USB memory stick access suddenly denied by "policy"..... huh

Running Suse 11.1. Up until today when inserting a USB memory stick it has been detected fine, showed in the system tray ‘last plugged in device’ applet correctly, and from clicking there it would open up with Dolphin.
However today when I plug in a USB stick it seems to be detected ok but when I click on it Dolphin opens my home folder… If I then try to open the memory stick from the drop down menu within Dolphin I get the following error message in a pink box at the bottom of Dolphin window:-

PermissionDeniedByPolicy: org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable
auth_admin_keep_always <-(action,result)

Any clues as to what is going on here would be much appreciated - I havent edited any policies or installed any updates since it was all working fine last time…

Thanks,
Chris

as root

umount /dev/'device'
cd /media

and ls -a
if the usb disk is showing

rm -r 'diskname'

plug back in and it should mount as it did before.

Regards,
Barry.

thanks for that but how can I find out what is the name of ‘device’ to umount??
I’ve also just had a google of the error message I receive and I found a couple of posts that suggest that this is a bug in the HAL system and no fix is available!!!
if I login to the GUI as root everything behaves perfectly with USB memory sticks - just as it did before when logged in as user - how the heck can permisssions suddenly change for accessing a device without me actually altering them??

Hi,

check the output of

mount

thanks - output of ‘mount’ doesnt list the USB stick - seems like when I’m logged in to GUI as user that the USB device is detected by the ‘last plugged in device’ when I plug it in but doesnt mount.
If I log in to the GUI as root the device is detected and mounts ok - I can accesss it from Dolphin without the error message about HAL. Output from running ‘mount’ in this case shows me the stick as /devsdd1 on /media/Rally2 type vfat (rw, nosuid, noatime, flush, uid=0, utf8, shortname=lower)

So I tried logging in to GUI as user, and then open console, su and then mkdir /media/Rally2 and then mounting the stick using mnt - now I can open it with Dolphin fine.

It seems that somehow that auto mounting of usb devices has become broken for user - this is a real pain if I have to login as root in a console and manually mount everytime I take my memory stick in and out - especially as this is a frequent occurrence in my line of work. How can permissions suddenly change like this without me having altered anything?
Thanks,
Chris

Hi,

Maybe it is different from when I had a similar “won’t mount” type problem.

But if it is the same as mine: if you unmount and remove the usb disk, then try

ls -a /media

and the output contains the usb disk, removing that will fix it.

If not it’s something I’ve never come across and one of the many users more knowledgeable than myself will come to the rescue.

Regards,
Barry.

However today when I plug in a USB stick it seems to be detected ok but when I click on it Dolphin opens my home folder… If I then try to open the memory stick from the drop down menu within Dolphin I get the following error message in a pink box at the bottom of Dolphin window:-

PermissionDeniedByPolicy: org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable
auth_admin_keep_always <-(action,result)

The hal policies for various storage devices is located at

/usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.freedesktop.hal.storage.policy

This section in particular, should look like:

<action id=“org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable”>
<description>Mount file systems from removable drives.</description>
<message>System policy prevents mounting removable media</message>
<defaults>
<allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
<allow_active>yes</allow_active>
</defaults>
</action>

thanks for joining in Deano,
My policy config file reads as follows,

<policyconfig>

<action id=“org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed”>
<description>Mount file systems from internal drives.</description>
<message>System policy prevents mounting internal media</message>
<defaults>
<allow_active>auth_admin_keep_always</allow_active>
</defaults>
</action>

<action id=“org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable”>
<description>Mount file systems from removable drives.</description>
<message>System policy prevents mounting removable media</message>
<defaults>
<allow_active>yes</allow_active>
</defaults>
</action>

<cy/org.freedesktop.hal.storage.policy" [readonly] 73L, 2635C 13,1 Top

Seems to be exactly the same as you have posted…
However I have found something here
Re: [opensuse] Strange “PermissionDeniedByPolicy” Problem with 11.1
which seems to suggest that this is definiteley a bug - but when I try to run polkit-action --reset-defaults
org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable I get an error that file cannot be written even though I am logged in to terminal as root… Do I possibly need to drop to a lower runlevel before attemting to edit - just wondering if the reason I cannot write is becos the file is in use … This is starting to get a little bit beyond my ability, surely if this is a known bug it should have been sorted by now - with a solution that even the less competent like myself can follow and action…

which seems to suggest that this is definiteley a bug - but when I try to run polkit-action --reset-defaults
org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable I get an error that file cannot be written even though I am logged in to terminal as root… Do I possibly need to drop to a lower runlevel before attemting to edit - just wondering if the reason I cannot write is becos the file is in use …

Since openSUSE 11.1 was first released, there have been a handful of similar posts to yours describing the same problem. It was definitely a bug, but AFAIK it has been fixed with updates. Have you just installed 11.1 recently? I have also stumbled across that same thread you linked to in the past.

See if this workaround will work for you:

Ivan Zlatev » openSUSE 11.1 – The Workarounds