Looking for openSUSE package for Zim the deskto wiki

Does anyone know of an openSUSE package for Zim? (Zim - a desktop wiki)

Sounds like a nifty application and I’d like to try it, but I don’t want to have to compile it myself …

For whatever reason, Zim doesn’t seem to be particular popular among the openSUSE community, while it is for example for Fedora. I’d be curious to know why. Is there another application people prefer?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=zim&submit=Search+

Often enough I find that packages for other RPM-based distros (RedHat,
Fedora, Mandrake/Mandriva, etc.) will work on SUSE so perhaps give one of
those a try, though looking at the two steps required to install Zim (not
including the download/extract of course) makes me think it is probably
worthwhile to try it yourself… doesn’t even look like it needs ‘root’
access like it shouldn’t.

Good luck.

homoludens1000 wrote:
> Does anyone know of an openSUSE package for Zim? (‘Zim - a desktop wiki’
> (http://zim-wiki.org/))
>
> Sounds like a nifty application and I’d like to try it, but I don’t
> want to have to compile it myself …
>
> For whatever reason, Zim doesn’t seem to be particular popular among
> the openSUSE community, while it is for example for Fedora. I’d be
> curious to know why. Is there another application people prefer?
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
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=/YF0
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

If you just want to make interlinked notes, zim is cool. If you want the power of an actual wiki, I’d recommend giving MoinMoin Desktop Edition a try. It’s a full on wiki (a modified version is used, for example, for the Ubuntu wiki), written in python, and highly extensible with macros and such.

Its pages are stored as plain text (with markup, obviously) in the file system, rather than in a database - making it easy to manage them in some ways. This does cause questions about scalability, but nothing that would worry a desktop user.

It is a bit inconsistent in its handling of whitespace sometimes, and the documentation seems very patchy to me (which is odd, because it seems to be recommended in part on the strength of its documentation) - so if you’re comfortable running servers, you may well be better off with mediawiki or similar.

But for me MoinMoin is perfect because it’s so immensely easy to set up. You literally download and extract the package, change the paths and the name and such in a python script, run that script and then point your browser at localhost:8080, and voila, you have a wiki.

I’ve been using it quite a lot, so if you have any questions, start a thread and pm me to let me know.

ab@novell.com,

thanks, I’ll try one of the Fedora rpms. You’re right, I should probably do that little bit of compiling myself, but as a bits&bytes amateur, I tend to shy away from such things … :wink:

Confuseling,

just took at look the MoinMoin description, pretty impressive piece of software. If you don’t mind me asking, what are you using it for on your desktop? It’s pretty heavy artillery, isn’t it? :open_mouth:

:slight_smile:

Sure, ask away.

I’m using it principally for university notes, and the extra capabilities (tables of contents, buttons to show/hide sections (that’s a separate macro, but easy enough to install), inline duplications of sections of other pages, etc) have proved useful. I certainly could have done quite a lot with zim - and if it were just a ‘life wiki’ of scribblings, notes and reminders, I’d have probably stayed there - but this gives me a bit more freedom, even if it is overspecified for my needs.

It weighs in at about 60 meg for the application directory, and the wiki itself is 5 meg so far.

It’s pretty lightweight on system resources (doesn’t show up in ‘top’ except when you’re changing pages), and it’s stable (have had one or two slightly bizarre occurrences, but nothing troubling and no data loss). Pages load in one or two seconds, so no problems there.

The only real problem in terms of unwieldyness is firefox. Its textbox is a pig (nothing personal :)): I sometimes get 5 second delays for moving the cursor on my eee PC. If I’m writing something big, I just use the itsalltext extension to load gvim, which understands (and therefore colours) MoinMoin syntax and is plenty quick, or switch over to opera.

ab@novell.com,

I tried some rpms I found on the net, but couldn’t get them installed (usually some sort of missing dependencies error).

Yeah, tried it. Not easy at all. I tried to follow the instructions from Zim - a desktop wiki. Installed missing modules like a good boy, until I was finally able to try “make test”, but didn’t work. Pooohhhhh … Of course I should point out that most of the time, I had no clue whatsoever about what exactly I was doing there … :frowning:

Well, I’ve filed a request for including Zim into the openSUSE repositories. Probably faster than me trying to work out the intricacies of make / perl install … :\

September 24 and I’m in the same situation as the OP. No Zim for OpenSuSE (it was requested already more than once), no Zim rpm will install (Mandrake & RedHats give dependency errors as the user above noted) and rather worse, I’ve just been through ye olde compilation tarnation - literally hours last night - trying to compile and install it myself to no avail. It really doesn’t appear to be a particularly complex app but it appears that OpenSuSE’s Perl modules just won’t cut the mustard, even after trying to manually install any modules I could even get a hunch were needed from CPAN. Zim seems to have wanted Gtk2::Spell perl module but I tried and could not install it in OpenSuSE. Something about -pthread and it was finally one hoop too many. Somebody with more skill and experience can probably do it in a snap but it’s out of my grasp now.

It’s a really nice handy app, especially if one is a writer. Hierarchical note managers capable of being useful to an author are a niche in the app department that’s been frustrating to me for years. Zim is one of the best I’ve seen (good balance between clean and featured) and moreover it uses easily accessible, well organized plain text files so one won’t be in a tight spot if one can’t or doesn’t wish to use it anymore. Although its development is not substantial (1 author etc) it has been around a good length of time now and is apparently active/maintained. It would be a good app to have in the standard repos.

TeaSwigger, thanks for the support! :slight_smile:

I finally got Zim to compile, and have been playing around with it for a while. Really quite good, both as a simple notebook as well as an outliner. And as you mentioned, good outliners are still very rare under Linux (at least as far as I’m aware of).

There’s apparently been some development at the bug report I filed regarding including Zim in the repos, so perhaps we’re moving closer to out goal … :slight_smile:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I was just able to download and compile it as well on SLED 11 x86_64. To
do so I had to get a few CPAN modules and I put them in a custom location
(./zim/perllib) and then set the PERL5LIB environment variable to that
directory. Once done the whole thing worked (./configure) and then ran
through the ./Build script very nicely. I can now load it without any
problems. I am posting the entire directory (including libraries) to
ftp://ftp.novell.com/outgoing/zim.tgz and while I cannot guarantee it will
be there long it is an option for those who do not want to navigate
through the four CPAN modules I had to grab. Feel free to build again
after extracting the tgz as this is the original Zim source plus the
original CPAN modules (in ./Zim-0.28/cpan).

ab@mybox:> md5sum ./zim.tgz
712e364a96d7c3a24eaccf0e3f0c56e6 ./zim.tgz

cd ./Zim-0.28
export PERL5LIB=pwd/perllib
…/configure
…/Build
…/bin/zim

Good luck.

homoludens1000 wrote:
> TeaSwigger, thanks for the support! :slight_smile:
>
> I finally got Zim to compile, and have been playing around with it for
> a while. Really quite good, both as a simple notebook as well as an
> outliner. And as you mentioned, good outliners are still very rare under
> Linux (at least as far as I’m aware of).
>
> There’s apparently been some development at the bug report I filed
> regarding including Zim in the repos, so perhaps we’re moving closer to
> out goal … :slight_smile:
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
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=I1VA
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

You’re welcome, I was glad to see the interest. Very encouraging. How did you manage it if you can say?

My SuSE experience has been very positive so far but for the want of a few apps I’m struggling with.

Thank you. Your thoughtful effort is appreciated. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately this may be “over my head” a bit. I unpacked the archive and entered the listed commands in a terminal, but when I attempt to start the app it fails with the following feedback in the terminal:

Could not setup daemon: Address already in use at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/Zim/GUI/Daemon.pm line 159.

…which alas is a mystery to me. I’m sure your package works but perhaps something is wrong on my system.

The 19th was “Talk like a Pirate Day” to most folks, but I’ll make this day one too and say, “Arr!” :wink:

Good question, I’ve no idea why it worked this time! I have only very rudimentary knowledge of compiling software, so my compilation activities are much like the proverbial ape on the typewriter …

I just tried to follow the readme, added and updated some packages the compiler was complaining about, and presto! there I was with Zim working on my laptop!

lol! Ha. Wonder what we did differently. Do you have the KDE or Gnome version? I have the KDE. But why that would matter here I don’t know… tried installing anything that seemed remotely relevant as it sounds like you did. Frustrating, idn’t it. Well here’s hoping they spin up an rpm.

Hi
I’m in the process of packaging up perl-File-BaseDir,
perl-File-DesktopEntry, perl-File-MimeInfo and perl-Gtk2-Spell in my
home of the openSUSE Build Service. Things seem to be moving slow on
there at the moment, but they are scheduled.

I’m still playing with zim to get it to build as an rpm, so hopefully
will get this done sometime today (Unless our 2 1/2 year old has other
plans for me :wink: )

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.29-0.1-default
up 4 days 18:09, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.12, 0.13
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Very kind of you, thanks - and good luck (especially with the 2 1/2 year old)!

Hi
Well had to also build the perl-gtk2-trayicon, so that and zim are up
on the build server. So it’s just a matter of waiting… things are
slow :frowning:

up 5 days 3:59, 2 users, load average: 0.36, 0.20, 0.18

Hi
In the interim, I’ve uploaded the src and i586 rpms built on my vmware
machine and are available here;
<http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/4/6/2393623/zim_src_i586.tar.bz2&gt;
Unpack and cd to the directory via a terminal session.

If your using 32bit then just install from the command line, else
rebuild the src rpms.

sudo rpm -Uhv *i586.rpm

or rebuild from src individually eg

rpmbuild --rebuild perl-File-BaseDir-0.03-2.1.src.rpm
sudo rpm
-Uhv /usr/src/packages/RPMS/<your_arch>perl-File-BaseDir-0.03-2.1.<your_arch>.rpm

Where <your_arch> is i586 or x86_64, the last few lines of the build
will say wrote… the location of the file.

The sudo rpm command is all one line as well :wink:

You may need to install dependencies so install these via zypper from
the command line or YaST.

For example;

sudo zypper in gtkspell-devel

Also rebuild/install in the order of BaseDir, DesktopEntry, MimeInfo,
Spell, TrayIcon and finally Zim.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

up 5 days 6:52, 2 users, load average: 0.34, 0.41, 0.57

Amazing - thank you! Our hero. :wink: Thanks for your help in bringing this app to everyone using OpenSuSE.

Your package probably works great but alas, as luck would have it, it doesn’t here. Sorted out your directions (it’s a “vintage” PIII so the 32bit approach) and install of perl bits and zim went perfectly. Started zim. Watched the kursor kbounce as I kwaited but after a kbit it went kpoof. Launch from terminal feedback is:

Could not setup daemon: Address already in use at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/Zim/GUI/Daemon.pm line 159.

whereupon it is aborted. I’ve no clue what that means. Perhaps I should post for help on something in another place in the forums? Perhaps I have some sand in here instead of a Perl?

Must be my luck - more than a bit of that this week, plugging on Friday & Saturday what should’ve been done first thing in the week for some detail or other, from the car to the computer. None the less, the show of dedication on this offsets the frustration on my end and I remain pleasantly impressed with my trial of OpenSuSE thus far.

Hi
There isn’t an old instance of zim running is there?

Your running 11.1 KDE4.1 or KDE3.5? (Although I’m using Gnome)

up 5 days 15:35, 2 users, load average: 0.40, 0.41, 0.31

Hello :slight_smile: Checked that in top since that was all I could think it might mean. But there is no instance of zim and nothing that I can see even remotely related. Also the unit’s been rebooted since and I’ve started with new sessions, still same feedback messages.

Your running 11.1 KDE4.1 or KDE3.5? (Although I’m using Gnome)

It’s a new install of the latest 11.1 with KDE (4.3 now). Thanks again for your attention, it’s very kind.

Hi
All the perl bits are build on the OBS, there is an earlier version of
xim, however I changed it to a noarch package which is still scheduled
to build.

If you go to the following link and download the perl modules (not
zim though) and then run through the install routine (sudo rpm
-Uhv …) again
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/malcolmlewis:/Perl/openSUSE_11.1/i586/

If you open a konsole and run the command;

ps -ef |grep zim

There should be three running when it starts.

See how the above goes, then report back.

Another thought, have you unistalled the previous version from user ab
from your system? If not please do that.

up 0:03, 2 users, load average: 0.40, 0.51, 0.23