GNOME Error

Whenever I’m logging in with gnome getting this error

Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.
Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not take effect. This could indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-GNOME (e.g. KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the GNOME settings manager.

Then it fails to load the volume control applet also. Then everything runs apparently well. But if I open any gnome-configuration related app [e.g. Change Background] then it shows the qouted message again. Same thing happened with all my accounts (And no, I was not graphically logged in as root >:) ). Then if I try to find bonobo process it shows bonobo-activati and killing it doesn’t solves the problem. I find two X running on tty7 (Is that normal?)

2018 tty7     00:03:25 X
 2104 tty7     00:00:00 X

. KDE3 is running well. KDE4 is also fine with its regular habit of crashing sometimes.
This is not abig trouble except gnome configurations. Still, Any HELP?

Sorry! I missed something. After starting gnome it shows this message for once.

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

And i shud mention that pidigin is not starting also.

A complete week passed but still i’m unable to find any solution for the above described problem. Is the problem to silly!! Now reply here!! Atleast if anyone can give me ideas like check thess configuration, etc that will do something. :(]

> Atleast if anyone can give me ideas like check thess . . .
>

check the thousands of hits at:

http://www.google.dk/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=9la&num=20&newwindow=1&q=“Unable+to+start+the+settings+manager+‘gnome-settings-daemon’.”

someone (not visiting the openSUSE forum in the week you have
apparently done nothing to help yourself [but bump this thread]) MUST
have solved their problem…perhaps you can learn how to, also…

and, then post the solution here…perhaps the next openSUSE using
person with the problem can find it IF they bother to search the
forum before posting and bump, bumping:

http://forums.opensuse.org/search.php?searchid=937275 (titles)
http://forums.opensuse.org/search.php?searchid=937269 (entire post)

Conficter

You’re referring to Ubuntu links where people take time to answer and not blast each other. If we keep this spirit here, people will start using a more user friendly distro. It’s not always easy figuring out what’s wrong with an OS (whatever OS it is), even for the most experienced one. Keep that in mind.

clauded1 wrote:
> You’re referring to Ubuntu links where people take time to answer and
> not blast each other. If we keep this spirit here, people will start
> using a more user friendly distro. It’s not always easy figuring out
> what’s wrong with an OS (whatever OS it is), even for the most
> experienced one. Keep that in mind.

and when no one here seems to know the answer, do you recommend the
questioning user just sit here waiting and bumping?

at least i gave her a place to BEGIN, as she asked in “At least if
anyone can give me ideas”

what did you give? keep that in mind.

Conficter

Hey Don’t Fight!
Well! I was a little busy for the last two days, so inspite of solving my problem i’m late in posting it here.
Thanks Conflicter, but the links you gave was of no work as googling is a common thing and before posting any problem here i always try to solve them myself, after efforts if i fail then i call for help. The solusns pointed by search engines are for ubuntu in most cases & solusns are not applicable at all.
whatever, as i mentiond apps like pidigin, sound applet was not working. So i thought it can be problem of GTK, then noticed totem, banshee these are failing to load also. So I added gstremer in list of suspects. So i tried to debug them.
When trying elisa after long days it also crashed & the bug report told it was unable to find gstremer-ffmpeg.so. So i searched all availble gsteramer-ffmpeg related packages & uninstalled them (resolving the dependency probs). Then restarting the X and logging in >> NO PROBLEMS FOUND! The problem regarding those alert are gone.

So what i’ve understood is, this problem can be due to some newly installed or upgraded package. Try to locate them by debugging the crashing apps & uninstall them. (ALERT!!>> Don’t remove any important package)

By the way,

i gave her a place to BEGIN, as she asked
I’m guy of 21, not girl :slight_smile:

> Hey Don’t Fight!

whoa, i’m not fighting…not even a little bit…

> as googling is
> a common thing and before posting any problem here i always try to solve
> them myself, after efforts if i fail then i call for help.

since you didn’t post that (and i can’t read what is not posted) i
assumed you MIGHT be like a few who post having forgotten to google on
‘gnome-settings-daemon’ and even if it points to a Ubuntu forum
thread it is STILL just Linux…and many Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat,
SLED, openSUSE and whatever solutions will work everywhere!!

we here are NOT totally unique…openSUSE is much more alike the
other distros than it is unalike…

>> i gave her a place to BEGIN, as she asked
>I’m guy of 21, not girl :slight_smile:

i couldn’t read that either :wink:
and, am happy you resolved the problem, man.

Conficter

Hey, just one for anyone who still has the same problem, I solved it by upgrading gnome-settings-daemon, gnome-desktop and gnome-desktop devel, not sure which one did it but my desktop theme has restored and banshee unfrozen.

I still have gstreamer’s ffmpeg installed, though removing it just incase.