Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: What apps do user use on OBS-Education?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    25,928
    Blog Entries
    30

    Default What apps do user use on OBS-Education?

    I find myself going to the OBS-Education area for the chess game "crafty" ! In openSUSE-11.2 milestones, it appears that front end "xboard" has been dropped, so I have also grabed that from "factory" in Education. I probably could have gone to the "games" OBS project area, but to date I've found the OBS-Education version of "crafty" (and "xboard") has worked well for me.

    Just the other day, I also went there for the HTML editor "bluefish".

    For my own curiousity, what apps do other users like to use from that area ? http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Education/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    16,760
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: What apps do user use on OBS-Education?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    I find myself going to the OBS-Education area for the chess game
    "crafty" ! In openSUSE-11.2 milestones, it appears that front end
    "xboard" has been dropped, so I have also grabed that from "factory" in
    Education. I probably could have gone to the "games" OBS project area,
    but to date I've found the OBS-Education version of "crafty" (and
    "xboard") has worked well for me.

    Just the other day, I also went there for the HTML editor "bluefish".

    For my own curiousity, what apps do other users like to use from that
    area ? http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Education/
    Hi
    Gcompris for our son and QCad for me, have also played with netbeans
    but not on a regular basis.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.25-0.1-default
    up 15:40, 2 users, load average: 0.21, 0.16, 0.10
    GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 185.18.14


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    37,182
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Re: What apps do user use on OBS-Education?

    Just the other day, I also went there for the HTML editor "bluefish".
    Ditto here.
    In the past I have used Wine from there. But TBH I now favour Virtual Box for my needs. Which is more of a novelty as far as M$ is concerned.
    13.2_Laptop_Spec
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    25,928
    Blog Entries
    30

    Default Re: What apps do user use on OBS-Education?

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    In the past I have used Wine from there. But TBH I now favour Virtual Box for my needs. Which is more of a novelty as far as M$ is concerned.
    I never even noticed they ( "Education" repos ) had wine, until you mentioned it. I typically get my "cutting edge" wine updates from here:
    Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine

    While there is only one app I routine run under wine (called "autostitch" ) I do find that windows apps, where they work under wine, also run faster under wine than they do under virtual box.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    37,182
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Re: What apps do user use on OBS-Education?

    TBH. Virtual Box is hardly noticed when running and apps are really snappy for me. But then I hardly use it really. Once or twice a month maybe - other than for showing off
    Just watch lame old windows users Jaw drop when they see VBox in seamless mode and whirling desktop cube!
    13.2_Laptop_Spec
    My Articles
    Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,391

    Default Re: What apps do user use on OBS-Education?

    GRAMPS, the application for genealogical research and documenting family trees. Written in Python for the Gnome DE, but it works exxtremely well and displays nicely on KDE 3.5. Not tried it yet on KDE 4 or 11.2.

    It's been available from Education on OBS since 10.3 onwards, and pretty much the latest version. I used it on 10.3 and now 11.1.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SUSE Headquarter
    Posts
    22

    Default Re: What apps do user use on OBS-Education?

    Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    I never even noticed they ( "Education" repos ) had wine, until you mentioned it. I typically get my "cutting edge" wine updates from here:
    Index of /repositories/Emulators:/Wine
    Note: The wine package in the Education repository is the same as in the Emulators:Wine repository. It's just copied from the Emulators Repository to the Education repository once it finished it's build...

    With kind regards,
    Lars

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •