Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moblin v2.0 Beta on openSUSE

Exclamation Moblin v2.0 Beta on openSUSE

Moblin v2.0 Beta on openSUSE
    19-May-2009 11:09

Today Intel and the Linux Foundation released a technology preview of the Moblin v2 beta, including the Moblin User Interface (UI) that is optimized for netbooks. To give a sneak preview of the future of Linux on mobile devices, the openSUSE Project is providing a preview release of the Moblin UI on top of openSUSE. To [...]

More...

Default Re: Moblin v2.0 Beta on openSUSE

Looks really cool! But i din t understand...will moblin be integrated in future in openSUSE 11.2 or be separate? And where will be the support? Here or on the moblin main site?
    HP Mini 5101, openSUSE 11.2

100%-NETBOOK-USER
    100%-LINUX-USER
    100%-openSUSE-USER

Just to confuse matters more, I think Moblin is Fedora-based. Novell's contribution appears to be to apps and the new UI, Clutter, but maybe I'm wrong.

More information here:

Meet Moblin - see the future of mobile computing

The Moblin V2 User Interface Is Very Impressive

Main Moblin site: Join the moblin development community | moblin.org

Quote Originally Posted by saahne View Post
    Just to confuse matters more, I think Moblin is Fedora-based. Novell's contribution appears to be to apps and the new UI, Clutter, but maybe I'm wrong.
    <Beineri> the news story states "Moblin v2.0 Beta on openSUSE" - which is obviously wrong as it's based on SLED

Beineri isn't going to like me because I keep copy pasting stuff from iRC

so... let me get this straight... moblin is a new linux distribution for intel atom processors? or a new linux desktop enviroment for intel atom processors?????

Quote Originally Posted by innovamanager View Post
    so... let me get this straight... moblin is a new linux distribution for intel atom processors? or a new linux desktop enviroment for intel atom processors?????
    Moblin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moblin is an open source project focused on developing software for Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs) and other new categories of devices such as netbooks and nettops. [1] Intel launched the Moblin.org site in July 2007 and significantly updated the site in April 2008 with the launch of the Intel Atom processor family at the Intel Developer Forum in Shanghai. A custom SDK is also available on the site. The Moblin 2 OS was specifically designed to run on an Intel Atom processor in a netbook[2]. In April 2009 Intel turned Moblin over to the Linux Foundation.[3]
    At the 2009 Linux Collaboration Summit in San Francisco, Intel demonstrated that the Moblin 2 alpha release can load major components of the stack, including the graphics system, and start up in mere seconds.[4] A few weeks later, Novell announced their own rebranded edition of the distribution.[5] On May 19th 2009, Imad Sousou of Intel announced on behalf of the Moblin steering committee the release of Moblin v2.0 beta for Netbooks and Nettops for developer testing. [6] The second major release marks a shift from the XFCE desktop environment to a custom built UI based on OpenedHand's Clutter, a key piece of the Maemo and Sugar graphical environments, built around the standard Xorg X-Windows server. The new UI also includes an integrated Gecko engine web browser.[7]

Does this entail a Moblin forum on the openSUSE website?

In a fit of recklessness I installed it on the primary drive of my eeepc and I *certainly* could use some community support. Without putting too fine a point on it, it's been beaten with a beta stick.

But it does look very promising - boots preposterously quickly, and the UI is what a netbook UI should be.

unrevealed01 NNTP User

Exclamation Re: Moblin v2.0 Beta on openSUSE

Hi guys,

I'm using moblin2. I need find information regarding what version of xorg is moblin using? So i have tried /etc/X11/xorg.conf .. it seems it is not there at all. tried /var/log/Xorg.0.log and still no
    information regarding what version of Xorg is Moblin using.

Code:
    X -version
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. (R.J. Hanlon)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast