Cannot get to the boot screen of the installation DVD

Hello,

I am trying to install the latest openSUSE 11.1 64-bit using an installation DVD downloaded.

I have my boot order set up so that the computer tries to boot from the CD/DVD drive first.

When I restart, I get the following:
0: NO emulation system type 00
1: NO emulation system type 00
Enter a choice:

Regardless of whether I enter 0 or 1, the system boots into the regular Windows vista.

Here are my system details:
Laptop: HP Pavilion dv4t-1300 Entertainment PC.
Processor: Intel Core2Duo.
Memory: 4 GB

It’s a new computer with a recovery partition of 13 or so GB and a single partition of (250GB - 13 or so GB). I want to use the openSUSE re-partitioning system during the install.

I did search for this problem. Even though I found some similar problems, I couldn’t find anything where, a person couldn’t get to the boot screen at all.

I hope someone could help me here.

Thank you very much in advance.

Look very carefully. Do you see it loading isolinux at all? What about a windows xp cd- What happens?

Hey, Thanks for the reply.

I don’t notice anything happening. I insert the DVD in the drive and restart. It puts up this text/DOS like screen with the above mentioned message which is:

0:NO emulation system type 00
1:NO emulation system type 00
Enter a choice:

Regardles of what choice I enter, it boots into the regular Windows Vista Home Premium.

But you didn’t say if you tried a windows install cd.

Also check your PC manuals re: reinstalling
There may be some kind of stupid idiot proofing in the bios to stop you doing what your are trying to do. I googled the error and it’s interesting but not helpful info. I have not seen it before.

Oh, I’m sorry about that. I can’t try a windows CD because I don’t have one. I didn’t get one with my laptop.

But, I am trying to download a live CD. I will try that. I will also download and try to install using a regular 32-bit version as soon as the live CD download finishes.

Do you think there is anything else I can try?

Any bootable cd

a windows one like this for eg: Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download — The NeoSmart Files

check and double check bios

Do you have access to another PC to try the disc in there?

Hey caf4986,

Thank you so much for helping me out.

I tired using the Win Vista Recovery CD you had sent me a link for. It worked fine.

The openSUSE live CD works fine as well. As a matter of fact, I’m sending this message using firefox from the openSUSE liveCD. I’m quite surprised that the liveCD recognized my wireless card from right out of the box.

Do you think I my installation DVD is corrupt? I checked the BIOS setup and everything. It looks fine to me.

For now, I’ll try and download the install DVD again and I’ll see what happens.

Please let me know if you have something else that you’d like me to try.

Thanks again.

You can install from a live cd, but I always use the dvd.
The .iso DVD you downloaded may well be OK, it could just be the way or the software that burned it. You should not need to download it again and certainly NOT if you used bittorrent.
I always download with bittorrent, and of course I use Linux anyway, so checking the md5 is really easy and burning always must be done very slow on good quality media.

A warning about wireless, some have found wireless work on the live cd and once installed it’s not. Just don’t panic. Come to the forum and get help.

cd install info
Installation/11.1 Live CD - openSUSE

dvd install info
Installation/11.1 DVD Install - openSUSE

Hi,

The 64 bit DVD gave me the same DOS-like message on a Toshiba L350 laptop. I used a “0” (the “1” works too) and the computer started from the DVD and I was able to install Suse 11.1 on this laptop without any problem. It recognized the WinXP installation (and Win7) and made a Grub start menu. The BIOS had the HDD as a Sata drive in AHCI mode and as far as I know this goes for the CDrom-drive too. (Some CD’s won’t start on this computer unless the HDD is switched to compatibility mode!). Afterwards I tried the Suse DVD on an older (non Sata) computer and I did not get the “NO emulation” screen and it also doesn’t appear on my laptop with the HDD in compatibility mode.

Greetings

Hay caf4926,

Thanks for helping me out. I don’t know if I was hitting too many keys or if the installation DVD was faulty. But, I downloaded the entire iso image again, burned a DVD and then tried installing.

The first thing I get is the same message as mentioned above… “No emulation system…”

But this time, I noticed one thing. If I enter 0 as a choice, it boots from the DVD. If I enter 1 it boots into windows.

So, I hit 0 and got the installation screen and successfully installed openSUSE on my HP dv4t laptop.

The wireless card was recognized and I could connect to the internet. I’m actually sending this from openSUSE. But what surprised even more was the fact that my built-in bluetooth was recognized. Now that’s something!!! I have no doubt linux is gonna be on every computer and on every office desktop in the near future.

Anyway, the only problem is that I have no sound. I guess I’ll have to do some research and maybe post in another section of the forum to get that thing working. That will be my task after I get back from work tomorrow.

Thanks again caf4926 for helping.

You are welcome.
Usually sound is straight forward, but post a question with info about your sound.
Open A terminal and type su and enter your root password, then type:

lspci -v

In the output look probably near the top for ‘Audio Device’ - something like my example:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Lenovo ThinkPad T61
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
Memory at fe100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Count=1/1 Enable-
Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Lenovo ThinkPad T61
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
Memory at fe100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Count=1/1 Enable-
Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Post Your info with your question

Help
SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE[/size][/size]

hey mes amis,
wassup? :wink:

if you got such a(n) message/error

0: NO emulation system type 00
1: NO emulation system type 00

it’s because you in your bios the sata compatibility is set to AHCI, change it to IDE compatible, so you can install open suse,
i dunno it’s a bug or not, but for me, i couldn’t proceed until i changed that,

best regards
:wink:

Having installed from the DVD several times, I have found that reply of “0” (sans quotes) boots from the DVD, and “1” boots from the hard drive. My BIOS SATA setting is “AHCI”. My first use of my new laptop did have the BIOS boot-order set to the HD first, and required a change.

As I do not see the OP prompts (“0” or “1”) from a liveCD, I assume that its origin is the DVD. It seems somewhat redundant, as the DVD includes the option “Boot from the Hard Disk”.

I have found that entering “0” followed by “Enter” key causes the boot to bypass the DVD, booting either to Windows or (if already installed), GRUB.

hi amigo
in this case, for me, entering 0 or 1, gives me same thing, just boots in a state which doesn’t let me to install (either boots from windows-in case i have one- or reboots)
but changing that option in bios, fix that
:wink: