NAME+="REL MODEM", SYMLINK+="modem"

linux-5brr:/etc/udev/rules.d #
     linux-5brr:/etc/udev/rules.d # dmesg
     usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 8
     usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 9
     usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
     scsi11 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
     usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=12d1, idProduct=140b
     usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=4
     usb 1-1: Product: HUAWEI Mobile
     usb 1-1: Manufacturer: HUA�WEI TECHNOLOGIES
     usb 1-1: SerialNumber: �������������������
     usb-storage: device found at 9
     usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
     scsi 11:0:0:0: CD-ROM            HUAWEI   Mass Storage     2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
     sr1: scsi-1 drive
     sr 11:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1
     sr 11:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5
     usb-storage: device scan complete
     linux-5brr:/etc/udev/rules.d # ls -l /dev/modem
     lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2009-09-20 17:09 /dev/modem -> REL_MODEM

After that I configured the modem using Yast (Referring swerdna's site) which I opened as kinternet → seetings → configure with yast.
    No device was listed there. So I clicked Add button. Here are the snapshots for the modem I configured. I took these snapshots after I first configured the modem so the modem is already on the screen.

Picasa Web Albums - Vivek - Suse Modem Setup

Please let me know where I have gone wrong, your pointers as always are always highly appreciated...
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540

Blog Entries

I get lost at the udev rule stage. Need deano_ferrari to comment on the udev rule treatment.

I am not sure how this is related to my probelem, but whenever I plug in my USB device this line keeps adding to my /var/log/messages
    Code:
    Sep 20 21:54:10 linux-5brr kernel: ForceXPAon: 0
    As soon as unplug the device this message stops coming in the /var/log/messages..
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540

I found this article which may help me Using Reliance NetConnect with OpenSUSE 11.1 Dreaming of an Ideal World!!!.

I am also having the same provider but the device is different.
    But the author while giving out some commands uses values like
    Code:

Code:
    modprobe -r usb-storage usbserial; modeprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0xfff6 

Can anyone please tell me how can I get this values assigned to vendor and product...
    --
    Vivek Bhat
    Linux User #496540

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast