Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Network browsing unstable after wins setup

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Managua
    Posts
    306

    Default Network browsing unstable after wins setup

    I have set up a PDC using opensuse 11.1, as network browsing I was using broadcast and everything was working fine, now I have added wins support = yes and name resolve order = win bcast ...

    but now sometimes I get an access denied message when trying to access the server via network neighbourhood, I have enabled, samba server, DHCP server and Netbios in the firewall, note that the wins server address is given to the windows XP workstations via DHCP and when I check status, support, details the workstation has the wins server address, this is not always but very often.

    [global]

    workgroup = BLUE
    netbios name = suse-blue
    domain logons = yes
    domain master = yes
    local master = yes
    os level = 65
    preferred master = yes
    security = user
    logon path =
    logon drive = P:
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
    name resolve order = wins bcast host lmhost
    server string = opensuse
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    printcap cache time = 750
    cups options = raw
    wins support = yes

    [homes]

    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S, %D%w%S
    browseable = No
    read only = No
    inherit acls = Yes

    [profiles]

    comment = Network Profiles Service
    path = %H
    read only = No
    store dos attributes = Yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700

    [printers]

    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/tmp
    printable = Yes
    create mask = 0600
    browseable = No

    [print$]

    comment = Printer Drivers
    path = /var/lib/samba/drivers
    write list = @ntadmin root
    force group = ntadmin
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775

    [netlogon]

    comment = network logon service
    path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    write list = root

    [datos]

    comment = datos varios
    force user = eduardo
    guest ok = No
    inherit acls = Yes
    path = /home/eduardo/datos/
    valid users = eduardo easgs user1
    write list = eduardo easgs
    read list = user1

  2. #2
    PV NNTP User

    Default Re: Network browsing unstable after wins setup

    On Fri May 15 2009 02:26 pm, Easgs wrote:

    >
    > I have set up a PDC using opensuse 11.1, as network browsing I was using
    > broadcast and everything was working fine, now I have added wins support
    > = yes and name resolve order = win bcast ...
    >
    > but now sometimes I get an access denied message when trying to access
    > the server via network neighbourhood, I have enabled, samba server, DHCP
    > server and Netbios in the firewall, note that the wins server address is
    > given to the windows XP workstations via DHCP and when I check status,
    > support, details the workstation has the wins server address, this is
    > not always but very often.
    >

    <snip>

    Easgs;
    1. Does the PDC have a static IP? If not it could be that old IPs are being
    used by clients.
    2. On the PDC check the contents of "/var/lib/samba/wins.dat". Are the XP
    boxes and PDC listed? Is the domain name, (1b,1c) being assigned the IP of
    the PDC?
    3. When an XP client fails to connect, on the client(command prompt) run:
    Code:
    nbtstat -r
    You should see what is being resolved by Wins and Broadcast as well as if it
    is registered.

    Also check the contents of "/var/log/samba/log.smbd"
    & "/var/log/samba/log.nmbd" to see if something pops up. For debugging it
    might help to set the parameter "log level = 1" (also try level 3 if you need
    to) in /etc/samba/smb.conf. Be sure to restart smbd after changing the conf.

    --
    P. V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you." Red Green

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Managua
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: Network browsing unstable after wins setup

    1. Does the PDC have a static IP? If not it could be that old IPs are being
    used by clients.
    yes it has an static IP

    2. On the PDC check the contents of "/var/lib/samba/wins.dat". Are the XP
    boxes and PDC listed?
    yes it has the windows xp box and the PDC IP

    Is the domain name, (1b,1c) being assigned the IP of the PDC?
    yes but only in 1c not in 1b

    what means 1c and 1b?

    there were some extra virtual network adapters because I have vmware installed so I removed them, and in fact those virtual NIC were in the wins.dat file, I don`t know if that was causing confusion, I didn`t have the time to make more than 4 test and it was working fine.



    When an XP client fails to connect, on the client(command prompt) run:

    Code:
    nbtstat -rYou should see what is being resolved by Wins and Broadcast as well as if it
    is registered.
    with the problem

    broadcast = 0
    name server = 11

    broacast = 0
    name server = 3


    without the problem

    broadcast = 0
    name server = 3

    broadcast = 0
    name server = 3


    Thanks

  4. #4
    PV NNTP User

    Default Re: Network browsing unstable after wins setup

    On Mon May 18 2009 11:06 am, Easgs wrote:

    <snip>
    >> Is the domain name, (1b,1c) being assigned the IP of the PDC?
    >>

    >
    > yes but only in 1c not in 1b
    >
    > what means 1c and 1b?

    domain_name1B is the domain master browser.
    domain_name1C is the domain controller.

    Do you have "domain master = yes" in /etc/samba/smb.conf? If not make it so.
    Also be sure you have "preferred master = yes" (or the default auto)
    and "local master = yes" (this is the default value).It might help to execute
    the following:
    Code:
    testparm -v /etc/samba/smb.conf
    This will return all the parameters (including defaults) in your smb.conf. It
    is always possible to have a typo and you did not actually set a parameter
    that you meant.

    >
    > there were some extra virtual network adapters because I have vmware
    > installed so I removed them, and in fact those virtual NIC were in the
    > wins.dat file, I don`t know if that was causing confusion, I didn`t have
    > the time to make more than 4 test and it was working fine.
    >
    >
    >
    >> When an XP client fails to connect, on the client(command prompt) run:
    >>
    >> Code:
    >> nbtstat -rYou should see what is being resolved by Wins and Broadcast
    >> as well as if it
    >> is registered.
    >>

    >
    > with the problem
    >
    > broadcast = 0
    > name server = 11
    >
    > broacast = 0
    > name server = 3
    >
    >
    > without the problem
    >
    > broadcast = 0
    > name server = 3
    >
    > broadcast = 0
    > name server = 3

    <snip>
    The above look good.
    It could well be the virtual network that is causing problems. If the
    instability persists you might want to take a peak with "Wireshark" (formerly
    Ethereal)

    --
    P. V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you." Red Green

  5. #5
    PV NNTP User

    Default Re: Network browsing unstable after wins setup

    On Mon May 18 2009 05:38 pm, PV wrote:

    > On Mon May 18 2009 11:06 am, Easgs wrote:
    >
    > <snip>

    <snip>
    Easgs;

    One more thought, you should check /var/log/samba/log.nmbd to see if Samba is
    losing the browser elections for some reason. You might need to increase to
    log level to at least 1(one)in order to see this. This is done by adding to
    your smb.conf the parameter: log level = 1 . Restart nmbd after you do
    this. If Samba is losing the election please post back.

    --
    P. V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you." Red Green

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Managua
    Posts
    306

    Default Re: Network browsing unstable after wins setup

    Ok I think that the problem were the two virtual NICs, here is the content of the wins.dat


    VERSION 1 0
    "GRUPO_TRABAJO#00" 1242998111 0.0.0.0 e4R
    "SUSE-BLUE#00" 1242959594 192.168.137.1 192.168.195.1 192.168.0.2 66R
    "BLUEXPPRO#00" 1243043661 192.168.0.50 64R
    "BLUE#1b" 1242857489 192.168.137.1 192.168.195.1 64R
    "BLUE#1c" 1242959594 192.168.137.1 192.168.195.1 192.168.0.2 e4R
    "BLUEXPPRO2#20" 1243044277 192.168.0.50 64R
    "BLUE#00" 1242959594 0.0.0.0 e4R
    "SUSE-BLUE#03" 1242959594 192.168.137.1 192.168.195.1 192.168.0.2 66R
    "BLUE#1e" 1242959594 0.0.0.0 e4R
    "BLUEXPPRO2#00" 1243044277 192.168.0.50 64R
    "SUSE-BLUE#20" 1242959594 192.168.137.1 192.168.195.1 192.168.0.2 66R
    "BLUEXPPRO#20" 1243043662 192.168.0.50 64R
    the IPs 192.168.137.1 was the IP of the virtual NIC, I remove it but the wins.dat was not fixed so I delete it and a new one was created with this content


    VERSION 1 0
    "SUSE-BLUE#00" 1242961137 192.168.0.2 66R
    "BLUE#1b" 1242961137 192.168.0.2 64R
    "BLUE#1c" 1242961137 192.168.0.2 e4R
    "BLUEXPPRO2#20" 1243047931 192.168.0.50 64R
    "BLUE#00" 1243002204 0.0.0.0 e4R
    "SUSE-BLUE#03" 1242961137 192.168.0.2 66R
    "BLUE#1e" 1242961137 0.0.0.0 e4R
    "BLUEXPPRO2#00" 1243002204 192.168.0.50 64R
    "SUSE-BLUE#20" 1242961137 192.168.0.2 66R
    this is the entry of the nmbd.log before fixing the wins.dat file


    [2009/05/18 19:49:07, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_success(234)
    become_domain_master_query_success:
    There is already a domain master browser at IP 192.168.137.1 for workgroup BLUE registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
    [2009/05/18 19:54:10, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(336)
    become_domain_master_browser_wins:
    Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup BLUE, subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
    [2009/05/18 19:54:10, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(350)
    become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server from IP 192.168.0.2 for domain master browser name BLUE<1b> on workgroup BLUE
    [2009/05/18 19:54:10, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_success(234)
    become_domain_master_query_success:
    There is already a domain master browser at IP 192.168.137.1 for workgroup BLUE registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
    [2009/05/18 19:54:37, 0] nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c:domain_master_node_status_fail(247)
    domain_master_node_status_fail:
    Doing a node status request to the domain master browser
    for workgroup BLUE at IP 192.168.137.1 failed.
    Cannot sync browser lists.
    [2009/05/18 19:59:15, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(336)
    become_domain_master_browser_wins:
    Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup BLUE, subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
    [2009/05/18 19:59:15, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(350)
    become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server from IP 192.168.0.2 for domain master browser name BLUE<1b> on workgroup BLUE
    [2009/05/18 19:59:15, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_success(234)
    become_domain_master_query_success:
    There is already a domain master browser at IP 192.168.137.1 for workgroup BLUE registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
    [2009/05/18 20:04:27, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(336)
    become_domain_master_browser_wins:
    Attempting to become domain master browser on workgroup BLUE, subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
    [2009/05/18 20:04:27, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_browser_wins(350)
    become_domain_master_browser_wins: querying WINS server from IP 192.168.0.2 for domain master browser name BLUE<1b> on workgroup BLUE
    [2009/05/18 20:04:28, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_dmb.c:become_domain_master_query_success(234)
    become_domain_master_query_success:
    There is already a domain master browser at IP 192.168.137.1 for workgroup BLUE registered on subnet UNICAST_SUBNET.
    The question is, How can I flush all that bad and old entries from the wins.dat file without having to delete it or restarting the server?

  7. #7
    PV NNTP User

    Default Re: Network browsing unstable after wins setup

    On Tue May 19 2009 10:46 am, Easgs wrote:

    >
    > Ok I think that the problem were the two virtual NICs, here is the
    > content of the wins.dat
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> VERSION 1 0
    >> "GRUPO_TRABAJO#00" 1242998111 0.0.0.0 e4R
    >> "SUSE-BLUE#00" 1242959594 192.168.137.1 192.168.195.1 192.168.0.2 66R
    >> "BLUEXPPRO#00" 1243043661 192.168.0.50 64R
    >> "BLUE#1b" 1242857489 192.168.137.1 192.168.195.1 64R
    >> "BLUE#1c" 1242959594 192.168.137.1 192.168.195.1 192.168.0.2 e4R
    >> "BLUEXPPRO2#20" 1243044277 192.168.0.50 64R
    >> "BLUE#00" 1242959594 0.0.0.0 e4R
    >> "SUSE-BLUE#03" 1242959594 192.168.137.1 192.168.195.1 192.168.0.2 66R
    >> "BLUE#1e" 1242959594 0.0.0.0 e4R
    >> "BLUEXPPRO2#00" 1243044277 192.168.0.50 64R
    >> "SUSE-BLUE#20" 1242959594 192.168.137.1 192.168.195.1 192.168.0.2 66R
    >> "BLUEXPPRO#20" 1243043662 192.168.0.50 64R
    >>
    >>

    >
    > the IPs 192.168.137.1 was the IP of the virtual NIC, I remove it but
    > the wins.dat was not fixed so I delete it and a new one was created with
    > this content
    >
    >>
    >>
    >> VERSION 1 0
    >> "SUSE-BLUE#00" 1242961137 192.168.0.2 66R
    >> "BLUE#1b" 1242961137 192.168.0.2 64R
    >> "BLUE#1c" 1242961137 192.168.0.2 e4R
    >> "BLUEXPPRO2#20" 1243047931 192.168.0.50 64R
    >> "BLUE#00" 1243002204 0.0.0.0 e4R
    >> "SUSE-BLUE#03" 1242961137 192.168.0.2 66R
    >> "BLUE#1e" 1242961137 0.0.0.0 e4R
    >> "BLUEXPPRO2#00" 1243002204 192.168.0.50 64R
    >> "SUSE-BLUE#20" 1242961137 192.168.0.2 66R
    >>
    >>

    >
    > this is the entry of the nmbd.log before fixing the wins.dat file
    >

    <snip>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > The question is, How can I flush all that bad and old entries from the
    > wins.dat file without having to delete it or restarting the server?
    >

    Easgs;

    It kind of looks to me like it has been done. The wins information is also
    in: /var/lib/samba/wins.tdb. If the bad entries return you may need to
    delete both wins.dat and wins.tdb the restart nmbd.
    Code:
    su
    rcnmb restart
    You can make the windows clients reregister with
    Code:
    nbtstat -RR

    --
    P. V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you." Red Green

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •