Thread: Samba GUI for entering users and groups

Unhappy Samba GUI for entering users and groups

Suse Linux comes along with a GUI to configure the samba sever, but without any GUIs to edit users and groups. So one must use either linecommands or webmin.
    ...or do you have another suggestion?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Samba GUI for entering users and groups

Quote Originally Posted by DieterErnst View Post
    Suse Linux comes along with a GUI to configure the samba sever, but without any GUIs to edit users and groups. So one must use either linecommands or webmin.
    ...or do you have another suggestion?
    If you just meant general user groups, including special ones you define for special purposes, the gui for that is at Yast --> Security and users --> User & Group Management.

The question is a bit ambiguous -- there are several purposes for "groups" in Samba and/or associated with Samba. What sort of group did you mean?

No. I mean users and groups to use in samba shares. Editing Yast user & groups just add/edit user in the unix environment, but they do not influence samba! At least, this is what happens. But maybe you can help me, for it is the first time I notice the Tab named "Autentification Settings" (or semething like it - I'm using the german version).
    The goal is: I want to be able to accesss samba shares from another computer: So, what do I have to do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DieterErnst View Post
    No. I mean users and groups to use in samba shares. Editing Yast user & groups just add/edit user in the unix environment, but they do not influence samba! At least, this is what happens. But maybe you can help me, for it is the first time I notice the Tab named "Autentification Settings" (or semething like it - I'm using the german version).
    The goal is: I want to be able to accesss samba shares from another computer: So, what do I have to do?
    Where is the Tab "Authen....etc"? I'm confused.

But if you simply want to add users to the samba user database: You can add any user who is already a normal Suse user on the SuseBox. This cli command will add the user gertrude:
    sudo smbpasswd -a gertrude
    You'll be asked for a password for gertrude.

Then from a windows or a Linux client, when attempting to open shares on the Linux server, use the credentials you just gave Gertrude on the server.

1) About the "Aut...", you find the tab navigating "Sicherheit .." (= "Security ..."), then "User and Group admin...", then the right most tab named "Autentinfizierungseinstellungen" in German (= "Identification Settings" or somethin like it).

2) A know about the possibility to add users with the command "smbpasswd -a gertrude", etc., but this is not a GUI

3) What makes the problem worst: KDE offers such a GUI, => "Persnliche Konfiguration" (="Personal Settings"), => "Samba", but under SUSE it does not work, as the settings are not stored)

You could write a shell script using xmessage or zenity to provide a minimal GUI.

Talking Re: Samba GUI for entering users and groups

That sound interesting: Could you tell me, where do I find Infos?

Still: It would be nice, if Suse would provide the GUI from factory, since more and more linux users partain to the class "standard PC user, with no technical knowledge"

DieterErnst wrote:
    > Suse Linux comes along with a GUI to configure the samba sever, but
    > without any GUIs to edit users and groups. So one must use either
    > linecommands or webmin.
    > ..or do you have another suggestion?

Did you browse http://us1.samba.org/samba/GUI/ ?