Thread: Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller

manjula_mh NNTP User

Default Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller

Can some one please tell me how to get my 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller work in opensuse 11.1 ?

it worked well with previous versions.

when i try to configure it with yast2 this is what in /etc/modprobe.d/sound file

options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
    # u1Nb.3CqPijR+eOE:82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel

then i try with alsaconf and it said

alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel

both way it doesnt work

can someone please help me

Blog Entries

Default Re: Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Control

Quote Originally Posted by manjula_mh View Post
    Can some one please tell me how to get my 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller work in opensuse 11.1 ?
    Try working your way through the openSUSE audio troubleshooting guide: SDB:AudioTroubleshooting - openSUSE

To determine if you have sound, please copy and paste the following speaker-test into a Gnome terminal or a kde konsole:
    speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav
    You should hear a female voice saying 'FRONT LEFT', 'FRONT RIGHT' five times.

If you have no success with the audio troubleshooting guide, then I will need more information if I am to make a recommendation ... So can you provide more very detailed information so a good recommendation can be given? You can do that, with your laptop connected to the internet, by opening a gnome-terminal or a kde konsole and typing:
    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

that will run a diagnostic script and post the output to a web site on the Internet. It will give you the URL of the web site. Please post that URL here. It may be that you need to run that script with root permissions. Please note that I need that output to understand better your PC's configuration.

Also, please copy and paste the following commands one line at a time into a gnome-terminal or a konsole and post here the output:
    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm -q libasound2
    uname -a
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/sound
    I also need that output. Hopefully with that I can make a good recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by manjula_mh View Post
    when i try to configure it with yast2 this is what in /etc/modprobe.d/sound file
    Code:
    options snd slots=snd-hda-intel
    # u1Nb.3CqPijR+eOE:82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
    then i try with alsaconf and it said
    Code:
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
    This difference in configuration files is nominal behaviour for alsaconf and YaST.

i don't know if this is any help, but i just spent a long time trying to get opensuse 11.1 sound working with an x60.

it finally dawned on me that the hardware controls (the three buttons top left of the keyboard) are now independent of the software mixer. and the volume there was set down.

so everything was fine - i just had to turn up the volume with the little silver button!

(and be careful - i almost deafened myself when things started working at full volume over headphones....)

EDIT - no, i'm wrong, the buttons control the pcm level in the mixer. in that case i have no idea why it wasn't working. sorry....

more playing around indicates there *is* some kind of bug with how the hardware controls interact with the pcm and master volume. it appears that sometimes that master volume changes, even though the hardware buttons seem to be changing the pcm level. if i can reproduce it, i'll file a bug, but if you can't hear x60 audio i suggest random adjustments with a mixer tool and the hardware buttons....