Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox closes instantly on BBC iPlayer Real Converter page

Default Firefox closes instantly on BBC iPlayer Real Converter page

I'm using Firefox 3.0.12-0.1.2-i586 from the update repo on openSuSE 11.1

I am trying to see if I can get Firefox to play audio from web-pages, instead of having to install Real Player. For example this page:

iPlayer Real Converter - Audio on Demand

but as soon as I click on any of the audio links on this page Firefox exits immediately, closing all tabs.

Is this a known problem?
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Firefox closes instantly on BBC iPlayer Real Converter p

How many plugins/addons do you have in Firefox ? Sometimes they can interfere with each other.

I thought I had 1 plug in, but after loading codecs etc for viewing web-based videos, I notice that Firefox now has 9 plug-ins, including mplayer. I have no idea how this happened.

Actually there appears to be 3 mplayer plugins. One is 3.55, labelled mplayerplug-in 3.55, describing itself as a Video Player plug-in for QuickTime. The next is QuickTime Plug-in 7.45, also describing itself as mplayer 3.55 Video PLayer Plug-in for QuickTime. The last is labelled 'Real Player 9', also describing itself as Mplayer 3.55, a Video Player plug-in for QuickTime.

No, wait, now that I look closely, 6 of the 9 plug-ins are mplayer 3.55, but all with different titles or labels.

Makes no sense to me.
    They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.

I found that vlc will open it. When you click the link and it says 'open with' go to /usr/bin and try kaffeine or vlc.
    You need somthing that will handle i-player formats. There may be a plug-in/codec for mplayer.

The BBC iPlayer plays in Konqueror without any problems - both video and audio.

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    The BBC iPlayer plays in Konqueror without any problems - both video and audio.
    Quite possibly - but that doesn't really tell me why it crashes so quickly in Firefox, nor increase my understanding of how to experience these data in Firefox.

try running firefox from the command-line i.e. open a console & type firefox & press enter. when it crashes,it will have some form of answer as to why it crashed there.

Andy
    To be is to do = Immanuel Kant
    To do is to be = Descartes.
    Do be do be do = Frank Sinatra

SuSE user since 7.0,Linux user since 1994

More accurately, on testing Konqueror against a selection of 14 of the links, in every instance Konqueror invokes VLC which plays OK for about 90 seconds. At that point there is a break in the programme that was originally transmitted. About 10 seconds later the stated programme begins in the form of total gibberish - as if 2 of these tracks were being played together at double speed.

So neither Firefox nor Konqueror works on my system on this web-site

Quote Originally Posted by deltaflyer44 View Post
    try running firefox from the command-line i.e. open a console & type firefox & press enter. when it crashes,it will have some form of answer as to why it crashed there.

Andy
    Not on my system it doesn't. I am immediately returned to the command prompt after typing 'firefox' and hitting enter. An instance of firefox is invoked, displaying the home page. When I browse to the iPlayer Coverted site and click on a link all firefox windows close immediately, but there is no information in my terminal session.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaflyer44 View Post

Andy
    I get exactly the same result (immediate close to FF) as the OP, when clicking a link on referenced website/page. Running from command-line gave this message:
    Code:
    /usr/bin/firefox: line 126:  5475 Segmentation fault      $MOZ_PROGRAM "$@"
    BTW, FF 3.0.12, KDE 3.5.10, opensuse 11.1 32bit.

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast