Thread: firefox : no display specified

Default firefox : no display specified

I am running OpenSUSE 11.1 with KDE4 on a Thinkpad T61 with an nVidia Quadro NVS 140M.

When I am logged in as root and try to invoke firefox from the terminal, I get an error saying "No display specified".

Anyone have any ideas?

Blog Entries

Default Re: firefox : no display specified

By terminal you mean the command line login? You don't have a display running then. You have to login at the GUI login to have a display.

And remember NOT to do this as root
    Quote Originally Posted by ken_yap View Post
    By terminal you mean the command line login? You don't have a display running then. You have to login at the GUI login to have a display.
    Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB, GeForce 9600 GT, Amilo LCD 26", OS 11.1 x86_64, KDE4.2.4 (2)
    My wine tips & tricks

hanae NNTP User

Hi, i have the same problem. but i didn't undrstand the soltion proposed...maybe because of my bad english :s

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darthshak View Post
    I am running OpenSUSE 11.1 with KDE4 on a Thinkpad T61 with an nVidia Quadro NVS 140M.

When I am logged in as root and try to invoke firefox from the terminal, I get an error saying "No display specified".

Anyone have any ideas?
    Yes. NEVER,NEVER use firefox as root !!! They should put a fix in Firefox so that it would simply not start when invoked by root. That's the single idea I have, simply because it's the only idea that matters.

So, there is no solution, because there is no problem. You're trying something you shouldn't do.
    - Athlon X6 3.6 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, 30 GB SSD, 3 TB of disks, GT540, openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 + KDE 4.10 + GNOME 3
    - ASUS A73SD, Intel + GT610M Optimus, 6 GB, 120 GB SSD, openSUSE Tumbleweed

Anything that can go wrong.... will teach us

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

elle_famous NNTP User

If you find where to download or detail about Firefox ,Download Firefox Free,anti spam,server detail.

You should go to my blog and download free.

serverservice.blogspot.com