Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: openSUSE-LXDE live CD now ready!

Blog Entries

Default openSUSE-LXDE live CD now ready!

Read about the new openSUSE-LXDE live CD (for openSUSE-11.1) here:
    openSUSE Lizards openSUSE-LXDE live CD now ready!

I suspect testers are welcome. Posts from those who have tested it are welcome !

IMHO this is great to see.

Blog Entries

Default Re: openSUSE-LXDE live CD now ready!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Read about the new openSUSE-LXDE live CD (for openSUSE-11.1) here:
    openSUSE Lizards openSUSE-LXDE live CD now ready!

I suspect testers are welcome. Posts from those who have tested it are welcome !

IMHO this is great to see.
    I burned the live CD and have been testing the liveCD on my oldest PC, an athlon-1100 w/1GB RAM and a nVidia FX5200 graphic card. Unfortunately, that 8 year old PC is too new to test the light weight nature of the LXDE live CD.

I've never played with LXDE desktop before. Its simple, but nice. I added Packman repos and installed smplayer and played some music videos. No problem. I did not see yast in the menu, so I simply used zypper commands. That was easy for me .... new users without openSUSE specific knowledge may struggle a bit.

I plugged in a USB stick, did not see a popup for automount, so I opened a terminal and manually mounted. Then I opened the file manager (PCMan) and noted an entry for the USB stick. I don't know if that was there before I manually mounted.

Overall, no complaints. I think those looking for a lighter weight desktop should check this out.

Me? ... I'm a died in the wool KDE user, an I have a shining to the eye candy of the latest KDE-4.3.1 ... but I thats me. KDE-4.3.1 is MUCH heavier. .... LXDE is for those who want something more light weight.

some more infos may be useful.

as you imagine, if you open PCManFM you will be able to mount your removable devices just because they appear on the left column, so you click on it and you will mount them.

about yast instead, it's available into the menu --> prerences, but LXDE looks not able to understand KDE-SubstituteUID, that means that not all yast modules are run as root.

i hope to create a new iso more lightweight.

any test/bug report is really welcome

Andrea

Firstly thank you anusbig1 for doing this next this isn't a thankless criticism but I hope constructive criticism.

I've tried you implementation of LXDE and tbh I find it lacking in quite a few places, I don't know what swyear does but I personally find is repos better and it has the root stuff solved.

Index of /repositories/home:/swyear

Even though it looks like from my experience I will downgrade some bits at the moment personally I would prefer that. Perhaps you can implement they way he handles the yast modules the same way.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anubisg1 View Post
    some more infos may be useful.

as you imagine, if you open PCManFM you will be able to mount your removable devices just because they appear on the left column, so you click on it and you will mount them.

about yast instead, it's available into the menu --> prerences, but LXDE looks not able to understand KDE-SubstituteUID, that means that not all yast modules are run as root.

i hope to create a new iso more lightweight.

any test/bug report is really welcome
    It looks really good.

I've played around with it some more since my initial posts. I discovered YaST can be easily run from terminal with 'yast' (ascii) or 'yast2' (graphical). The "other > install software" menu item addresses my worry that new users would not be able to figure out how to install software.

I'm not keen on running as root, but clearly once one installs on a desktop one can fix that and setup a regular user.

I've never used LXDE before. Its fairly easy to pick up some of the basic ways to configure.

I'm curious to read what sort of PC this will run on. Clearly my 8-year old PC (athlon-1100 w/1GB RAM) is over kill. Its been running stably on that PC for 3 hours now.

I suspect this lightweight openSUSE implementation may run on a PC w/only 128MB of RAM (albeit possibly w/out firefox), but I don't know for sure. Like you, I'm looking forward to reading of any user experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by FeatherMonkey View Post
    Firstly thank you anusbig1 for doing this next this isn't a thankless criticism but I hope constructive criticism.
    i'm here to improve packages and iso and to provide you the best LXDE esperience

I've tried you implementation of LXDE and tbh I find it lacking in quite a few places, I don't know what swyear does but I personally find is repos better and it has the root stuff solved.

Index of /repositories/home:/swyear
    i know swyear, he's involved into X11:lxde poject as well and lots of his work is into X11:lxde. On what i know, his repo is now obsoletes and he provides old LXDE packages.

Any way, what do you think to be missing?

The root problem instead, is not an LXDE problem, but a SLIM one.
    actually if you run lxde with GDM/&KDM you will have no problem, if you run it with slim (like any other DE) you will have policykit troubles. Actually I fixed it. is infact enought to run ck-launch-session to fix it. that fix is available into the iso. the only "root" thing into the iso is the slim conf file that allow autologin, so nothing related.

Even though it looks like from my experience I will downgrade some bits at the moment personally I would prefer that. Perhaps you can implement they way he handles the yast modules the same way.
    i think i missunderstood, can you please explain that better?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anubisg1 View Post
    The root problem instead, is not an LXDE problem, but a SLIM one. actually if you run lxde with GDM/&KDM you will have no problem, if you run it with slim (like any other DE) you will have policykit troubles. Actually I fixed it. is infact enought to run ck-launch-session to fix it. that fix is available into the iso. the only "root" thing into the iso is the slim conf file that allow autologin, so nothing related.
    After booting the liveCD I created a new user "linux", assigned a password, and then logged out of the desktop. I then logged in as user "linux" and that seems to work ok ...

I'm still testing with the liveCD.

exactly as i thought. thanks to confirm that. My only fear is that a xorg/x11 package upgrade will delete the fix, it-s infact located into /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc changing line 77 form

exec $WINDOWMANAGER

to

exec ck-launch-session $WINDOWMANAGER

Well this interesting I could of sworn I was prompted with xdg-su on more than just one click installs(But I confess since trying both I'm no longer sure I may have to apologise as this may of been a figment of my imagination)

Though why cant the LXDE menu be written to use xdg-su though I suspect this isn't as easy as said(But I do .desktops can be user over ridden but not really a fix)

As for policy kit issues mmm well took me some experimenting but wouldn't call it an issue, what I expected tbh just 2-4 lines to add.

Not really sure on the true fix but I guess it would involve some hack around for example I can fix it for my local user but this is a hack, I doubt you should really be tweaking the .desktop files for a proper fix(I wonder how kde does it)

I fixed it for example with sw_single I copied the desktop file to .local/share/applications/ then tweaked the exec to read /usr/bin/xdg-su -c "/sbin/yast2 sw_single"

Now i'm sure that is a hack around whether the correct approach would be to run a sed or duplicate(But different names) yast2 .desktops using the onlyshowin in the desktop spec I can only guess. I think this would be one for the mailing lists I notice the ymp handler does fall back to xdg-su(And something called xdg_menu_su) so perhaps you can get some insight from the author.
    Man first, have a try at Info, have a look at Wiki, if all that fails Scroogle!!!!!
    If I've helped click on the Rep button I don't know what it does but it sounds cool.

I am trying to download the iso, but it seems that the download server/link is down.
    Any updates about the download link.
    And how much is the size of the iso?
    Linux[openSUSE, KDE], PHP, MySQL, Wordpress, Tech News, etc :
    http://anl4u.com

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast