Thread: XRDP, RDP and Cut/Paste not working?

Default XRDP, RDP and Cut/Paste not working?

Hi everybody,

I am connecting to SuSE 11.1 from an XP workstation. The host is running XRDP
    xorg-x11-server-rdp-7.3.99-9.1, xorg-x11-server-dmx-7.3.99-42.1, xrdp-0.4.1-39.1

The client is running MS RDP 6.0.6x

Generally, all is well. But Cut/Paste is not working outside of the XRDP session. I can Cut/Paste between apps in the XRDP session but not between the XRDP session and the client?

If anyone could suggest where I need to look to resolve this, I would be very grateful.

Regards,
    Martin

Default Re: XRDP, RDP and Cut/Paste not working?

I don't think they are meant to work outside the remote session. If I remember, windows NT used to have a clipbook server that you could set up to allow you to share the clipboard contents between systems.

Thanks for coming back,

Bit puzzled by your comments though . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    I don't think they are meant to work outside the remote session.
    Is the suggestion that there is NO device (drive/printer/clipboard) redirection available with an XRDP server?

Any suggestion on how I can confirm this to save me hunting for something that does not exist!

Regards,
    Martin

Think about it -
    I have a host running whatever system.
    I now open a remote session to another host (whether rdp or just a shell). Neither system knows about the other (if they did, why would I want to log in to it remotely?).
    Once logged in, you can control everything on the remote, so you would ideally use a shared drive or space that is accessible to both systems to store common data.
    The clipboard contents only exist on the single machine and are inaccessible to the outside, unless you can place them in a common storage area, which is what the old win nt clipbook server did.
    If the printer is networked and set up, you can print to it from the remote host.
    ie the remote session behaves as if you were sitting in front of it and physically logging in to it through its local keyboard etc. The only difference with the remote session is that you are using input devices conected to the local host and a tcp/ip network connection.
    You have access to whatever resources are locally available to the machine.
    The only server that behaves differently is ftp, which by definition is set to copy files between 2 hosts and gives you no control over remote resources or access to execute programs - it only has access to the files on both resources.

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post

Think about it -
    I did . . .

Have a look at the -r switch.
    rdesktop(1): Remote Desktop Protocol client - Linux man page

rdesktop => Xrdp = Okay
    mstsc => Xrdp = Nope! Oh dear ...

Regards, Martin

run following command in your terminal

vncconfig -nowin &

it will make copy/paste work

Thank you for the suggestion. Sounds positive.

Couple of questions however:
    1. Where/how can I get vncconfig? It is not on my SuSE 11.3 system?
    2. Which end is vncconfig run? The server or client? From the closing "&" I am assuming it is the server, but ...
    3. What will this do? The manual is not very expansive.

Regards, Martin